2nd half of 2014: GO BIG or GO BROKE (HUSNG blog)

• tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Hi guys! I'm not new here and this is not my first blog. In fact it's my third blog. I created my very first blog last year and it ended with full of whine and ended up being a fail. And my 2nd blog was a small PLO BR challenge which I gave up on halfway. A lot have happened since then (bad stuff especially). But I'm back, finally finding some stability since the start of the year and fully motivated to make a strong comeback.

I'm a 22 year old Singaporean doing university right now, playing poker only as a hobby (and for some spare change in the future hopefully)

Here is a brief history of my poker journey so far (Recalling from the top of my head):

August 2012: Started playing online poker, deposited $60, had no idea what brm is so played at NL10 straight away. Blew my roll on my 2nd day. Soon after I found pokerstrategy and got their free BR offer. Gave poker another shot, this time playing at NL2 and slowly finding success. Cashing in some freerolls helped too.

October-November 2012: Switched to SSS strategy at nl2 (since it was so much easier for me to understand back then) and played at 888. It worked out really well. Then found 6max SNGs at 888 to be really fishy and singled tabled them for small profits.

December 2012: $62 cash in a freeroll. Was a significant boost to my BR back then (About 20-25%) and it was my biggest cash.

January 2013: Saw a promotion for pokerstrategy members on William Hill which is something like rake $100 and get $100 back. So I moved there for that one month and played just hyper turbo DONs. Ended up losing $50 playing the DONs but won $75 on DON leaderboard plus some FDB and my $100 rakeback. So it was a really good month.

Feb 2013- June 2013: Moved back to 888 with a decent roll to play NL10 BSS. Initially built my roll from $400 to $700 and moved up to NL20, but had to move back down to NL10 after a small downswing (which I thought was big back then, haven't had the worst of it)

July 2013-Sept 2013: Forgot the reason why, but moved to stars (maybe because of zoom). Did okay at NL10 zoom, shot NL25 zoom, ran good for a while and then downswing and had to move down again (Similar to 888)

Sept 2013: Got 2nd in a 2.2 zoom mtt for $315. It felt super awesome with this cash after a few stagnant months

Oct 2013-December 2013: I got sick of NLHE and took a look at PLO. My first impression of it was that it was much easier than NLHE (less bluffing/bluff catching more of maths and stuff) so decided to move to it. Think I did okay. In this period I played lots of mtts on full tilt and ran like god. My roll went from $1200 to $2000, I think $600 profits from mtts. It was pretty sick.

December 2013-January 2014: Decided to fully focus on playing plo25 and told myself that I can do it at this limit. Started 2014 well winning several BIs and then boom, downswing again.

January 2014-April 2014: My worst few months in poker thus far. Realised I was a pretty mediocre plo player and lost several hundreds. Played other formats in between like badugi and 5cd. I was actually good at them but there was always a moment of tilt that was going to come and cost me a lot. Lost some money staking too. So in 5 months my BR went from $2500 to $500 plus. I decided to take a prolonged break from poker, and went into trading instead. But ultimately, trading definitely doesn't suit my mentality and it was much tougher for me to learn.

May 2014: Came back, tried to play what I was successful in before, NL10. But I kind of struggled, it's not easy to be as good when you stop playing the format for almost a year.

Late May 2014- now: Caught up with a Singaporean friend (Also a pokerstrategy member). He's a $30 hyper husng reg and we talked about the format. He gave me alot of advice and I was determined to give husng a try. Bought a video pack on husng.com too and watched some videos. They really helped, and it's great to have someone playing a similar format to motivate you constantly. Right now I'm playing 7s and having a great time and extremely confident in my ability (Which I did not have for a long time)

Here is my graph at 7s so far, initially I was pretty bad and hence the long BE stretch but at around the 1k mark I watched some videos beyond the video pack I bought and really started to understand the fundamentals.

Soon I will be staked for 15s (Since my roll is definitely not enough for 15s) and hopefully I keep improving!

After having a crappy first half of 2014, I'm hoping I will get my act together and turn 2014 into a successful year by having a big 2nd half of 2014. Go big or go broke, no more whine but more grind!

