From tight to loose

• engcomp
      engcomp
      Basic
      Hi, I am Helmut, became 83 years old on 8 June, but I feel like 30. I play mostly single-table $5 and $10 Sit & gos, where I start with AA, KK, QQ and AK in the beginning until only four opponents are left. Then I enter with almost anything because my tight image gives me tremendous bluff value. Half the time I come 3rd or 1st, rarely 2nd.

Recently I joined APL, which has a local live $22 buy-in tournament on Fridays (3 to 4 tables) and a $200 Freeroll on Saturdays (2 to 3 tables). I was extremely nervous because I had never played face-to-face. You should have seen me. I couldn’t shuffle the cards. I had to be told when to pay the blinds. I folded when I could have checked the BB. The only thing I didn’t forget was my playing style. Unbelievably I came first in my first four tournaments. My luck was off the planet. In the process, I won free entry to a $30,000 Championship tournament, where I didn’t make any money but came 37 out of 640 players.

It is amazing how loose live players are compared to internet players. It used to be the other way round, I read. I don’t like the live scene very much, even though most players are very generous and helpful. My last hand in the Championship tournament was AdQc. One player called my small-stack (7x10,000 BB) all-in with JJ. The flop was 9d5d4d, so I had 15 outs to stay in the game. Incredibly, half the table cheered for me to hit one of those outs, but my luck had run out.
  • 3 replies
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      Did you mean you turned 38 instead of 83? If not, well then I want to be just like you when I'm 83!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Helmut,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :)

83 for real. Wow. I can't even imagine that I would still be playing poker at that age. If I lived to 83, I'd expect myself to be a senile doddering wreck with no memory of cards. You certainly qualify to post in our Who is our oldest PokerStrategist? thread.

Have you checked over the site yet. make sure you check out the free money and if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Laz
    • engcomp
      engcomp
      Basic
      Hi Laz

Yes, I checked out the free money and went through all the steps:
      1. Signed up with Poker770
      2. Confirmed the registration
      3. Went to a lot of trouble to get both sides of my driver's licence into one file for your security check (you can only scan one side at a time) and received the following reply...

We are sorry to inform you that your user account at PokerStrategy did not pass the security check. As a result, your poker room account cannot be credited with the free money.

So I uninstalled Poker770, but I still recommend Pokerstrategy to my son and son-in-law, and I'll check the oldest strategists.

Best wishes, Helmut