KK on BB vs SB. keep running into trips! is there a leak in how I play??

• fullonbluff
      Hi Guys,
      This is happening to me on a regular basis at the minute
      and getting frustrated!

Should I have slowed down when he called the turn bet?
      Is there a massive leak in my game for these situations?
      Thanks for your help.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 125.8 BB (VPIP: 19.05, PFR: 4.76, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 23)
      SB: 105 BB (VPIP: 16.07, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 5.00, Hands: 60)
      Hero (BB): 113.4 BB
      UTG: 105.8 BB (VPIP: 15.79, PFR: 15.79, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 20)
      MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
      CO: 129.2 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:spade: K:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, SB calls 2.6 BB, Hero raises to 13 BB, fold, SB calls 10 BB

Flop: (29 BB, 2 players) 5:heart: 9:spade: 7:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets 18 BB, SB calls 18 BB

Turn: (65 BB, 2 players) Q:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets 42 BB, SB raises to 74 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 32 BB

River: (213 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:

SB shows 9:heart: 9:club: (Three of a Kind, Nines) (Pre 20%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
      Hero shows K:spade: K:diamond: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 80%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
      SB wins 204.2 BB
  • 9 replies
    • Tomaloc
      what you need is some rungood potion

i think your turn bet is a bit too large against a regular opponent though (how many worse hands is he going to call there?), and it leaves a very awkward stack to pot ratio for the river.
    • fullonbluff
      Hi Tomaloc,
      Thanks for the reply.
      Where can I get this run good potion....can you buy in bulk? :D

What would you suggest on the turn?
      A check or like half pot?
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by fullonbluff
      Where can I get this run good potion....can you buy in bulk? :D

What would you suggest on the turn?
      Just google it -- I'm sure it's out there. :coolface:

OTF I think its standard.
      The turn x/r is a huge warning sign though -- "something is defo wrong here."
      Now you need to access all the external information you can get.

Is this guy a reg? What stats do you have available?

What worse hands are going to play like this?

If you check my last blog post you'll see I folded AA or KK twice in a single session -- very rare for me.

Mind you, I played the two hands passively, and bet too small, so I kinda deserved getting into that spot. Also, the boards were soaking wet in my case -- less so in yours.

Best of luck,
    • fullonbluff
      Thanks VorpalF2F & Tomaloc for your great advice.
      Now after assessing the situation I have put this down to me not letting
      a big pair go when I should have.

Thanks a lot

• WpIoNker
      i better check and wait for agresion and put all-in, but its risky if A is on table
    • Suboptimal88
      bad luck i guess , i think you played the hand just fine , there is nothing you can do ott , thats poker.
    • DMurph23
      I think you have played the hand OK.

When a tight player calls SB vs BTN, you are almost always looking at low-mid pocket pairs, some suited connectors (depending on you, BB's image) and maybe a hand like AQo, KQo, KQs.

Your flop cbet is fine but you have to be aware that the flop is not hitting his drawing range very hard, i.e. he is an pocket pair (probably TT-JJ) or a set. When he check raises your DB he isn't messing around, but due to bet sizing you're nearly 7:1, making the call almost mandatory. I don't think your turn bet size ratio is bad, but in a 3b pot it makes you committed very quickly.

Let me know your thoughts.
    • CustardKid
      in this spot I would put villain on the hand range of 99-jj since he doesn't 3bet preflop we can rule out ak qq, 9 on the flop so we can say this is a blocker and think more like TT or JJ since the turn is a Q I think betting here is going to get him to fold TT JJ a good amount of the time and only shove 99, so I would check back turn and decide on river if villain bets (im thinking fold since JJ TT is most likely to check) and make a 25% value bet on the river since its a bad card for villain also folding to a push since I would say he has 99,

checking back the turn gains extra value out of TT JJ on the river and saves a lot of money from 99 I hoped this helped

regards ck
    • fullonbluff
      @dmurph23 thanks for your in depth response its great to help improve others game so thanks a lot.

TBH I think I mis read the hand in regards to villains range and x/r on the
      turn should of been alarm bells!
      If I'm honest I didn't believe he connected with the flop at least not a set, his stats were quite similar to mine and I thought he was calling AJ AQ not JJ+ and AK or I would of faced a 3b in most cases and when he shipped the turn i thought maybe he had AQ and he assumed I missed but just kept firing. Hence the call when he shipped the turn because I thought I was in good shape.

I think I should go back and go over the "ranges" lesson and put some more practice in that area. Let me know what you thoughts of my though process
      and tips on what I should improve on.

Once again many thanks