3 betting pocket pairs OOP

• wealthybrainer
      wealthybrainer
      Bronze
      I wonder why not to 3bet pocket pairs BB/SB vs BTN/CO? when we call, the pot is so small and when we are in the BB vs BTN our range is so wide and SPR is so big. On the 3bet pot we are more likely to get paid off, although, we should fold vs 4 bet but villain is more inclined to call IP. What are your thoughts?

Also pocket pairs are better IP and OOP it could be hard to play with.
  • 5 replies
    • kevsaf
      kevsaf
      Bronze
      Do you mean small PP? I often fold or 3bet 22-55. Only call 22-55 if villain is spewy or fold a lot to donkbets or check raises.

Medium PP play well in single raised pots and big PP is always 3bet pre.
    • wealthybrainer
      wealthybrainer
      Bronze
      yeah, small pocket pairs. On SB it is a 3bet bluff or fold but on the BB it's a call or 3bet bluff. When it is better to 3bet or call?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Small pairs play best in single-raised pots (where you can make a set and stack plenty of worse hands like overpairs and 2pairs) and in preflop all-in situations (where you just have a lot of raw equity vs unpaired hands).

Small pairs suck in 3b pots cos the SPR favours making top pair and playing for stacks and you'll find yourself missing the board too often.
    • wealthybrainer
      wealthybrainer
      Bronze
      thanks mbml,
      would you 3bet them when u have 200+bb effective stacks?
      First situation - IP 3bet with 55 (BTN vs CO), call if he 4bets?
      Second situation - OOP 3bet with 55 (BB vs BTN), but what to do when he 4bets?
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I like 3betting 22-55 from SB if villain folds more than 50% of the time, otherwise just fold. In BB I think calling is best since we're last to act and have very good odds. I don't like 3betting 200bb deep since we have very little fold equity and we can't shove against a 4bet. Probably depends on stakes u play, I guess nl50 and below calling is definitely better.