Humbling beginnings

• AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      Hey Guys!

First off let me just say that this site is the nuts!

I'm down here in South Africa believe it or not.

I started with my $50 start-up capital (like many of you I'm sure) a couple off months ago. (playing on Titan)

I read through all the guides and strategies and started off playing SSS on the 0.05/0.10 cash tables. It went OK, but I got a bit cocky starting to play hands outside of the strategy guide without the necessary knowledge and was soon down to $30.

This really knocked my confidence and I avoided playing poker for about a month, maybe longer.

However, two weeks ago I reignited my desire to learn and become a better player. I re-read some important articles on the site and decided to hit some $1 freezeout tournaments and was it fun!

I took part in five tournaments, about 900 entrants at each one. I finished 200th 130th, then 13th and 31st and 102nd (or something like that). This created a $11 profit.

With my new confidence and knowledge I hit the cash tables and turned my fortunes around. I made $23 profit in three days and I am back up to $55. It was definitely not just luck, I dominated most tables as the majority of players at the 0.05/0.10 limit (I now realise) are pretty dire.

I'll try and update you guys on my progress. At the moment I am playing the odd $1 freezeout and hitting the cash tables trying to build my bankroll so I can move up a limit. Wish me luck!

Sorry for the lengthy post ;-)
  • 13 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by AfricanAce
      Sorry for the lengthy post ;-)
      LOL :D
      You should never be sorry for that;) Is up to us if we want to read whole story or not ;)

Good luck with your goals. Playing MMT to build BRM is something only few players try so will be nice reading your progress ;)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Good luck African Ace,

Nice start to your blog, look forward to reading more in future.

If your doing MTT's as well as cash tables at the moment, don't forget there are some good freerolls out there at the moment. If you check my blog out, From humble beginnings, how much pie will be eaten? (shameless plug), I've already won $180 from 2x freerolls recently. It all helps to build the BR up in a very cost effective way :)

If you are at least Silver status on Titan, there are $1k VIP freerolls each week, look out for them (Saturdays I think), or drop me a PM and I'll try to find the tourney ID for you.

Good luck my friend.

Bart.

EDIT: Titan "Weekly $1,000 VIP Freeroll 11-08 (8th Nov) 22:00, be quick though numbers are limited.
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      Thanks for the post Bart :D

How do you raise your status on Titan (to silver as you stated) and how do I view this progress (to the next level) in the Titan room? (I'm such a noob :rolleyes:
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Thanks for the post Bart :D

How do you raise your status on Titan (to silver as you stated) and how do I view this progress (to the next level) in the Titan room? (I'm such a noob :rolleyes:
      No problem, good to see a fellow Titan blogging :D

Need to build your playing points up to an average of 2,000 over 3 months. Think you start at Silver level (I seemed to), but need to maintain it or they'll drop you to Bronze.

Can check your level by clicking on "my account", then "points". Tells you current points total, VIP level & number of points required to retain or upgrade.

Any problems, just shout.

Kind regards,

Bart

EDIT: Don't go chasing points if you don't have enough though, not worth risking your BR for!
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice Bart :D

I participated in PokerStrategy's Bronze freeroll yesterday. I am pretty pleased as I finished 32nd out of 1500 entrants :D

I won $4.50 but my bankroll is still at $55 (I lost $4 on cash tables) as I don't have time to play a lot at the moment.

Will update again soon
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Hey AfricanAce,
      I'm also from South Africa. Where in SA are you? I'm in Cape Town.I've been playing since the end of september, but started on Silversands before that (now I'm on Full Tilt). I think the material available on pokerstrategy is really good, and if you can read a lot, and stick to the strategies, then you can really do well to build that bank roll.
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      Hi WildBeans!

Good to see a fellow South African :D

I live 25 minutes outside Cape Town in Somerset West.

I agree the material is really brilliant and helps a lot. Now I just need to keep sticking to those strategies and avoid the rush-of-blood-to-the-index-finger-syndrome :tongue:
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze

Now I just need to keep sticking to those strategies and avoid the rush-of-blood-to-the-index-finger-syndrome :tongue:
      tell me about it!
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      UPDATE: I recently played a couple of cash table sessions and got my BR up to $64 :D

However, I made a couple of dodgy decisions and am down to $60.

Progress is slow, but I am moving in the right direction, which is nice.

I only have about an hour a day available to play so don't expect me to move up too quickly ;)

PS I'll be playing some $1 freezeouts again soon
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      I'm up to $71 today :D

Just aiming to get to $120 so I can move to higher limit.

PS

Don't you just want to scream when your JJ AI is called by TT and the opponent hits a ten on the river?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I'm up to $71 today :D

Just aiming to get to $120 so I can move to higher limit.

PS

Don't you just want to scream when your JJ AI is called by TT and the opponent hits a ten on the river?
      Always, lol :D

My favourite has to be the AA against 93o though, you know the one, where the flop is blank, 3 on the turn & surprise surprise a 3 on the river. That one just makes me smile everytime :rolleyes:

Your going well my friend, keep it up, loving your work!

Bart.
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

This is my first post in ages as I haven't been playing as regularly.

Since my last post I went down to around $35 playing cash tables with limited success. I believe I just got bored waiting for hands with the SSS so I played a bit too loose.

Anyway I then decided to move my focus to $2 Sit'nGo's, and what an improvement!

I found myself much more focused because there were more hands to play with (more exciting).

I soon realised that the six-handed $2 double-up (where the top three get $4) is a great way of steadily building your bankroll,which I managed to do.

Now and then I also tried my hand at 30player $2 S'nGs. I managed a fourth place finish my first try (winning $7.50) and moments ago I won my first tournament!! I won $24 in the same $2 S'nGo and my bankroll is back up to $64!

I definitely feel I've found my niche in small S'nGs and will be diligently competing to further my progression.

I'm really starting to feel comfortable with my game now and I amexcited about the future ;)
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      I failed to finish in the money in my next $2 SnGs, going down to $53. However, I re-read the strategy guides and realised I'm suppose to be playing $1 buy-ins.

In my first $1 SnG (24 players), I finished first winning $12. So I'm back up to $65.

Some players at those SnGs are really useless, which means they usually hit their crappy hands ;)

E.g how can a guy call my AKs all-in with Q9o and then eliminate me, seriously!