push or fold mode

• 9 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I assume you mean the late phase when you're talking about the bubble?
      Trying to run deep is actually much more important in MTTs than just surviving the bubble.

But yes, Push-or-Fold is a common strategy in MTTs once the stack-to-blinds ratio gets to a certain point.
      There is a strategy article dedicated to the middle and late phases of an MTT, which also includes some charts that are optimized for this format. You can find it here. It's an older article, but I assume it's still relevant.

You should also find some more information on this in Asaban's Beginner's Course. I haven't watched it yet, but it should contain everything you need to know.
    • CustardKid
      CustardKid
      Bronze
      yes im referring to the later stages of a MTT when approaching the bubble, I wondered if the sit n go strategy article pushing ranges would be fine to follow when short stacked, or should I tighten up my range or open up my range since others tend to tighten up theres here cause its on the bubble?
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I'm not an expert on MTTs, but I think the ranges should be fine. If you deviate from them, I guess it would be better to play a little looser, because, as I said, it's more important to get deep in an MTT than to just finish ITM due to their payout-structure, so you need to take more risks.

It's probably better to practice with the ICM Trainer to get a feel for the ranges than to follow a chart, though.
    • CustardKid
      CustardKid
      Bronze
      ive never used an icm trainer ill check it out im used to cash games but I keep tilting after about 20k hands, so Ive decided to give tornys a go, thanks for the advice.

ive just made it to a final table as we speak.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CustardKid
      ive never used an icm trainer ill check it out
      Yes, do check it out. It's an invaluable tool to get a feel for the correct ranges.

Good luck with your final table and the rest of your tournaments!
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Diamond
      Hey, if you are new to mtts and want to learn def check out that link Harrier posted and you can find some good stuff in videos section.

If you are playing mtts and not sng than ICM trainer isn't for you, it can be helpful, but you wont be getting that kind of spots into mtts, because bubble in mtt most often is quite long way from FT, but it dont mean you can ignore the bubble, as in the long run everything adds up and you dont want to lose money in easy spots.

If you are serious about playing mtts and you can afford, get Holdemresources calculator or ICMizer, check these softwares out, i know that here are some great videos about these programs so you can understand them quite fast.

About your question, both of charts should be close to each other (your link and harriers), the main idea on the bubble we try to avoid high variance spots, so if you look at charts - you can fold bottom of suggested ranges or even more if you are super short but bubble will burst in next few hands, and it goes also the other way if you are big stack you can put the pressure on the guys who are shorter than you and they are trying to get into the money.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I would recommend my tournament beginner coaching. The mid and late phase lessons contain all the information you will need for these spots.
      You may find the course here:
      MTT Beginner Coaching: Discussion and feedback thread

Since it is taylored for tournament play it should be more suitable then the SNG articles are.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • slobodarp
      slobodarp
      Bronze
      push or fold
    • Jaquare
      Jaquare
      Basic
      As already mentioned i think the important is to get deep and not focus on ITM and result but more on your decision and u ll be fine over the long run!!
      + I advice greatly the videos of asaban (beginers'course)! They are awesome!

Regards,

Jaquare