Discussion thread - preflop starting ranges

• 5 replies
    • wealthybrainer
      wealthybrainer
      Bronze
      One more questionable situation is MP vs CO,BTN 3bet. Pokerstrategy advise to 4bet bluff AQo,AJs,AJo,KQo.
      AQo, KQo have a good blocking effect, AJs has good playability OOP.

But what about AJo? It doesn't have a good blocking effect (blocks many bluffs Jx) So maybe better to choose A5s,A4s,A3s as a 4bet bluff? They have not bad playability OOP and also maybe even have a better blocking effect?
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I made my openrange based on large samplesize. U can try the same - just look at some marginal hands like KJo and if they show profit, keep opening them. Also u probably can widen your range if hand like JTs shows huge profit - try J9s etc. Then just balance it out against 3bets if needed. I open 65s+,97s+,ATo+,QJo+,KJo and A5s-A3s, A8s+ from MP by default.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by getdotacom
      I made my openrange based on large samplesize. U can try the same - just look at some marginal hands like KJo and if they show profit, keep opening them. Also u probably can widen your range if hand like JTs shows huge profit - try J9s etc. Then just balance it out against 3bets if needed. I open 65s+,97s+,ATo+,QJo+,KJo and A5s-A3s, A8s+ from MP by default.
      Pretty much exactly how I made/tweak my ranges.
    • wealthybrainer
      wealthybrainer
      Bronze
      When we are in BTN and we 3bet vs UTG/MP/CO open, they 4bet. Is it better to have 3 bet/calling range and 3bet/5bet range than just only defending by 5 betting?
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Actually AJ does have good blockers but in a different way to AQ or KQ

AQ/KQ block the nut type/top of villains range (usually his 4b range) while AJ also does this, to lesser to degree, with the A but also blocks some of villains mid strength hands (that would go into his call 3b range) with the J - QJs, AJs. JJ, JTs KJs)