Note to mods: If I ever post a whine thread here please lock this blog!
  • 53 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Well well, it's a blogging we will go again. :)

I do hope the confidence keeps going, you do seem to know what you're about at this level and it would be nice to watch some hard work get paid off.

So just keep working hard and it should be all roses - oh and none of that whinge nonsense, remember, I'm a supaninja! :s_evil:

Have a great blog and we'll see you laughing at the 15s regs very soon, yes?. :s_cool:

Mal.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Well well, it's a blogging we will go again. :)

I do hope the confidence keeps going, you do seem to know what you're about at this level and it would be nice to watch some hard work get paid off.

So just keep working hard and it should be all roses - oh and none of that whinge nonsense, remember, I'm a supaninja! :s_evil:

Have a great blog and we'll see you laughing at the 15s regs very soon, yes?. :s_cool:

Mal.
      Hopefully, but I'm actually trying to avoid regs first and crush the fishes :D
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      It was nice to read about your past since I didn`t know anything about it. :)

Graph looks pretty nice this far but swings can always be brutal when playing hyper turbo games. I hope you will still stay positive and confident even if DS hits. :) Gl and crush them! :s_cool:

[X] Following
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Graph for today:

Was fun owning the fishes!

Very happy with how I played and adjusted to their fishy tendencies.

Hand of the day:

PokerStars - $6.85+$0.15|15/30 NL (2 max) - Holdem - 2 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 12.37 BB (VPIP: 58.88, PFR: 5.94, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 107)
      Hero (SB): 20.97 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3:heart: 7:heart:

Hero calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (2 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond: 7:spade: Q:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets 1 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Turn: (4 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets 2.6 BB, BB calls 2.6 BB

River: (9.2 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets 16.37 BB and is all-in, BB calls 7.77 BB and is all-in

Hero shows 3:heart: 7:heart: (Full House, Sevens full of Threes) (Pre 32%, Flop 87%, Turn 93%)
      BB shows 3:club: T:heart: (Two Pair, Sevens and Threes) (Pre 68%, Flop 13%, Turn 7%)
      Hero wins 24.73 BB

Was up 9-4 against this fish and he rejected me after that :s_frown:

:s_evil:
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      In and following!

GL Tommy :D
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Didn't play much today, was out for much of the day.

But still, pretty funny hand of the day:

PokerStars - $6.85+$0.15|15/30 NL (2 max) - Holdem - 2 players

Hero (SB): 19.33 BB
      BB: 14 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 16)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:club: J:diamond:

Hero raises to 2 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4 BB, 2 players) 2:club: 3:club: Q:heart:
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (4 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      BB bets 11 BB, Hero raises to 17.33 BB and is all-in, BB calls 1 BB and is all-in

River: (28 BB, 2 players) K:heart:

BB shows 5:spade: 9:spade: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 19%, Flop 4%, Turn 11%)
      Hero shows J:club: J:diamond: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 81%, Flop 96%, Turn 89%)
      Hero wins 28 BB

Sure like I'm ever calling with worse :D
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Today:

Not very happy because there were some cooler spots but oh well I can't run good forever (ev wise) coolers do happen.

On the bright side there's no big downswing today, and everything still seems to be going in the right direction.

Not much grinding tmr, will be out for most of the day!
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Decided to put few more games in today since I'm taking a break tomorrow:

Probably the worst decision ever :(

It's hard to tell whether you're playing your A game when nothing works out for you in game.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      I have some time today so I decided to visit the full tilt MTTs (where I ran good and won over $600 in 2013)

First mtt ship in 2014 :s_cool:

Think this blog gave me good luck, especially in a pot limit 6 CARD Omaha tournament :D

Great warm up for MM too!

No husngs today, will resume tomorrow!

Run good guys!
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      More run good at full tilt today, played only 2 mtts and final tabled both (which means 3 final tables in a row). Got 3rd in both for $51 and $56.28. I can't believe it :O

Didn't play too many HUSNGs today:

But it is still a wonderful day. Really looking forward to my stake and of course Micro Millions!
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Today is really one of those days where I felt I played pretty well and standard, but ran really bad. Times like this I feel like whining that it is unfair, I don't deserve this.

