This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

nl100 2 pair

• srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      opponent was a regular and i was playing him at two tables .
      he was calling too many hands oop and he was giving up without too much fight . he showed me two times that he was able to float oop and take the pot on later street . i am sure he 3 bets ak aq aa kk qq preflop so i exclude this from his range . think he will shows up on the turn with some two pair most of the times , ocasionaly a set and rarely qj .
      i also think it was better to try and get it in on the turn because he is almost never bluffing on this board and probably will show up with worse a big percentage .
      what are your thoughts ?

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
      2 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      BTN Hero ($106.60)
      BB LarsTingstrom ($166.40)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 2 players) Hero is BTN A:diamond: 5:diamond:
      Hero raises to $3, LarsTingstrom calls $2

Flop: 5:spade: A:heart: K:diamond: ($6.50, 2 players)
      LarsTingstrom checks, Hero bets $4, LarsTingstrom calls $4

Turn: Q:club: ($14.50, 2 players)
      LarsTingstrom checks, Hero bets $11, LarsTingstrom raises to $28, Hero calls $17

River: 9:spade: ($70.50, 2 players)
      LarsTingstrom bets $57, Hero goes all-in $71.60, LarsTingstrom calls $14.60
  • 5 replies
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      If you are sure he 3-bets QQ+, AQ+, the only hands which can beat you are 55, 99, A9, JT (while I think that he would not play 99 in that way and A9 that would be just a bad luck on the river since he would probably bet almost any river).

So the only hands you were to worry about were 55 and JT.

c/r with 55 does not make sence since if he wanted to protect against a straight he would have probably bet the turn and if he was not afraid of the straight draw, then he would just c/c. And I would say that he would probably c/c with JT on the turn.

And since he would also shove any two pair, then you were in most situations ahead.

So I think it was good play on the river.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Stop playing regulars :)

Also a turn check/raise is superstrong mostly.

I think I prefer a check behind on the turn, not much he can call you with anymore.
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      well it was a movie called revolver and a guy said :
      "the only way you can become smarter is playing better opponents"
      So i try it from time to time ... makes me put more thought into my game
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Originally posted by srohack
      movie
      That's where it went wrong :D

And it's definitely not true. If you just play bad players you will become a much better player, but against bad players. Sure, you learn other things and in a different way, but it's a lie that worse opponents can't teach you something. I've played 95% of hands against bad opponents, and I learned a lot from it.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Xylere and me are thinking that you should fold on the turn. Checking behind is not an option, your hand is too strong. His raise looks very strong and I put him on either KQ or JT.