Polarize or Linear?

• cardman021
      cardman021
      Basic
      Hey Guys,

Just want to ask what is a better approach when I'm let's say sitting at the blinds, a TAG with high fold to 3bet stats(around 70+) opens from CO/BU. Should I use a linear or polarized 3-betting range? As of now I do use linear, since I think though they fold a lot, they might still call sometimes being IP.

Thanks,
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      What limits?
      What works on NL50 would be a waste of effort on NL2 and pretty much vice-versa

Also, if you do choose polarized, you want hands that play well vs open raiser's range.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • cardman021
      cardman021
      Basic
      NL2-5-10
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cardman021
      high fold to 3bet stats(around 70+)
      hands that you wanna 3bet/5bet and anything with blockers or remotely playable
    • Suboptimal88
      Suboptimal88
      Bronze
      Depends on limit , in low limits sometimes you may just 3-bet your value range and get paid all the time , readless i tend to 3-bet a polarize range.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Suboptimal88
      Depends on limit , in low limits sometimes you may just 3-bet your value range and get paid all the time , readless i tend to 3-bet a polarize range.
      How polarized are we talking here?
      There is the standard "3Bet with the top of your folding range"
      Then there are those who 3Bet A2s-A5s as well as A? - AK where the ? could be T-Q depending on how lose the individual is.

Also, how wide is your 3Bet range? You can defend your blinds by calling as well.

When you 3Bet one of the low end of your polarized range, I assume that this is your 3Bet/Fold range?

If you 3Bet something oddball like Q8s, it never hurts to have others see you play that.
      Don't stack off with it or anything (unless you hit something crushing ofc), but if you can get to showdown cheap, you can almost here everyone at the table typing "What a dork -- 3Bets Q8s"

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cardman021
      a TAG with high fold to 3bet stats(around 70+) opens from CO/BU
      Autoprofit.
      Against someone who folds 70%+ you can 3bet 100% of hands profitably (even assuming you fold 100% of hands on 100% flops, even if you flop nuts).
      For example let's say BU raises 2.5 blinds and you would 3b 9 blinds from SB:
      Investment/PotentialEarnings
      8.5 / (8.5+2.5+1.5) = .68

8.5 = Your 3bet minus SB
      2.5 = Xyr open raise
      1.5 = Blinds

That .68 tells you that if xe folds 68% or more you autoprofit from simply 3betting.

Now, starting from here, you have to consider who is after you (if you are SB).
      Say TAG in CO/BU raises, you are in SB and in BB you have:
      • Calling Station = you want to have very value heavy 3b range and very little bluff.
      • TAG = 3b atc (any two cards)
      • Nit = 3b atc
      • LAG(none to be seen in NL2 to 25) = Check if xe generally likes to call preflop or not. Plan accordingly but stay on the wide side with your range.
      • Maniac = Well here it really depends on what type of maniac. But you catch my drift.

If CO raises and BU calls. That's a whole different situation. But I assume you weren't asking about that.

Once you start autoprofiting, pay attention to what xe plays back with and how frequently. If you notice xe adapted, for example by 4betting like a madman or calling every time, switch to your value only 3b range and enjoy the $$$.
    • Suboptimal88
      Suboptimal88
      Bronze
      How polarized are we talking here?
      There is the standard "3Bet with the top of your folding range"
      Then there are those who 3Bet A2s-A5s as well as A? - AK where the ? could be T-Q depending on how lose the individual is.

Also, how wide is your 3Bet range? You can defend your blinds by calling as well.

When you 3Bet one of the low end of your polarized range, I assume that this is your 3Bet/Fold range?

If you 3Bet something oddball like Q8s, it never hurts to have others see you play that.
      Don't stack off with it or anything (unless you hit something crushing ofc), but if you can get to showdown cheap, you can almost here everyone at the table typing "What a dork -- 3Bets Q8s"

Best of luck,
      --VS

against a stealer my default was AQ-TT maybe AJ or kQ sometimes and 67s-89s , 22-77 , i personally dont raise Axs , i think those are good squeezing or 4-betting hands or 3-bet against earlier raisers , well i guess its just personal preference.

This was my default and i think it is fairly standar resteal range but i now refine even more my game so it may change a bit.