A Newbie on the Loose

• jmchezka
      jmchezka
      Basic
      hello pokerstrategy! my name is jm :)

i am not really a good poker player, i just play for fun and still considers myself as a newbie. i play online poker at <edited> but haven't really experienced playing live poker. although i do want to try that (sounds like fun and exciting!)

i play texas hold'em NL but i want to learn omaha (what's better between the two?)

anything you still want to know about me, feel free to ask ;)
  • 4 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey there and welcome to the PokerStrategy.com forums!

Nobody started as a good player, luckily you are in the right place to learn poker!
      I would start right from our Strategy articles, where you can learn from the most basic things - the poker rules, to some really complex strategies that help professional players improve their game even further!

When it comes to Holdem vs Omaha, there is no clear choice - Holdem is certainly more mainstream and you will be finding games more easily. It's also in my opinion easier to learn at first (as you have only 2 hole cards as opposed to 4). On the other hand Omaha can be very fun and not everyone knows even the rules on the micro stakes (for example Holdem players just giving it a shot). We also have an Omaha section if you are curious about the game.

My advice would be to choose from what you think is more interesting and go with it. Motivation is an important tool when learning and playing poker and it's best when it comes naturally. :f_grin:

Let us know if you have any further questions as we are here to help!

Best regards,
      Kamen
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmchezka
      i play texas hold'em NL but i want to learn omaha (what's better between the two?)
      Hi jm and welcome to the forums! :f_grin:

Omaha is a very complex game and it can be a little intimidating to learn at first. It is much more dependent on postflop play than Hold 'em, and there is a greater focus on draws rather than made hands. The variance is also a lot higher compared to Hold 'em. To give an example, AAKK, which is one of the strongest starting hands in Omaha, has "only" 65.5% equity against a random hand, while AA would have an equity of around 85% in Hold 'em.
      The plus side is that Omaha is a relatively new format, so you'll find a lot of weak players over there.

I'd recommend focusing on Hold 'em if you're starting out, but don't be afraid to give Omaha a try when you feel like you're ready. Many poker rooms offer freerolls for this format, which should be a good way to get your feet wet.

This article discusses the pros and cons of playing Pot Limit Omaha in greater detail.
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      Hi jm, good luck on the tables =)
    • jmchezka
      jmchezka
      Basic
      Hi Kamen, Harrier88, and PaTaPaTaPoNn. Thank you for the warm welcome :)