Taken out

• darktoof
      Hey all,

Firstly hello to everyone, I'm new to the forum and to poker (been playing online for around 2-3 weeks now)

I have a bit of a question - what would everyone else have done in the below situation - did I play it wrong?

I was playing NL2

I drew Ad Ac in the BB

6x people called and raised to $0.05 (i now realize this was a mistake and should have just raised 4x BB + 1 for everyone in the hand and just taken the blinds)

The 6xpeople then called again

Flopped - As 8c 3h

I bet $0.04 in an attempt to build the pot - 3x people fold and 3x call

5c then turns

I bet $0.08

2x people call and SB raises to $0.16 - this is the guy I was after - his VPIP is 74 and i had seen him play 39 hands and he played almost any 2 cards and seemed to just constantly raise - he did a re-buy 4 times in the space of half an hour

I thought that the only thing that could beat my hand at this point was a 2 and 4 so I raised to $0.24 - everyelse folded but SB raised to $0.32 (which i had seen him do countless times before even with a bottom pair) so I raised him to $0.40 and he called

Js turned on the river

I bet $1.14 - he called and wouldn't you know it he had a 2s 4c

I guess my biggest mistake was not raising more and just taking the blinds and secondly that I should have taken into account that when playing someone like him that he might just enter a raised hand with the worst hand ever that could complete the only hand that could beat me.
  • 3 replies
    • Lazza61
      Hey darktoof,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :)

Yes. You have seen the error. That hand was played more like a limit holdem hand with a lot of min-raising.

With that many people staying in, you would need to raise more preflop to get villains to drop speculative hands.

Then you need to stay aggressive post flop by betting 50-75% of pot to ensure that villains are priced out of any of their draws.

Having said that, villain probably would have stayed in anyhow but for the times he does stay in and miss, you must make him pay for his mistakes.

As a new player it would be well worth checking out our strategy articles and videos.

If you take up a free money offer, you'll be upgraded to bronze status which will open up more strategy articles and videos.

Have fun and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• darktoof
      Splendid advice thanks mate
    • schmoeJoe
      Welcome, darktoof!

It was good to open AA, but you could've bet a little higher (3BB+x). Most of them would've just folded to you. Who knows, villain may have folded as well and if he did, that's a free pot right there.

After the flop, instead of wanting to build the pot, you could've opted to thin the field by raising a little over half the pot. Or maybe even shove? AA's don't do well in a multiway pots.

A thing remember in the lower limits, don't try to get tricky with AA. Play it as it is. More often than not, weak players that see your aggression and don't give you credit will get stacked.

I'm no expert so take these words with a grain of salt.

Good luck at the tables! :f_biggrin: