• engcomp
      engcomp
      Basic
      I am looking at http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/1854/2/
      EXAMPLE 4: Value bets

Before the flop - NL10 - Blinds: $0.05/0.10 - 9 Players
      You are in early position with QQ
      • Everybody before you folds.
      • You raise to $0.30. You have $3.80 remaining.
      • The player in the Small Blind calls.

Flop Ts9h3h - Active Players: 2 - Pot: $0.70
      • Your opponent checks.
      • You bet $0.50. You have $3.30 remaining.
      • Your opponent calls.

Turn 5s - Active Players: 2 - Pot: $1.70
      • Your opponent checks.
      • You bet $1.20. You have $2.10 remaining.
      • Your opponent calls.

River Kd - Active Players: 2 - Pot: $4.10
      • Your opponent checks.
      • You check.

Would you fold if opponent bet $2 instead of checking? Judging from the limping calls they could have QJ, giving them an OESD on the flop and turn.
  • 5 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      $2 is pretty much putting you allin considering a short stack (you're looking at the sss section), also small blind didn't limp.

but yeah, if you woke me up at night the answer would probably be "fold", the long answer is "depends".
      you have two queens so QJ is less likely...
    • engcomp
      engcomp
      Basic
      By limping calls I mean check/calls.
      Opponent's check on the river could be a trap, so hero's check is correct.
      A bet of $2 could be a suck-in?
      A bet that would put hero all-in could be a bluff?
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey engcomp,

Welcome to the PokerStrategy.com Forum!
      You can start a thread in the Introduce Yourself section where everyone can learn a bit more about you.

You are looking at the middle stack section, which is supposed to bring a very basic strategy that is suitable for beginners, as they almost don't have to deal with very hard situations after the flop. This is one of the exceptions.
      The basic strategy would say to fold here - you don't have a top pair or better.

However if we look a bit more deeply we realize that we would be risking $2 to win a pot of $8, which means that we need to have the stronger hand ~25% of the times.

Is our opponent bluffing 1 in 4 times? Hard to say without any information, however if you have seen your opponent being very agressive it might be a good call.

The king on the river completes a straight with QJ, but as Tomaloc said, QJ is much less likely as you hold two of the queens. The heart flush draw didn't complete, so that hand might be bluffing, or something like 87 if he even calls twice with it. On the other hand he might have something like KT or a busted flush draw with the King of hearts that got top pair on the river and now has you beat.

You can also check out our guide for the hand discussion forums here

Best,
      Kamen
    • engcomp
      engcomp
      Basic
      That’s a very instructive comment, thank you, Kamen. I never even thought of KT or 87, which shows what a beginner I am.
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      just shove him ,if you loose re-buy in the long term he wont be so rash as to cal you unless you you fishy.