I realise that what's been lacking was faith in my ability, I needed something to show me that I'm doing well (graphs, EV line etc) rather than analysing my own decisions.

Today I don't feel unhappy with myself, even after losing to a fish 4 times in a row, I knew I made the right decisions and he just ran good.

Yea EV line is going down even with the right decisions and my mind gets a bit upset, but it balances out overtime when I cooler others (One can't run good forever)

Feeling positive, I have a good feeling I will be going BIG this time rather than broke :)
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze

Results are not the worst, but today was insanely frustrating.

Extremely card dead, coolers after coolers. The card dead thing today was pretty extreme. Ran into QQ-AA at least 80% of the time i decided to iso shove with 2:1 lead with Ax

I'm very happy with how I played today, it could be alot worse if I started getting impatient or do spewy plays.

Hopefully things turn around, today wasn't fun at all. Not every day is a happy day.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze

2000 games at 7s!

Some play bad in the first 1k games, and some run good after that. Overall I still believe I'm a winner at these games now (:

Hopefully I keep improving!
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Nice graph man, keep it up :f_thumbsup:
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      So, got my stake to shoot 15s today, and:

1) Hard to find fishes
      2) Super card dead.

Being card dead in hypers is like starting with 15bb every game vs a 25bb stack. Such a handicap.

I hope this turns around, or this stake is going to end horrendously.

PokerStars - $14.69+$0.31|10/20 NL (2 max) - Holdem - 2 players

Hero (SB): 25 BB
      BB: 25 BB (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7:diamond: 9:diamond:

Hero raises to 2 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4 BB, 2 players) 6:diamond: T:spade: J:diamond:
      BB bets 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Turn: (8 BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      BB bets 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2.5 BB

River: (13 BB, 2 players) A:spade:
      BB bets 8.65 BB, Hero raises to 18.5 BB and is all-in, BB calls 9.85 BB and is all-in

Hero shows 7:diamond: 9:diamond: (Straight, Jack High)

BB shows Q:heart: 9:spade: (Straight, Queen High)

BB wins 50 BB

This is what I mean, happened another time today too, flop FD with gutshot then end in misery
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze

Today is much better for me, I think the quality of my opponents are similar compared to yesterday, just that things are a bit more 'normal' today.

Hand of the day:

PokerStars - $14.69+$0.31|10/20 NL (2 max) - Holdem - 2 players

Hero (BB): 25 BB
      SB: 25 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 66.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 2:diamond: 9:diamond:

SB raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 5 BB, SB calls 3 BB

Flop: (10 BB, 2 players) 2:heart: 9:spade: 9:heart:
      Hero checks, SB checks

Turn: (10 BB, 2 players) 2:club:
      Hero bets 3 BB, SB calls 3 BB

River: (16 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:
      Hero bets 17 BB and is all-in, SB calls 17 BB and is all-in

Hero shows 2:diamond: 9:diamond: (Full House, Nines full of Twos)

SB shows J:heart: 6:heart: (Flush, Jack High)

Hero wins 50 BB
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      92s: I assume villain is unknown cause only 3 hands. What is the reason behind preflop 3bet with hand like this vs unknown player?
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      92s: I assume villain is unknown cause only 3 hands. What is the reason behind preflop 3bet with hand like this vs unknown player?
      He's unknown but in general most people in husngs open wide on the bu and can't continue vs a 3bet with most of his range. 92s is near the bottom of my bluff 3bet range (the entire 3bet range becomes polarised when added to my value range)

Hands like 97s, 98s which might be 3bet in cash games are better off flated in husng because they play well postflop and helps us win more chips in the long run than 3betting as a bluff/semi bluff

And as a result of the massive number of folds we get from the general population after 3betting, hands like 92s 84s are better off 3betted than folded :D
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      You have a point there. :) However I think that in these levels there is still a lot of players who open too tight and that being said I would wait and see what kind of player I have against rather than 3bet bluff in first hands.