This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Ding Dong!

• StartlingGrope
      StartlingGrope
      Bronze
      That's the door. I'm not expecting anybody so I'm going to leave it.

Ding dong, ding dong.

That seems to be quite urgent ringing. There was once a time when I would have just answered it, timed out my hands and got rid of whoever it was as quickly as possible. Not now though. I have eight tables open, I'm playing well and missing hands is very definitely negative ev. Or, to put it a different way, I'm busy at work and time is literally money.

Dingdongdingdongdingdong

If that's my wife and she's locked herself out then I'm going to go ape. I grab my phone and call her. Now I find myself multitasking between playing hands, speaking to my wife and watching Netherlands v Argentina on TV. Not a good situation. She then starts a conversation and I don't hang up because I'm rather fond of her and I don't want her to divorce me. Eventually the conversation stops, but not before the same sound again.

Dingdongdingdongdingdong

Well I'm ignoring it. If it was that important then they'd call me. I settle my focus to the tables for a few seconds and I'm suddenly aware of a shadow at the window. It's the window cleaner and he's come for his money. He's a bloody idiot! He never assumes that nobody's in when they don't answer the door so goes around the house looking for signs of life. I ignore his gaze.

Knock knock

Oh, for God's sake, don't knock on the window. That's intrusive and really not cool. This is very awkward now. He can see me and I can see him and I think there's a social expectation to answer the door - after all, why wouldn't I unless I was crazy or a total bastard. Who wouldn't be annoyed if they knew somebody was in but they refused to answer the door. I'm not moving though. I have around $100 on the tables in front of me and I'm not risking a penny of it because some cloth-laden fool has turned up at my house unannounced.

"Window cleaner." he mouths through at the window, his breath dirtying the glass he cleaned two days earlier. I half look up and make a strange gesture at my laptop trying to indicate that I'm too busy to walk the seven metres to my front door. This would be a tough concept to get through to most people but particularly this guy who, frankly, is incredibly stupid. He stands and waits, obviously expecting me to get up very soon. I don't.

Knock knock

He's still knocking. Why won't he get this? Why doesn't he understand that if I was answering then I would have gone to the door when he first rang almost ten minutes ago. I'm now heads up on two tables and on high blinds in four more. I absolutely don't need lunatics with ladders distracting me. I put my head down and focus on the poker. He remains by the window with his expectant pose for a further minute or so before, at long last, heading off, presumably to bother somebody else. I finish second in both heads up situations and quietly curse to myself as I play the remaining games.

Our next conversation could be interesting. :f_confused:
  • 8 replies
    • andiofwbafc
      andiofwbafc
      Bronze
      Haha :D

Nothing worse than that. Yes your next meeting with him will be quite something I'd like to see lol
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      lol, awesome read.

I too am not answering door for anyone and I'm playing cash games :) . Unless there's a package that I expect :P
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Bronze
      :D ~ funny read!

~ some ppl just won't take 'no-answer' for an answer, will they!?

~ I have had a few similar sketches, and even had to lean-out of the window one time to tell a workman to just leave the cups on the doorstep! (I had made the mistake of making them a brew earlier, before I started grinding).
      He gave me a really strange look when I indicated I was busy, and would retrieve my crockery later, like I had just called his Mother a bitch or something!?

#somepeople!?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Moved to Small Talk, it's just as funny there but a little more appropriate I think. :s_love:

Regards and enjoy,

Mal.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      Haha nice, gg OP
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you're alone in the house, you might consider hanging a sign on the door,
      "If no answer, I am too busy to come to the door.
      Please [go [to]] <location or action suggestion> [and <further action suggestion>]"

If I'm alone playing poker, I call forward my home phone to my mobile and vice versa.
      Callers get a "line out of order" tone, and they can't leave pesky voice mail.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • StartlingGrope
      StartlingGrope
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi all,

Moved to Small Talk, it's just as funny there but a little more appropriate I think. :s_love:

Regards and enjoy,

Mal.
      Ah, the story of my life. :f_biggrin:

The travails of a poker player so bad that his experiences don't even warrant classification of actually being poker related. I'm doomed to roam in a parsnip laden online world of irrelevancy, counting and threads that begin with 'The poster below is'.
    • ipeaceonu
      ipeaceonu
      Bronze
      What i thought of when i read the thread title