Bad beat, of is it?

• Endarton
      Endarton
      Bronze
      Hi all

i got a question because one thing is really making me mad. I'm doing 25 NL 6-max tables, usually 2 at the time (no more). And i'm doing fine, steady win over many hands but there's a one bad beat i lost all money i've won in short period on time.

Like i flopped strit, villain flopped a set, then i improved on river to nut flush, villain improved to full house.

Tell me, how you do deal with it or what to do to avoid those nasty situations ( it's a problem for me, i'm losing money i worked so hard to get and sometimes is really think pokerstars is doing that on purpous to get rake from us).
  • 11 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Endarton,

This is fairly standard. It is often said that the quality of a poker player is not defined by the hands he plays, he is defined by the hands he folds.

This was one of the greatest laydowns I have ever seen.

Mike Matusow's reaction is priceless. Mikey knows he wouldn't be able to lay it down.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Endarton
      Hi all

i got a question because one thing is really making me mad. I'm doing 25 NL 6-max tables, usually 2 at the time (no more). And i'm doing fine, steady win over many hands but there's a one bad beat i lost all money i've won in short period on time.

Like i flopped strit, villain flopped a set, then i improved on river to nut flush, villain improved to full house.

Tell me, how you do deal with it or what to do to avoid those nasty situations ( it's a problem for me, i'm losing money i worked so hard to get and sometimes is really think pokerstars is doing that on purpous to get rake from us).
      There are several things that you can do in this situation.
      I have tried the ones marked **
        sigh deeply, and play the next hand **
        sit out **
        chat: nice hand sir **
        swear **
        throw your mouse/monitor/laptop across the room
        ask yourself: Would I play this same hand the same way again? **

You cannot avoid "those nasty situations".
      My favourite recent effort was holding JJ on a J84 flop. Villain raised, I re-raised, villain shoved, I called. Villain shows J4. Turn is a brick. River is a 4.
      For this one, I chose "sigh deeply, and play the next hand "

If such things are tilting you, it is necessary to adjust your mental game.
      I used "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler.

It helped.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      My favourite recent effort was holding JJ on a J84 flop. Villain raised, I re-raised, villain shoved, I called. Villain shows J4. Turn is a brick. River is a 4.
      Villain rivers lower boat, sick beat. :coolface:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by metza
      No, he had the boat, and I had memory failure once again.
      <sigh>
      I must have had AJ or KJ or something.

I need a RAM upgrade...
      --VS
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      lol i can definitely remember sometimes "ship set against 2p, pairing river ASDADS ohwait i am still ahead" and "ship straight vs 2p, pairing river LKSDJD wait it didn't actually pair his 2p"
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      lol i can definitely remember sometimes "ship set against 2p, pairing river ASDADS ohwait i am still ahead" and "ship straight vs 2p, pairing river LKSDJD wait it didn't actually pair his 2p"
      A while ago I got up to leave from a live MTT after rivering a better gutshot (got it in w top pair) against villain who rivered a wheel w Ax. Villain thought he'd won too, till someone asked me where I was going. :f_biggrin:

Or at least, villain pretended like he thought he'd won :pokerface:
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      Hi you're sets are good only if its no opposition.For example set off 10 on a board sitting with three diamonds depending on youre position is not an ALL IN ,depends on position also if you are called youre whole pot ,its for me a fold,Iff you see something to a straight depends if you cn outdraw him,Position is important on this,.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      Originally posted by Endarton

Tell me, how you do deal with it or what to do to avoid those nasty situations.
      this is not a nasty situation nor one you want to avoid.

you had the best hand and were a favourite. you deal with it by getting as much money in as you can (whilst you're still ahead) rinsing and repeating then cashing out your winnings, and then the most important part... rubbing it on your titties.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I think its important to know the exact hand history and how it played.

If it went bet-raise-reraise-all in on the river 200bb deep then actually it should have been a super easy fold of the nut flush on a paired board.

Even a river 3bet, is most often the stone cold nuts at micros and a flush on paired board facing such action is usually a fold.
    • NikolaNP
      NikolaNP
      Bronze
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V7aA0RHK-Q
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      i look at it this way.take you're pot. then evaluate whether you want to loose all youre money ,That has taken you 2 hours to build.
      I had KK the other day flop came 5 3 8 so a raised was called by both players turn came 9 i raised pot, Was called again by both players river J I CHECK BOTH PLAYERS TO THE LEFT CHECK,,ONE PLAYER HAD SET 333 AND I HAD PUT A 5 BET IN ON MY KK,THE OTHER PLAYER HAD 10 J,HAD ONE OFF THEM CALLED ALL IN I WOULD HAVE FOLDED ,