Button/co strategy questions

• Suboptimal88
      Suboptimal88
      Bronze
      1. do you change your requirements when calling multiway or one player in a raised pot at lp and if you do how much you would loosen or tighten up if calling one player or multiple ones and what criteria do you use to construct your range?

2. do you treat the co position more like the hijack or more like the button? i see players who may call any two suited , 67o+ and so onnn on the button yet they only call 78s+ 22+ Ajs ,KQs+ on the co , what do you think about it?

3. if you are like 30bb how much would you reduce your calling on lp? would you include KTs type hands? how much do you reduce your suited brodways or even some high cards like AJ , KQ?
  • 6 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      1 - in multiway pots you want hands that can hit the nuts
      2 - depends on who is the button :f_biggrin:
      3 - just reload to 100bb easy game
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      AK vs 3 5% hands

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.60%  24.39%   2.21% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      MP3    26.59%  24.38%   2.21% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      CO     26.60%  24.38%   2.22% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      BU     20.22%  15.44%   4.78% { AKs, AKo }

76s vs 3 5% hands

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.87%  25.50%   1.37% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      MP3    26.88%  25.50%   1.37% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      CO     26.87%  25.50%   1.37% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      BU     19.38%  19.33%   0.05% { 76s }

Having the other players in the pot really boosts the relative equity of the low suited connectors.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • DMurph23
      DMurph23
      Basic
      1. In MW pots I am more likely to call with a wider range of suited cards compared to broadways that are easily dominated. For example, a TAG opens UTG and the 24/20 CO calls. So long as I don't have crazy squeezers in the blinds I'm definitely calling 43s. Would I call KTo? Probably not, if the original opener does not cbet often then it increases the frequency that I would call with this hand.

2.Tomaioc said it right, it depends on the button. By calling before the button we give him (and subsequently the blinds) great odds to call, so I'd want a hand that can hit strong, i.e. suited connectors, low-mid PP's etc. I'd be wary of calling 76o as it just didn't win enough money and this isn't considering all of the possible 3bets you would have to fold.

3. I don't know, I only play 100bb.

Just my two cents.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by DMurph23
      I'd be wary of calling 76o as it just didn't win enough money and this isn't considering all of the possible 3bets you would have to fold.

I just picked 76s out of the blue as a low suited connector.
      If you go much higher, it gets more and more likely you are going to be dominated.

Also, in a book by Doyle Brunson, he says he liked 7:d6 to play vs tight players.
      On low flops that hand is never far from hitting something. I don't play it much myself.
      Besides, you need a 5 or a T to make a straight -- so it is good if you already have it in your hand.

I always notice, though when it would have hit the flop.
      I notice J8o, too. It is totally surprising how many times that hand seems to hit flops.

it doesn't, of course -- I just notice. No idea why.

#3: Agreed. Never play w/ less than 100BB

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • DMurph23
      DMurph23
      Basic
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      I'd be wary of calling 76o as it just didn't win enough money and this isn't considering all of the possible 3bets you would have to fold.

I just picked 76o out of the blue as a low suited connector.
      If you go much higher, it gets more and more likely you are going to be dominated.

Also, in a book by Doyle Brunson, he says he liked 7:d6 to play vs tight players.
      On low flops that hand is never far from hitting something. I don't play it much myself.
      Besides, you need a 5 or a T to make a straight -- so it is good if you already have it in your hand.

I always notice, though when it would have hit the flop.
      I notice J8o, too. It is totally surprising how many times that hand seems to hit flops.

it doesn't, of course -- I just notice. No idea why.

#3: Agreed. Never play w/ less than 100BB

Best of luck,
      --VS
      76s is a super easy call, 76o is not the same though.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      76s is a super easy call, 76o is not the same though.
      You are quite correct.
      There was a typo in the piece you quoted.
      I'll go back and fix the original.

Thanks for noticing.
      --VS