Session Profit/Loss in Hero HUD

• Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      My Hero HUD currently includes information about the profit or loss of the session in progress, rounded up or down to the nearest dollar.

I included this in my HUD because I think that it is important to know where I stand in my current session. It should be useful, for example, to know when I have lost too much, so I could get away from the tables and try again at a later time. I actually used to manually write down my profits and losses before I used tracking software.

However, I recently considered to get rid of this info because I thought that it could build up too much unnecessary pressure. I noticed that I play a completely different game when I'm 2BIs up than when I'm 2BIs down. For example, when I'm down I tend to get desperate to get even and shove in marginal spots, while also folding a lot to minor aggression out of fear of my opponent setting me up against a monster hand.

So I'd like to know what you guys think about this. Does displaying your current profit or loss in your HUD make sense or not? Do you do it yourself? Should I maybe alter my HUD so it displays the profit/loss in buy-ins rather than dollars?
  • 8 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Harrier88 :)

I've moved this to Learning To Win for you, it may be a more appropriate place to get answers. :)

As to your question, I also used to play very differently whether I was ahead or behind so I don't have that information showing any more.
      The way I play at micros I usually know whether I'm losing or not anyway!

Regards,

Mal.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      I agree that it`s useless information during the session because, like you descripe, it cause you a mental leak. You chance your game depending have you lost or won and you don`t necessary notice it.

That is why most of the players should not check their account balance or graph middle of the session.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      I agree that it`s useless information during the session because, like you descripe, it cause you a mental leak. You chance your game depending have you lost or won and you don`t necessary notice it.

That is why most of the players should not check their account balance or graph middle of the session.
      Hi, Harrier88...
      I agree completely with NutzAreOk.
      In fact, although I have won/lost and winrate info in huds and popups, I specifically have marked them not to appear in my own HUD.

I try as much as possible to base my decisions only on information I have about the hand itself, and the players in it.

You know anyway whether or not you are winning that session.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Bottom line is: You should always try to focus to make the best decision(s) in every single hand.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for the input, guys!

I disabled this stat a few days ago and I believe that this has definitely helped my game, so I intend to keep it that way.

One possible alternative I thought of was to keep the stat hidden until I'm around 3BIs down for the session, after which it would pop up as a warning. I haven't been able to set this one up in Pokertracker 4, though. Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it? Otherwise, I'd be completely fine with excluding the stat like I do now.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      One possible alternative I thought of was to keep the stat hidden until I'm around 3BIs down for the session, after which it would pop up as a warning. I haven't been able to set this one up in Pokertracker 4, though. Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it? Otherwise, I'd be completely fine with excluding the stat like I do now.
      I don`t know how to set it and I don`t know if it`s even that way a good thing in your HUD. How do you usually feel if you are 3BI down? If you feel like tilting it may be a good to pop up but if you feel that you are still playing well I think it`s better not to pop up. And another question is: If you need it to warn you, will you stop playing then? I just want to call into question how it`s gonna efect to you if it will pop up after 3BI loss. :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I agree.
      As I mentioned before, I removed all the results indicators from the Hero HUD.
      I don't see any benefit to putting them back if I'm 3 BI down.

For one thing, I don't need to know, since I don't have set stop-loss for a session, since I play either to a set time or a set # of hands.

Even though I don't need to know, I have a pretty good idea anyway, although I do get surprised sometimes.

What benefit would you get from adding it back in when down 3BI.
      As far as I can tell, there is no provision in HM2 for filtering your HUD based on win/loss.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • manosellas
      manosellas
      Bronze
      :baby: