Blind defending based on steal size

• Suboptimal88
      Suboptimal88
      Bronze
      Well most people say , you need to defend your blinds an x% frequency depening on the raise size to prevent the opponent profit but you really need to create a very wide range for this and most of hands on the bottom of this range will not show profit oop.

Also most guides recommend a somehow tight range for blind defending , they usually contain suited broadways and highcards and 3-bet a polarize range.

I think blind defending based on raise size can be viable vs sb steals or on HU games but i dont know how applicable is this vs lp steals.

What do you think about it? do you really defend 50% vs a button steal?
  • 7 replies
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      Button steals up to 50% so we need defend tighter to get profit. You cant defend wider than stealer is stealing... as you will end up losing in longrun. Watch bearbaers video, he explains it perfectly.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/34081/
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Suboptimal88,
      I pretty much disregard raise size from BU or CO (I don't play much above NL10), because raise size is in a state of flux -- some people are still open-raising 3 or even 4 BB, and some people are cutting it down to 2.5 or even minraising the button.

So my call and 3Bet ranges are the same -- and fairly tight -- vs all sizes.

In BB vs SB though, if SB minraises, you are suddenly getting 3.5:1 to call, and you have a lot of scope for taking the pot away on the flop or later. You don't really need all that much equity to defend against that profitably.

Thanks for the link, Alvis$ -- that video is awesome,

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Suboptimal88
      Suboptimal88
      Bronze
      so what you are saying is that i should base my defending range on the villain's opening range instead of size right? and it should always been tighter ,, sounds reasonable.
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Suboptimal88
      so what you are saying is that i should base my defending range on the villain's opening range instead of size right? and it should always been tighter ,, sounds reasonable.
      well ofcourse if you know - opponent is openraising bigger with better hands and vice versa, you should adjust straight away! :) and hes play should be transparent to you.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you should definitely adjust your defend ranges vs villain's sizing. think about ranges against 3x and widen against lesser sizes

also the closer you are to microstakes the more you can get away with minraising a super damn wide range, to the point that i personally think that opening 3x is suboptimal in these games :f_biggrin:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hey, Tomaloc,
      vs a minraise from the button, do you 3Bet wider as well as call wider?

How do you handle 4Bets?

I've been trying more flatting and taking it postflop (or trying to).

(think NL 5€)

--VS
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      it's just a maths thing, you get a better price, you need to win less often when you call. you don't need to make a profit, just lose less than if you had just folded.

anyway yeah i both 3bet and call wider, and i'm somewhat more depolarized against min. when against 3x you'll mostly be on 5bet or fold mode against a 4bet, which is not the case when against min