This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Discussion thread - preflop starting ranges

• 5 replies
    • wealthybrainer
      wealthybrainer
      Silver
      One more questionable situation is MP vs CO,BTN 3bet. Pokerstrategy advise to 4bet bluff AQo,AJs,AJo,KQo.
      AQo, KQo have a good blocking effect, AJs has good playability OOP.

But what about AJo? It doesn't have a good blocking effect (blocks many bluffs Jx) So maybe better to choose A5s,A4s,A3s as a 4bet bluff? They have not bad playability OOP and also maybe even have a better blocking effect?
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I made my openrange based on large samplesize. U can try the same - just look at some marginal hands like KJo and if they show profit, keep opening them. Also u probably can widen your range if hand like JTs shows huge profit - try J9s etc. Then just balance it out against 3bets if needed. I open 65s+,97s+,ATo+,QJo+,KJo and A5s-A3s, A8s+ from MP by default.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by getdotacom
      I made my openrange based on large samplesize. U can try the same - just look at some marginal hands like KJo and if they show profit, keep opening them. Also u probably can widen your range if hand like JTs shows huge profit - try J9s etc. Then just balance it out against 3bets if needed. I open 65s+,97s+,ATo+,QJo+,KJo and A5s-A3s, A8s+ from MP by default.
      Pretty much exactly how I made/tweak my ranges.
    • wealthybrainer
      wealthybrainer
      Silver
      When we are in BTN and we 3bet vs UTG/MP/CO open, they 4bet. Is it better to have 3 bet/calling range and 3bet/5bet range than just only defending by 5 betting?
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Actually AJ does have good blockers but in a different way to AQ or KQ

AQ/KQ block the nut type/top of villains range (usually his 4b range) while AJ also does this, to lesser to degree, with the A but also blocks some of villains mid strength hands (that would go into his call 3b range) with the J - QJs, AJs. JJ, JTs KJs)