Making a difference: poker 6max NL10 zoom + real life blog

• Wolfske

I'm a belgian in his mid-twenties. Since I was a young child I always was very ambitious. Now in my mid-twenties I'm still the same person. I have a master degree in educational studies and I'm employed. I'm also single and don't go out a lot. I do have a good social network though, but I should take care of it more.

Since a couple of years I'm interested in productivity but I had some setbacks and suddenly all I was doing for the past months was going to work, play CS: GO , play PES 2013 and go to the gym occasionally.

Even though I didn't do well for the past months I'm pretty close to a promotion. I realised again that I am this really ambitious guy and that I was wasting my life. If I wouldn't change the way I was behaving I would become miserable.

A lot of the stuff that is coming now is inspired by Schnitzelfisch and books I read

Analysing what went wrong

In my previous attemps I think I made a crucial mistake. I used this technique where I pictured myself at my own funeral so I could see who I wanted to be .. what I actually did was picturing someone that my friends would want me to be. I missed some crucial points and overestimated other ones. The biggest problem is probably that I never updated my vission statement.

My new vision statement

I want to be a kind person. Not the extravert I described in my first vision statement, but just being myself and improving the person that I am (read: not becoming another person).

Making a difference
      My biggest concern is that I make a difference. This could mean a lot of things. I'm still not sure what it means. I want to make a difference at my job, but I also want to make a difference in the world (or in somebody's world). I really want to mean something for poor people or a poor person, maybe even make a structural change ... I'm not sure yet. It's not a problem that I'm not sure, time will tell what it is.

In the future I see myself as a wealthy man that has enough money to spend. This means that I see myself spend money on people that really need it.

How others see my better self

I'm a friendly guy. Moderatly shy at first but really social when you get to know me. I do my friends a lot of favor and I'm a correct person. I'm a good listenner and show empathy.

Next to this I'm adventurous in my own way. I travel and go to places, not to party and get drunk, but to see stuff of the world and culture.

I also make time for my family and have a nice girlfriend.

Material stuff
      I want to buy myself a house, buy a very very nice car (atm I have a Hyunday Coupé Tuscani, wich is fairly nice but far from a dream car). I want to have a lot of money, enough to live without worries and enough to spend it on other people.

Longterm Goals

Making $30k a year playing poker
      Making +- $30k a year working and having an important role
      Being a coach (maybe even making extra money on this)

Going out weekly and enjoy it
      Investing in the world --> making financial deposits for charity

Cooper-test 3km
      Deadlift: 160kg
      Squat: 130kg
      Bench: 100 kg

Shortterm goals

I will update this regularly. Atm i want to create new habits:

• Waking up: 7:00
      • Jogging: 1x week 10 minutes
      • 2 x gym (wendler schedule)
      • Making a promotion
      • Plan social activities weekly

I still have a long list. I use different lists :
      Tasklist, next steps, reference and dreamlist

Once I feel I internalised some of the habits I will start focussing on other habits or increasing time on some of the activities.

Future habits
      Reading more educational books
      Take a class
      Spending more time at poker study

Let's dooo thiis !
  • 11 replies
    • Wolfske
      On poker

Atm I'm playing 180mans SNG $3R, $8s and $15s. I'm pretty sure I beat all of them. I'm also sure I can improve a lot on them.

I also play mtt's between $0-20

Sidegames: 45 man $7 , 90 man $5 PGKO

High stakes MTT
      Maybe making a transition to cashgames

At the moment I'm playing staked so I can't transition yet. I will definetly try out cashgames though, I'm just to curious and I'm convinced there's a lot to be learned even if I would quit it because I don't like it.
    • Lazza61
      Hey Wolfske,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

Awesome first post with a lot of detail. People often underestimate the effect of things like goal setting.

I play 45 manners myself and hope to get to the $7 one day. Stuck at the $1.50s and in a motivational slump. Maybe following your blog will inspire me. :tongue:

Happy Fishing

• IvicaIliev77
      Great start of the blog!
      I sincerely hope you will get where you plan to and make the difference. Can relate to some of your goals as I feel the same way :)

Look forward to future updates
    • Wolfske
      Thanks for the support guys.

Everything is going good (not great but we'll get there). Huge breakthrough yesterday though... I ended the staking. Bought myself out of it. Now I will transition tu HU or 6max.

I will do some investigations about wich game variant I'm going to play and then I'll start it. I just didn't feel productive playing 180s and MTT knowing I would transition and have problems studying. I feel really relieved and really motivated.

I also ordered some books:
      - never eat alone
      - the art of war (classic)
      - the 4 hour work week: escape 9-5

Really really thrilled !
    • Wolfske

Started at 6max 10NL zoom , having a heather already :D wich is nice. First 300 hands I'm at 150bb/100 adjusted and 180bb/100 non-adjusted.

I'm posting a lot of hands in my dutch blog and I'm getting help so that's really nice. I'm trying to make a new pokernetwork with decent CG players.

About my weekly goals:

1h pokerstudy: crushed it --> 5-6h
      2x gym: failed (1/2)
      1x Jog: succes
      waking up 07:00 getting there (5/7, don't mind waking up a little later in weekends)
      Making a promotion: Work in progress, have a good portfolio and resume
      social activities: Succes

I'm pretty happy with this. I invested a lot of time in finding new books + working for my promotion. I slept really bad during the week so most of the times I only slept around 5-6 hours. That's one of the reasons why the gym failed.

Also a major breakthough in stopping the staking and starting with something else.

Next week I'll definetly finish my sollicitation for the promotion and I'll get to the gym 2x.

Next weak habits:

Stand up @ 7 (will be harder because I don't need to work at 8)
      2x Gym
      1x Jog
      3h of poker study
      Play 1000 hands
    • Wolfske
      A little late but here is another Update:

Stand up @ 7 or 8 --> nailed it
      2x Gym --> nailed it
      1x Jog --> Failed it, but no worries, this weeks jog is already done so I'll do 2 times this week
      3h of poker study --> crushed it .. pbb around 10h
      Play 1000 hands --> crushed it, I'm playing 1k hands a day now

Also started reading 15 min a day

Had some mental problems due to a (I think) downswing. Here's my pokergraph

hi Wolfske,

Glad to see one more zooomer around :)

Will follow your blog for sure,

Also, like your goals and how you organized them.

Best of luck,
    • NutzAreOk
      Hi Wolfske! :)

Originally posted by Wolfske
      Are you familiar with Jared Tendler's The Mental Game of Poker?
    • Wolfske
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      Hi Wolfske! :)

Originally posted by Wolfske
      Are you familiar with Jared Tendler's The Mental Game of Poker?
      Hi ,

Yeah I know the book. I have the audiobook actually :P It's nice. I know all this stuff, I just get insecure ..

Thanks man !

Update NL10 graph :D
    • Wolfske
      Hit a terrible downswing this week. But in my last session it improved.

I also started a challenge:
      - Play 20k hands a week
      - do 7h study a week

Because of the downswing I cut back on table, played 20h but didn't get my goal .. still got around 14K hands though wich is a big difference .. my previous goal was like 1k hands a week :P

Other goals

Stand up @ 7 or 8 --> nailed it, I had to because of work
      2x Gym --> didn't go to gym for 2 weeks :( Went to pukkelpop last week and this week was budy poker .. i should pick this up again
      1x Jog --> last week went to pukkelpop with bike, this week didn't jog :(
      Didn't read last 2 weeks ..

I guess I need to improve some stuff next week

--> gym, jog, read and keep up with the poker :) (+ eat healthy again and track my macro's)
      Nice goals, keep us updated :)