What do you say when you can't say poker?

• StartlingGrope
      StartlingGrope
      Bronze
      A question aimed mostly at the pros and semi-pros who make much of their earnings from poker:

You're going to meet your partner's elderly auntie who thinks that poker is straight forward degenerate gambling. Perhaps you're going to the bank to ask for a loan so you can fix the roof. You may even be going to a charity fundraising event where people will ask questions about what you do. In short, you're in a situation where you can't say that you play poker for a living as it would be frowned upon.

What is your response when you're asked what you do for a living? Do you fudge an answer such as chip futures speculator or international markets trader. Do you throw a curveball and say you're an online games investor? Do you just lie and say that you're a lion tamer?

What's your answer when auntie Ethel comes doddering over to you, smelling of cat wee and projecting spittle in your face, when she wants to learn about your career?
  • 15 replies
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      For such old people you can easily say I work with computer and earn money from the internet :) I am myself not earning, but I have heard people just saying this and old people dont understand how money is earned on the internet anyway :)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I just tell people that I'm an investor.
    • ipeaceonu
      ipeaceonu
      Bronze
      Say equity analyst and hope they don't ask to elaborate because they don't wanna look dumb by letting everyone know they don't know what that is.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Microworking on the internet, translations, classifications, searches, etc...
      I actually worked on mturk for years and still spend a few hours on it from time to time to make a few $ when I need to buy something on amazon. there are quite a few sites that offer this kind of microworking, it is very plausible and sounds quite good. I am using this excuse right now with my inlaws, works perfectly for me especially since I have experience in this line of work, the only questions I hear are amount of work and earnings related.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      telling people/friends you play poker?

there was a discussion about it awhile ago.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Here's my post from that thread since 2 years ago:
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      When people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them I run a website (which is true).
      Most of them are suspicious so they ask what kind of website is it. I tell them its about poker (which is also true).
      And at this point things start to complicate... :D
      What? How? Rake? %? Skill? Geek? Addiction? How much you win? But how much you lose? Two monitors!?!?! Programs? Cheating! ... All sorts of questions...

I really haven't find a best way to tell people what I do for a living :)
      And I'm a nice guy, I really don't want to lie about it...

My parents were like: wtf, poker, gambling, and similar "parenty" stuff. But now they are OK with it. They see I make OK money, because I never ever ask them for it, not even during my student years when I wasn't working (I mean, I'm still not legally working). And I bring home food, buy myself clothes, bought a car, paying for gas, pay for my own bills and am "generally responsible". But they want that I finish school, which I have all intentions to :P
      My relatives and neighbours think I'm just a lazy son of a bitch who sits in front of computer whole day (which is partially true) and sucks life and money from parents.
      I don't care.

About my GF... She didn't want me to become a poker pro. And I didn't want to become one! (which is not entirely true)
      But now she realize that she can't do anything about it really :) I buy her things and that's enough for her I guess :P

Actually, I'm no poker pro... I mean... Poker is my "profession", I make 100% my money with it, but not just playing :)
      Let's say I'm semi-pro poker player, and semi-pro website admin :D
      But I'm just an amateur in telling people what I do for a living... :rolleyes:
      It's funny to read 2 years younger version of me. Lots of things changed in the mean time, but I still prefer "I work from home, via computer" answer. But it's also true that lately I don't care anymore what people think and I'm kinda supposed to promote poker anyway :D
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Fisherman
    • ShadDoneWin
      ShadDoneWin
      Bronze
      Online palm reader
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      bounty hunter
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Finance investor/analyst

Poker has a "ROI" term, tell them its all about Return On Investments :D
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney
      isn't that actually pretty accurate? :D
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      Originally posted by ragney
      isn't that actually pretty accurate? :D
      Until you show them the difference between EV roi and actual roi :f_biggrin:
    • meandi289
      meandi289
      Gold
      Say, you make money online
    • c0nstrictor
      c0nstrictor
      Bronze
      "return on investments" haha good one. But yeah I think working with computers is the best one. Or just say you're playing poker :)
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze
      "I make sure that others get more out of their money" :D