the long a winding road

• bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      I have been a member of this site for a year and a half now and have decided I need to become more involved. I would say I am a solid MTT player but am still struggling with the cash games right now. I think that my biggest problem is not staying focused. I have some really good sessions where I feel I have made few mistakes but then I go and erase that hard work with a loosey session afterwards. Maybe posting results and progress here will help me stay on top of my game.

I play mostly NL25 FR games, I have 10000 tracked hands to date. Looking at my stats I think I put money in way too much with a vp$ip of 28 X( and perhaps see too many showdowns with a value of 26.

I am going to be posting hands more and trying to adjust my game a bit more, not just continue with my marginal play and hope for luck. Also I will try to watch alot more coaching sessions and apply the knowledge to my game.

A few things to note

current bank rolls
      FTP=$970 built up with MTT
      PS=$26.20

My goals right now are to fold more hands and get my PS bank too $200 so I can start moving some money around and work on bonuses, not that this is super important but it helps to have some rake coming back.

Thanks for reading and feel free to give input anytime
  • 37 replies
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      just won a live sit and go with a bunch of friends for $60 :D
    • AfricanAce
      AfricanAce
      Bronze
      I can definitely identify with playing too many marginal hands and sometimes losing focus at cash tables :rolleyes: .

When I decide "Right, now I am going to concentrate" it always pays off. I start folding more often and it works. I just need to avoid the "I'll have a go anyway" attitude :D

I'm happy I found someone who has been successful playing MTT as I have started playing some $1 freezouts with some decent results.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      I found time to play 350 hands today and was down about 0.75 or so so no news on that front.

I did however manage to play a much tighter game
      16 vpip
      6 pre-flop raise (a little low for my liking)
      4 post flop aggression
      12 went to showdown

I think this is much better than what I was running at before. The sample size is small and I didnt have many nice hands, lots of low pairs. This might be why preflop aggression is low.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      Played about 500 more hands over the past couple days. The bad news is I have drained my Stars bankroll but that is ok it wasnt bad play and I still have a Tilt br. Also my moneybookers account will be active soon so I will be able to move some funds around. I have taken the advice from posting some of my hands and reviewing others and started raising to larger amounts pre and post flop.

I feal that my game is progressing and I hope to see some results in a few days when I am done work for awhile and will be playing poker full time. Also it will be nice to have a good internet connection again and be able to play some MTTs.

Other than that I came second in another sit and go with my friends for a bit of money.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      $5 1rebuy 1 addon

BCBUDS1 finishes in 6th place and wins:
      $152.75

got sucked out on 1010 vs q10 allin preflop

also I deposited $200 more for bonus and withdrawl purposes so...
      ftp bankroll=$1301.05
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      Played 3 or 4 MTTs today with not a single cash. Maybe a bad play or two and I think I ran up against pocket AA once.

Also played 220 hands of NL25 FR and ended up even. Posted 3 interesting hands in the forums. Double up for $50 with AA vs KK that made up for getting KK cracked twice.

vpip was 29 so that is too high. I did have KK about 5 time and AA once and I did get a little loosey against the fish (as in posted hands). I had better watch out and keep tight in my next session. All the other stats look fine, maybe a little bit more post flop aggression would be a good thing.

I think I will play one more MTT tonight and that will be it for today

FTP bankroll=1255.77
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      I got another $55 for the tell a friend put it on titan
      - after 1000 hands of .05/.1 NL FR up $10 I am going to post a few hands

-MTTs I am running seriously cold and a few mistimed partial bluffs didnt help
      -I also lost $30 playing some stud hi/low

ftp bank=$1158
      titan bankroll=$65.87
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      3-4 mtts w/o cashing is not much really, they are very very VERY swingy, so far you runned good but it will eventualy end.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      "3-4 mtts w/o cashing is not much really"

I know it is not much but still disapointing. I dont think it is that hard to cash in these mid limit MTTs though. I finished close to the bubble with race type hands with a decent stack in 3 of them. They are usually fairly weak. I just signed up for the early double on tilt lets see how I do. A double cash would be nice.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      I see your getting disapointed not cashing 4 mtt's in a row... Overall a professional mtt player (or any good mtt player for that matter ) only get's Itm like maybe 12 - 18% but when he does he most often gets pretty deep and has a high roi% like 100 - 200% roi...

So you shouldn't feel bad running 10 - 30 mtt's without an cash... :)
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      I agree with you guys that you are not going to finish ITM all the time. I am playing in low buy in (<$10) and I believe finishing ITM >%20 is attainable because these limits are just full of donkeys that call/fold their stacks away. I did alot better today (partially motivated by Puciek saying my run will end).

My first tourney was a $2 buyin I ended up taking it down for $120

Then I was playing both early doubles and ended up cashing in both so I got $30 for the combined payouts + a bonus for cashing in both, if not the best dual finish bonus (I doubt it).

So a bankroll up date
      party gave me $15 to come back as they do from time to time so I think I will play some NL10 SSS tonight to try and raise a BR there.

ftp=$1296 + bonus from early double
      titan=$65
      party=$15
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      two failed tourneys today

a 0.50 rebuy and the $10 L-tryptophan snorefest

but I played NL10 SSS at party and cleared the $15 bonus and $15 more :D
      I am gonna leave that $30 in Party for now and try to clear some bonus on Titan playing NL 10 SSS. I am not sure how to tell if I am getting bonus from Titan but it should work.

oh ya and I got $20 for the dual cash.

