From 10$ to 100$ - a noob's dream

• SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      Hey everyone

I'm 22 years old and I somehow got this idea that playing poker is not only playing the greatest game there is but that it is also a rather lucrative idea.
      See my winnings have always been small and I tilt from time to time so it hasn't been going that well yet.
      I deposited twice and needless to say I went "down to the green" in no time.
      I know that what I am pursuing sounds ridiculous to some of you (and I totally understand why!) but I really wanna get to that number. I wanted to start with 20$ or so but well uh, nevermind.

See. What I wanna do is reach 100$, buy a tablet that I want so badly so I can play anywhere AND prove to all my friends who are doubtful that I indeed can make it work!

I'm playing at Poker770 and I'm gonna start right now with some small 50ct SNGs and definitely stay away from cash tables for a while!
      I think my winrate at SNGs of that buy-in is pretty good, I usually end up being chipleader after a few hands or manage to stay in shape when I lose some chips when playing a good, raised flop.

I've been practising not only on freerolls (which are, mainly, a joke) but also with my own and mainly with a friend's money (which I did not gamble away except for that one time when I played cash and someone crushed my Kings with Aces :D )

I take this whole thing very seriously I bought a book, I really wanna buy a few more and I got me a little notebook where I write down all the plays where I lost a lot or all of my stack so that I can read and reread my most common mistakes and eliminate them!

That's it so far, I'm gonna keep you up to date!
  • 7 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      glgl
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey SRwtf,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

I think we would have a few people here who got that idea that poker may be lucrative. :tongue:

I certainly don't think having a target to aim for is ridiculous at all. If you look through the blogs and the "Successes and Challenges" board, you will see quite a few target threads.

Happy Fishing

Laz
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      No fancy graphs here
      Yesterday was the fishiest session of my life.
      An overview: I started with 10 euros three days ago
      I decided to only play small SNGs but they take too much time considering you have to end up first to have any serious profit in proportion with the buy-in.
      I had some crazy bad beats (KK vs 44 losing against a flush with his 4 for example) and tilted, looking for some action I played some twister SNGs where I lost most of them and ended up with 2,50.
      Next day I got back to 8 euros again. Yesterday tho... oh yesterday.

I can't understand why but I felt so extremely insecure starting from preflop play. I couldn't judge with certainty which hands to play and which not to.
      All in all I couldn't find an edge over my oponnents, it felt like I just hoped for the right board just as they did.

One thing I don't get btw is why I should fold AQ under certain circumstances. Seriously it is a very strong hand. I get that a King is dangerous but after all the only thing I am afraid of is AK or maybe KK/QQ (both only if there is no ace on the board tho since their outs are too few to consider them too dangerous)
      Can someone explain this to me?

anyway today I'm down to 6 euros and I'm about to start my session now. A little more focused than yesterday ;)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey SRwtf,

AQ is really only foldable in the early stages of SnGs. Middle stages it becomes a steal and re-steal hand and in the final stages it becomes a clear Nash shove/call.

A scenario where I fold AQ easily:

Early stage of SnG. UTG opens to 3x. You are MP1 with 4 people left to act. This is an easy spot to fold. You have no guarantee of closing the action. You also have no guarantee that someone will squeeze from late position or the blinds.

Position is very important. Not only your position, but your opponents as well. Also the tendencies of players still to act.

Regards

Laz
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      yeah position, it's like the second thing I learned and that halfway went into my bones but I still have to look to make the right decision

you know the first thing I learned was preflop hand selection which is kinda funny 'cause that's where my problem was but now I realize it was probably because I halfway adapted to a friend's approach which is pretty loose (add the natural, fishy, tendency to play more hands than you should et voila) so I had mixed feelings about lots of hands which is probably just an urge for action plus the conflict between the two thought schools of kinda loose vs TAG

Little update: I'm playing 0,1/0,2 right now and I lost two buy-ins, won 4 more up to now

edit: may I ask how you act when you think a raise is the right choice preflop but you want to have 1-2 (certain) players in the hand? Do you just call?
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Hello there and welcome to the blogging section of Pokerstrategy, where all the dark and the bright stuff happen ^_^ lulz tf I just said

So, what motivates you to blog ? or as it was for me, does blogging motivates u to play poker :P ?

gl, following :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      hi there SRwtf,

It sounds to me like you need this guy's vids, just to nail that stuff down:

Open Raising and Calling Ranges

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/33508/

3 - Betting Ranges

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/34081/

I hope they help but if you need anything further just ask. :)

The coach has a whole series like this going on so attend his live coachings (free to join) when you can and get ready to own those games!

Here is the link to the information and coaching thread for you:

[Coaching] From Zero to Hero - Master the Basics and Refine your Game

If you can't attend for some reason, the lessons are put out as videos or podcasts a few days after the event, so you won't miss a thing! :s_cool:

Very best regards,

Mal.