Preflop adjustment to antes and shortstacking 25-40bb deep.

• Suboptimal88
      Suboptimal88
      Bronze
      I really have trouble grasping the concept of ante , i play mostly cash games so i never really researched about it but i think its one of the most important things and the main reason mtts are much different than cash games.

Well i know with antes you get better odds to steal and also your stack shrinks much faster than before , therefore you have to loosen up but the question is , how much should i loose up my open requirements? especially from EP and MP i have big trouble understanding how much loosen up is correct , for example in a very generic table how much should i loosen this range from EP : 77+ , AJs+ , KQs+ , AQ+? or this range from MP: EP range + ATs+ , KJs+ , AJo+ , KQo+ , 22+ ????

Also i have even more big trouble understanding how much i should loose up when im 25bb-40bb deep with or without antes because hands like suited connectors from EP or MP are generally loosing money in this stack depth.

Generally if the mtt pressure you through antes or because your stack is very low and you need to take a risk , how much should you loosen up your solid opening range? do you add middling hands like AT or KJ or even something like A9 kt QJs? what exactly are you doing and why you are doing it.
  • 3 replies
    • LuckyLukePS
      LuckyLukePS
      Coach
      Coach

This question is really so broad that you're unlikely to get many responses to it - far better to post a shortstack / post-antes hand and ask people - what is your opening range in this spot and why?

In general, I certainly agree that short-stacked we want to open fewer suited connectors in EP for example, as of course our implied odds get worse. Likewise, we can start opening weaker off-suit aces, especially on tighter tables, and off-suit broadways etc. In MP post-antes I'd generally open JTo-KTo type hands, but usually not doing so from EP. And OTB you can open close to any two depending on blind tendencies.
    • zgq123
      zgq123
      Silver
      Dear LuckyLukePS:

How do u do when someone raise before you, when dou u have pair or 89s+ or KQ, AQ, AJ ,AT?

How do u do with these trouble hands when someone raise before you and you have the position.
    • LuckyLukePS
      LuckyLukePS
      Coach
      Coach
      Again, what I'll do with such hands entirely depends on the context - mainly on stack sizes, positions, reads and game type. There is no general answer to this question. Poker is a situational game.

For example, an active player opens BTN with a 20bb stack, I'm happily shoving QJo from the SB. Tight player opens 50bb in EP, I'm in EP? Folding the same hand. A simple example, there are obviously 100s of different situations. Best bet for improving, post hands, analyse specific spots. Derive general understanding through looking at specifics, not the other way around.