FTP br=$1309
      party br=$30
      titan br=$65
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      Yes, in low limits you can get a lot more times ITM than in higher ones (try some 1$ sngs/mtts, you will notice very funny ROI) BUT it doesnt mean that you will ear more, there was calculator for eROI for mtts that will show you, that even while getting ITM more times than in 20$mtt, it still will make you less money.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      Loving the SSS. It is so simple and profitable, I dont know why I didn't try it out earlier. It is a slow progress but I combat that by opening up around 10 tables. I made a few mistakes at the start, mostly flopping top pair out of the big blind. I was getting all in with this now I am more inclined to check and call min bets and fold to anything else. So I am just playing SSS on Titan now with a few MTTs mixed in played the Saturday token tourney this morning and ended about 100th place so no cash. I have been playing NL10 SSS so far but am going to move up too NL20 SSS and will move back down if I fall to $50. I know I should have $120 before I move up to NL20 but it is not my only bankroll and hey it saturday night=lotsa fishies.

See you all at the freerolls in 14 hours and hopefully the BOTD (I dont think anyone is going to stake me though)

Titan br=$78
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      I just reached gold status. Saaaweeeet new vids. I have mostly been playing on Titan and a few MTTs on Tilt with no good results.

I have been getting hammered on Titan NL20 SSS and would be broke if it was not for my bonus getting cleared. I am fairly confident that it is variance since when I look at the hands that are -ive they are mostly JJ AK and usually in a race situation. I do still make a few mistakes especially with 10 10 and 9 9. I have started using the elephant HUD since I have 1000 hands on some opponents and am learning how to adjust to different styles of player. This will give me a bigger edge and hopefully my br will show it.
      I havent been posting any hands since SSS is pretty straight forward.
      Here are some of my stats

5300 hands tracked since last post and remember it is SSS
      I played some more untracked hands with similar results

vpip=7.6
      pfr=6.2
      AF=5.3
      showdown handrange=3.2
      went to showdown=39.3
      won$ at showdown=44.8
      won$ when seen flop=27.9% (this seams a little low for SSS no?)
      BB/100=-2.5
      $ won=-$27

I have withdrawn $200 from FTP to moneybookers to put onto Titan if I go broke b/c I cant grind NL10 it is too small. And also I am going to put a few bucks on stars for the BOTD.

so what does this add up too

titan br= $20
      ftp br =$1082
      party br= $30
      pending to moneybookers= $200
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Hey bkbart.

Looks like your a bss player turned short stacker. Your off to a decent start. Most of your stats look okay. Won $ when saw flop% is a little low. Also won $ at the showdown% is low. Mine is around 59% right now. As long as your making the appropriate plays in the right situations your numbers will come around. 1010 and 99 can be troublesome, only play in late position.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      just had a major uptick in 2 sessions (1000 hands or so)

up around $40 playing NL20 SSS
      I bounced out of the midnight madness on FTP holding AA vs QQ ouch....

New BRs

Titan br=$68
      FTP br=$1071.50
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      So things didnt go to well money wise in cash games since the last update. I had to deposit $50 from moneybookers onto titan. I am looking for leaks found some things I can tweak but the stats look good for the most part. I asked a question in the SSS hand evaluation forum that I hope a judge will answer. I am also learning how to use the elephant better and now have 15 values on the HUD to try to understand. I cant always remember them for quick decisions but I know the important ones and the rest will come soon. I am starting to get familiar with a few regulars and the last session went well. So all and all progress is being made...

On the MTT scene I did a Titan Token tourney this morning and finished near the bubble. Then tried a $5 on FT and bubbled there too. I put some moneybookers cash onto stars so I will be playing in the BOTD :D

rolls are

stars $22
      tilt $1070
      titan $78.5
      party $30
      moneybookers $130

equals $1330

see you at the BOTD
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      massive downswing going on today(well last night/this morning).

-15BI over 3300 hands

this has decimated my titan roll. Its a good thing for the bonus that I got released or I would be dipping into moneybookers again. I am not too worried because I am getting in good almost all the time and I am not just talking about races I mean I am usually way ahead. I have had a few where I was behind with JJ and once with QQ but there is not much you can do about those when you are in a HU situation.

Played 4 tourneys yesterday aswell and had a good showing in the BOTD and tripled my stars br :D The other three I was doing good in all of them and made pretty stupid mistakes in atleast 2 of them to get knocked out.

I am going to play more SSS on Titan and hopefully I can keep getting in good and grind through this downswing. I will probably play midnight madness on tilt aswell.

I got $20 bonus from tilt too.

I took $20 off moneybooker too make a sports gambling play. I put $10 on the over in the florida oklahoma ncaa football national championship. If anyone else reads this who bets sports I would jump on this fast since the number is going to go up. It is at 71.5 right now (which should be covered) if it gets up near 80 I will bet on the under and hope to hit between the two. If it pays off I would win 18 and if not I lose 2

rolls

titan $40
      stars $60
      tilt $1081
      party $30
      betroyal $10 (+$10 pending)
      moneybookers $110

total 1341

So I guess I am actually up $11 from my last post. Imagine if I wasnt getting sucked out on over and over.