Put the old change language mechanism back

• batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      I don't know about others, but for me it is very common to change languages from my native language to English. I hate reading articles and news in Romanian - it's not that they are not translated correctly, it just does not feel right for me. But I spend time in both English(reading) and Romanian forums and I also want to read local news and promotions. So I change the language once or twice each time when I visit PokerStrategy.com.

This used to be very easy, move the mouse in one location, one click, typing R or E(maybe twice, fast) and enter.

Now I have to click on that arrow and move my mouse in exactly the right place, and then visually locate the language to which I want to switch and then again move the mouse in exactly the right place and then click again. And the whole page is changing in the meantime - getting a dark shaddow, like for me the most important thing would be that popup, and not the actual page contents.

Alternatively, I could scroll down for how much it takes - varying depending on news size - which is also very bad. In this screen, this is very close, but on a news or on a full thread screen or on the main page, this is horrible.

Also - what is probably a bug - the old mechanism used to switch to the exact same page. If I had a daily rewind news, I would go directly to the English version. This was very comfortable as I did not have to locate the news again - as you know, the location of the news in the list is slightly different - and click on it again.

In summary, just put the old mechanism back. I doubt anyone complained about it.

If you really want to make an improvement, track the languages used and put 2-3 links on top of the page with the most used languages. You can add this below the status description.
  • 19 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, batmanbatmanbatman...

I don't change languages so I don't know if this will help, but why not just make favourites for your most-commonly-used pages in whatever language you read them in?

Just an idea...
      --VS
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      +1, lazy to actually write something
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I also preferred the old one, even though I think the only times when I changed languages was when I wanted to see comments from a different community (it's actually quite funny to hear the Germans bitch about the comics every day). It is still more of a hassle than it needs to be, and why fix what wasn't broken in the first place?
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, batmanbatmanbatman...

I don't change languages so I don't know if this will help, but why not just make favourites for your most-commonly-used pages in whatever language you read them in?

Just an idea...
      --VS
      Hey VorpalF2F, thanks for the suggestion.

There are just two problems here...
      If I would set favorites to optimize navigation on each site I visit, pretty soon half of the monitor would be covered with the bookmark bar.
      It makes no sense to add news as favorites.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hmmm,
      I use Firefox, and all my bookmarks are on a toolbar.
      In FF (and Chrome) you can have folders on the bookmark toolbar.

My PokerStrategy.com Folder has several subfolders.
      I could never do the moderator thing effectively if I had to manually navigate to each page.

I can right-click a folder and choose "open all in tabs", and which point all the bookmarks open at once, and I step through them with CTRL-PGDN and can read 20 or pages in short order.

If this sounds like something you could use, let me know, and I'll take the time to do a screenshot to show you what I mean.

I also have a Firefox extension that organizes all open tabs in a tree on the left of the open browser page.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      yes, the old system of changing languages was better

I don't want to bookmark each different community, I want the old stuff back

thanks
    • hAAtim
      hAAtim
      Bronze
      Hi batman i think they heard your request !
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hAAtim
      Hi batman i think they heard your request !
      no
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Hey VorpalF2F,

For you, the bookmarking system works. I was a mod myself and I used it.

It would also be an alternative to the current language system, but I deeply dislike that I have to use a browser built-in/3rd party alternative to overcome a design change on a site. Another alternative is to just browse with two open tabs, one for each language.

However, both alternative are worse then the old system, and since we have the opportunity to offer feedback and suggestions I thought I should take advantage of it and tell you guys(you PS, not you mods) when I feel that you made a bad design choice which is also affecting me.

Anyway, thanks for trying to be helpful!
    • hAAtim
      hAAtim
      Bronze
      Are you talking about this ?

• batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hAAtim
      Are you talking about this ?

That is the new one.
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi batmanbatmanbatman,

thank you for the feedback. Sorry to hear you find the new option confusing.

We are now in the process of reorganizing the website to unify the look and feel across different devices. We're aiming at making the website more mobile-friendly and therefore we have to think what to move, what to hide, etc. to provide the necessary room for the upcoming features.

I hope that with time you will get used to it. First moments might be unpleasant, though - especially if you got used to something and it was working fine, I understand. I'm also glad to see that you're not rejecting the alternatives - having 2 tabs open is a good idea.

Regarding the website you land on after the language change - you are right that you don't get the same page in a different language displayed. There is however a way to quickly get what you want.

Let's say you're reading the Daily Rewind in English and you'd like to check out the Romanian version, simply change the www to ro in the url bar. Here you can find the list of country codes, if after the change, the news doesn't display, it means it was not translated.

Hope it explains.

Thanks.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Hey Marta,

Thanks for the landing page tip. I already use when browsing mobile. I only mentioned it because I thought it might be a bug in the new mechanism. If it isn't so, then it looks like I'll have to deal with it.

As about unified design.... you should be having different designs for different devices & screen types. There are so many arguments that I won't even bother to start this discussion.

To put it in poker terms, what you are trying to do is play exactly the same strategy against any type of opponent in any poker format. Please tell the ones who decided to go for this solution that they are setting themselves up for failure.

I'm out,
      batman
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey again,

there are many ways to approach the design topic and which way is the best. As I'm not a web developer myself, I will not be defending any of the stands. We will be gradually working on changes, checking and correcting if needed, so hopefully we'll be able to spot things that are really not working (and fix them).

However, if you have any useful suggestions, please feel free to share them, I will then forward your feedback to the respective people.

As for the page displayed after the language change, I got an update from our IT department that next week we will bring the feature back (news, articles) - this will allow you to switch from one language version to another from the drop down box (language change option).

Thanks.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      batmanbatmanbatman
      Bronze
      Thank you!
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Thank you too :)
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      thank God
    • smilerthewindowtiler
      smilerthewindowtiler
      Bronze
      hi jusrt recently joined pokerstrategy and i am really impressed with all the things you guys have to offer. keep up the good work
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello smilerthewindowtiler and welcome to the community here!

Thank you for the generous words; Pokerstrategy aims to give the best because our members are the best. :s_cool:

Now since that was your first post, perhaps you would like to go to the Introduce Yourself forum and do just that, introduce yourself?

I've posted the link to the forum below, just start a new thread as you did here and off you go!

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1465

Meanwhile, if there is anything else you need or would like to know about the English community and poker especially, just ask and we'll see and we can do for you.

Very best regards you have fun, ok? :)

Mal.