live from poker?

• FCaesar
      FCaesar
      Basic
      Basically I am thinking about giving a shot in poker for my life.

Now, I am 25 years old, studdying in a good federal University in Brazil, soo I don't pay for it, and I am an inturn in a big company. I haven't been sucesseful trying to handle all toguether (university, inturn and poker), I am struggling in university, and am not really focused in the work or in the poker.

I have a mind right now that I don't want a cubicle job for the rest of my life. Soo I am really thinking about getting out of my inturn, cause I haven't been able to handle it and my university at same time, really getting scrud with my grades, like won't finish ever if continue this way.

I play poker for like 8 years, have been a successfull playing HU poker, long time ago I played the regular speed ones, but as it started to disapear from the map, I didn't think about giving poker a real shot cause poker didn't look good for me in long term, but was able to make something like 20-30K.....

Nowadays I am playing the Hyper HU 15$ with 2,5% adjusted roi for 2,7k (small sample) but fell like I have a lot to improve in the game, been taking classes from a coach and studying by my own and in a skype group. I see future in poker right now. And I feel motivated to give in a real shot for 6 months, fulltime... Cause making it part time don't work imo, at least for me, because it looks like I don't focus in poker to learn it to the level of living from it, and I don't focus in university enought to finish it.

Soo anyways I will get out of my inturn.

And about university, I am thinking about locking it for 6 months while a give this fulltime shot at poker.
      And after 6 months I expect to already have a big enought sample and knowledge to know if I should try to live from it.
      If the results don't go well, or if I don't fell like I want to live from it, I get back to my university finish it and live the normal life, just will have "lost" 6 months, but if it goes right, oh boy, life will just get started...
  • 12 replies
    • fred7790
      fred7790
      Bronze
      I had to make a similar decision some time ago. I'm not gonna give you the answer, but some things to consider:

-its likely you will be able to make much more money playing poker than in a regular job, but players level is increasing all the time and we can't be sure if this is going to be the case in 5 or 10 years

-probably your family wont like the idea of you becaming poker pro (my parents claim they couldn't sleep for a week when I annonced them my plans).

-donwnswing make you feel terrible when you know you depend financially solely
      on poker

-sitting all day in front of a computer is not good for you eyes and spine (now I know it very well).

-not sure about legal issues in Brazil but if online poker is illigal or kind of grey zone there,
      you may have problems purchasing an apartment or a car with your poker winnings.

-the thing I really like about it is that nobody tells you what to do. You sleep as long as you wish, play whenever you want and don't give a fuck. On the other hand because of that playing poker professionlly requires some self-discipline.

Good luck whatever you decide
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      HU Hypers are a bit of a sticky situation for aspiring pros at the moment. If you think you can make a living playing $15s or $30s, then that's fine. A 5% ROI is maintainable on $15s and $30s.

However, any higher than that and "Divisions" have started up, where a pool of regs work to clean out the lobby from weaker regs (not necessarily weaker, just not in that pool) by sitting them instantly meaning they get no action from recreational players. Until recently there was a voting system in place that was pretty awful if you were looking at getting in.

Now, however, they've introduced a more quantitative way for players to get into the divisions and have a shot at recreational players. Basically, you need a good sample size and good EV ROI vs the division members (I've forgotten the exact numbers) and then you get into the division, and can break up your time between sitting players outside the divisions and open sitting and getting weak player action. However, although it is now much more possible to get in, you need to be prepared to play for a few months for potentially no income because you're fighting regs all day.
    • FCaesar
      FCaesar
      Basic
      Originally posted by fred7790
      I had to make a similar decision some time ago. I'm not gonna give you the answer, but some things to consider:

-its likely you will be able to make much more money playing poker than in a regular job, but players level is increasing all the time and we can't be sure if this is going to be the case in 5 or 10 years

-probably your family wont like the idea of you becaming poker pro (my parents claim they couldn't sleep for a week when I annonced them my plans).

-donwnswing make you feel terrible when you know you depend financially solely
      on poker

-sitting all day in front of a computer is not good for you eyes and spine (now I know it very well).

-not sure about legal issues in Brazil but if online poker is illigal or kind of grey zone there,
      you may have problems purchasing an apartment or a car with your poker winnings.

-the thing I really like about it is that nobody tells you what to do. You sleep as long as you wish, play whenever you want and don't give a fuck. On the other hand because of that playing poker professionlly requires some self-discipline.

Good luck whatever you decide
      Thx for answer , apreciate a lot your tips, were really usefull to know you had problem with parents too, cause things are going to go crazy here in my house for sure...
      about the "sitting all day in front of a computer is not good for you eyes and spine (now I know it very well)." Well, actually in my inturn I already stay 6 hours in front of a computer, the only diference is that I need to spend another 2 hours everyday in traffic to get in my desk.

Your comment really motivated me to have enought guts to give it a shot
    • FCaesar
      FCaesar
      Basic
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      HU Hypers are a bit of a sticky situation for aspiring pros at the moment. If you think you can make a living playing $15s or $30s, then that's fine. A 5% ROI is maintainable on $15s and $30s.

However, any higher than that and "Divisions" have started up, where a pool of regs work to clean out the lobby from weaker regs (not necessarily weaker, just not in that pool) by sitting them instantly meaning they get no action from recreational players. Until recently there was a voting system in place that was pretty awful if you were looking at getting in.

