Mac Book Pro Retina

• pokerkingmiko
      pokerkingmiko
      Diamond
      Hi guys,

Is anyone here kind enough to share their experience on using a Macbook Pro Retina 13 or 15" for grinding? I am considering buying one but I don't have any idea how it fares compared to a PC or windows laptop as I haven't used a Macbook before.

In particular, I would like to know:
      1. Do you use Boot camp or run two OS using parallels. the pros and cons
      2. Minimum specs that you think is enough to run the poker client and tracking software smoothly.
      3. Does pokerstars and PT4 run smoothly on OSX? Do you recommend the mac version of these two software?
      4. Any useful tips

:)
  • 11 replies
    • KillBZ
      KillBZ
      Bronze
      I have the 15 inch.

I prefer Parallels above Boot camp because you can use both OSX and windows at the same time, you can also make the windows programs run like OSX programs so that works very good for me.

Both PT4 and Pokerstars run very good on OSX and maybe even better than on windows.

The only minus problem i have is that they don't have zoom support for mac, so you have to use windows if you had like to play zoom.
    • pokerkingmiko
      pokerkingmiko
      Diamond
      Thank you,

How many tables do you play simultaneously?

I just switched to zoom so it seems like I will have no choice but use windows. Also, what specs do you have if you don't mind?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Love the 15 inch but for poker I think you need to buy a monitor. The thunderbolt is expensive but perfect.
    • KillBZ
      KillBZ
      Bronze
      I play max 4 tables at the time, size of the screen is fine. Like Pleno says, if you like to play more tables i recommend you to use a monitor.

I have the standard specs so nothing special.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      just bought a second monitor, imo the best set up possible

http://instagram.com/p/quFk1LuwsT/?modal=true
    • pokerkingmiko
      pokerkingmiko
      Diamond
      I just play 4 tables max too so I'll pass on the extra monitor. thanks guys

btw nice setup pleno!
    • SirTradeAlot
      SirTradeAlot
      Bronze
      Hey Dude,

Im using a Retina MacBook Pro 15" with parallels- and I am very happy with it.

regarding your questions:

1. Parallels has strong advantages:
      1.1 coherence
      you can run parallels in so called coherence mode, i.e. run windows app in MAC window - this way you can continue to work on your MAC without having your display blocked by windows. e.g. I am writing these lines in safari while having an IPoker window open :f_cool:

1.2 security
      you can fully isolate the windows machine from your MAC at runtime, which is very important, in case you get attacked your business stuff is still safe on your MAC. ... poker environments are not as secure as they seem ... :s_wink:

1.3 backup
      backing up a 100gb VM into a zip file takes 20 minutes, restoring from zip file 8 mins :) incredible performance. If something goes wrong, you're back and running in no time.

2. specs.
      I have allocated 12 gb for the poker vm, and 2 cpus - reason: the postgres database becomes extremely resource intensive after a while. It is better to give him an extra cpu and 8 gb RAM, this way you have no delays multi tabling on the vm.

3. PT4/Pokerstars performance
      PT4 for MAC works fine. I do however run everything in windows vm. From the lines above, I think it is clear why.

4. useful tips
      - You will want to take 15 inch with the strongest graphic chip.This way you are able to exploit the full resolution. i.e. 2880x1800 + 3840x2400 on external display.
      - assign separate MAC address to vm and run on separate IP (shared mode gives delays sometimes)

Good Luck!
    • pokerkingmiko
      pokerkingmiko
      Diamond
      Originally posted by SirTradeAlot
      Hey Dude,

Im using a Retina MacBook Pro 15" with parallels- and I am very happy with it.

regarding your questions:

1. Parallels has strong advantages:
      1.1 coherence
      you can run parallels in so called coherence mode, i.e. run windows app in MAC window - this way you can continue to work on your MAC without having your display blocked by windows. e.g. I am writing these lines in safari while having an IPoker window open :f_cool:

1.2 security
      you can fully isolate the windows machine from your MAC at runtime, which is very important, in case you get attacked your business stuff is still safe on your MAC. ... poker environments are not as secure as they seem ... :s_wink:

1.3 backup
      backing up a 100gb VM into a zip file takes 20 minutes, restoring from zip file 8 mins :) incredible performance. If something goes wrong, you're back and running in no time.

2. specs.
      I have allocated 12 gb for the poker vm, and 2 cpus - reason: the postgres database becomes extremely resource intensive after a while. It is better to give him an extra cpu and 8 gb RAM, this way you have no delays multi tabling on the vm.

3. PT4/Pokerstars performance
      PT4 for MAC works fine. I do however run everything in windows vm. From the lines above, I think it is clear why.

4. useful tips
      - You will want to take 15 inch with the strongest graphic chip.This way you are able to exploit the full resolution. i.e. 2880x1800 + 3840x2400 on external display.
      - assign separate MAC address to vm and run on separate IP (shared mode gives delays sometimes)

Good Luck!
      thanks a lot! :s_thumbsup:
    • xJCzZ
      xJCzZ
      Bronze
      Wow great info there; I have just bought a MBP retina and am a first time mac user so this has certainly helped me out, thanks for your response.

happy grinding!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Awesome information. :s_biggrin: Thanks so much SirTradeAlot :)
    • SirTradeAlot
      SirTradeAlot
      Bronze
      You're very welcome! Have fun and good luck at the tables!