New Gal-where to start

• billnmex
      billnmex
      Bronze
      Hey guys and gals My little sis wants to start playing on line poker. She is totally new to the game. I play on poker stars but think the competition might be a bit much. Hope we can get a lot of objective advice on where she should start and what would be advantageous to me as far as the tell a friend deal. The tell a friend bonus to me is not as important as to where to get sis grinding. I am getting her into stars to be able to take their classes but also want her to be able to play small stakes REAL MONEY for experience. I feel the play chips can make a new player develop some bad habits.THANKS in advance for any help..
  • 8 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I think playing at Stars is fine, the competition isn't really that much tougher than anywhere else on the lowest limits.
    • billnmex
      billnmex
      Bronze
      Thanks Harrier88, I am pretty new to on-line poker myself and was told the caliber of player was much higher on poker stars. We appreciate the advice and since I have been playing on stars and we are wondering if you have any opinions on another site. Thanks
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      It's true that the field may be a little tougher at Pokerstars, but if you're playing the lowest stakes, it doesn't really matter where you play because the field is quite soft wherever you go.

888 might also be worth a thought, because it is often said to be one of the fishiest sites out there. You should find plenty of casuals there.
      I don't really recommend the iPoker rooms, because their traffic isn't great, they don't offer as many games, and the software seems to have some annoying flaws at the moment.

Overall, I'd still recommend Pokerstars, because they have the best traffic and a nice selection of games. Another advantage of them over 888 is that they offer Speed Poker, which might be a good choice for a beginner to get their feet wet.
    • billnmex
      billnmex
      Bronze
      Thanks Harrier88 we appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.I am really enjoying this site
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      It's true that the field may be a little tougher at Pokerstars, but if you're playing the lowest stakes, it doesn't really matter where you play because the field is quite soft wherever you go.

888 might also be worth a thought, because it is often said to be one of the fishiest sites out there. You should find plenty of casuals there.
      I don't really recommend the iPoker rooms, because their traffic isn't great, they don't offer as many games, and the software seems to have some annoying flaws at the moment.

Overall, I'd still recommend Pokerstars, because they have the best traffic and a nice selection of games. Another advantage of them over 888 is that they offer Speed Poker, which might be a good choice for a beginner to get their feet wet.
      888 does offer speed poker (called snap) and traffic is okay at micro stakes.
      but pokerstars should be a solid choice imho, 888 software can be tilting.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by booomm
      888 does offer speed poker (called snap) and traffic is okay at micro stakes.
      but pokerstars should be a solid choice imho, 888 software can be tilting.
      You're right. Sorry about that, I haven't played there for two years.

That being said, the traffic at 888's Speed Poker tables doesn't seem that great (at 18:30 CET, around 78 players at NL2 or NL5, 50 at NL10), so Pokerstars might still be a better choice for this format. Regular tables are fine, though.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Moved to Beginners Questions for you, it's a more appropriate place for it.

Also, if you aren't sure of which poker room you want to play at, here is the link to our thread where an expert at choosing them will help you out. :s_cool:

Just answer a few questions and you should get a reply very quickly.

Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

Good luck and have fun,

Mal.
    • ShadDoneWin
      ShadDoneWin
      Bronze
      Good luck to you and your sis!

I would just say, stars is slightly tougher but it's negligible at the lower stakes.

Even if it is, the only way to be the best is to play the best!