Now, however, they've introduced a more quantitative way for players to get into the divisions and have a shot at recreational players. Basically, you need a good sample size and good EV ROI vs the division members (I've forgotten the exact numbers) and then you get into the division, and can break up your time between sitting players outside the divisions and open sitting and getting weak player action. However, although it is now much more possible to get in, you need to be prepared to play for a few months for potentially no income because you're fighting regs all day.
      I know am updated about this stuff, actually the guy that is coaching me is coffeyay, the one that created the math for cartels of 60s and 100s.

And Hyper HU would be the start, I pretend to be able to learn and be able to be profitable in poker in all the games... of couse it will take a lot of time.
      Imo in future maybe 5-10 years omaha will be the next texas holdem...

And I think anyone who want to live from poker must be able to adapt for the new types of poker that are emerging like happened to Hypers in HU.

And with poker in tablets and phones I can say I see a good future for poker in the next years, lots of recreational players... but that's just my opnion about poker in long term...
    • fred7790
      fred7790
      Bronze
      One thing I didn't mention is that plaing poker from global perspective is poinless. You don't produce anything or help anybody. You just take somone else money for you. If you play poker for a living your morality is questionable (if anyone cares).
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Well you have an excellent coach in coffeeyay, I am also coached by him so I now just how good he is :D

As far as morality goes, you can say that about tons of jobs so I wouldn't really worry about that. If you work in a supermarket or in an office for some big corporation you aren't contributing anything noteworthy to the world. With the majority of 'normal' jobs around the globe you aren't really doing anything moral, just normal.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      My only advice is keep your options open.

By that I mean "finish your degree" if at all possible.

In any course of study, you come to a point where you struggle to find the motivation to finish. You may be hitting that point in university now.

You will hit it in poker too.

The same thing happened to me. I followed the advice, finished the degree, and found short-term jobs for several years. This allowed me to earn enough money to enjoy myself between jobs.

I changed careers twice after that.

So stay flexible, whatever you decide, try to be in a position to adapt to change.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • adelaar
      adelaar
      Gold
      @Fred

I disagree with you.

If you can earn money with poker it is not at all necessary to keep all the money for yourself.
      You can do very good things for the world.
      You can give to all kinds of welfare and good goals.
      You can help poor people and animals that are prisoned in the meat-industry.
      You can do so much to make this world a better place.
      (rich people always have foundations to help good goals)

You can help people to learn to earn money with poker so that they will become independant instead of being dependant of social security.

And if you still don't know to which good goal you should give your money, just open a thread to ask which player wants some money!!!!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, adelaar,
      Those are very good points.

A lot depends on a person's overall attitude toward money, and toward other people.

There are those who value accumulation of wealth over everything. All they want is "more".

Then there are those who enjoy the getting of wealth, but once they have it, they enjoy spreading it around even more.

I can think of business people in both categories.

I'm that there are some poker players who give away large portions of their fortunes, but I don't know of any.

Do you?

All the best,
      --VS
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      I would say definitely finish university.

If poker does go downhill (either in your country, globally, or just your game), it is so important to have something to fall back on.

And University gives you a hell of a lot of time where you are not studying for your degree to do things like play/learn poker.

It also will help with the family side. Imagine turning around to your mum and dad and saying:

"Mum, Dad, I am quitting my internship and my university to play poker"

vs

"Mum, Dad, I need to quit my internship so that I can focus properly on my degree to finish it. I am also thinking about playing poker for a living, and I think the best time to do that is the same time as finishing my course, because I have time for it and no other responsibilities. If it doesn't work out, I have my degree and can get a good real job, and if it does go well I can carry on with it after my studies finish"
    • FCaesar
      FCaesar
      Basic
      Thx a lot for all the answers, I have been put i a real lot of pressure, actually even my girlfriend, broke up with me cause she says he can`t accept to stay with someone who profission is playing poker, people say it was madness, said I was blind, and all types of stuff...

I received HUsng.com proposal for staking (50/50) and training me, what would fit perfecly in my idea of learing a lot of poker in these months I wanted to try it.

IIn the end I actually decided with a real lot of pain, feeling I am giving up of my dream without trying it, to finish my degree and continue in my internship. Going for the more easy way, and more stable if thinking in long term future, more solid career.

I know I have more dificult than other to make poker and university at same time, I end up focusing only in poker and going bad in universiy, soo until I finish my university, I will abandon poker completely, and it will take something like 2 years to finish my degree, and 2 years completely out of poker will send me back to start. Soo what I am saying is that I am completely getting out of poker, never say never, I know, but at least right now my mind is that I am getting out of it, just don`t have time to spend with something will not make my living.

Thx a lot for all insights, and gl for you all
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I did not understand the part - how it is not working for you to do both things? If you struggle at your current limit, you can play one limit lower and finish uni so you will not drop poker completely and earn few moneys, and not forget it.

I have been put i a real lot of pressure, actually even my girlfriend, broke up with me cause she says he can`t accept to stay with someone who profission is playing poker, people say it was madness, said I was blind, and all types of stuff...

One day would be cool to show her how good you live with poker so she would regret :)

But I also suggest you taking university, because it might be even more difficult later to finish it. Like I could theoretically take masters degree, if not playing poker, I have time for it but I feel no motivation, especially since for programmers in our country it does not add anything to the salary, all adds is what skills you have what is needed for the company.

Depending on your future job, you will have time after work to play poker, only it sucks if you work a lot with computer, like a programmer, then it hurts eyes to sit 8 hrs at office and plus after work. But if your real work with computer would be like 4 hrs a day and other time non computer work, or part time job, then you could still put some volume. And then later when you learn - decide to take shot playing for living.