Question about the jackpots sng's

• RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there is a time limit in which to complete the 5 in a row? I couldnt find anything on the Titan website so I presume not. Today I am on 4/4 (actually 5/6) on the $5+1 Maui sng's, I'm playing well but I dont want to just rush straight into the 5th one as I'm actually quite nervous lol......The progressive jackpot is now at $39.5k!! I want to find a really soft table before sitting down which could take a while as it seems a few sharks have come onto them now. If there's no time limit I'm gonna wait till there's a table of complete fish :) Anyone know anything on this?
  • 13 replies
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      From this page:

The five consecutive "Maui - Jackpot Sit 'N' Go" tournaments must be played within a 14-day period.
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      ah thanks very much Kennyxx, I figured there would be a time period but couldnt find it anywhere. 14 days is fine, tho I dont know whether to just shoot straight at it as soon as I find a softish table while I'm hot, or or wait a few days for my nerves to calm lol
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Dude that's pretty sick.... 4/4 and 5/6...

My advice, don't overthink it... strike while the iron is hot and if it's meant to be it's meant to be... of course you're nervous but play your normal game and hope, just hope that the poker gods are smiling at you when it comes down to it, cos at the end of the day you need the luck...

Oh, and if you take my advice and win my fee is 10% :D

Good luck
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      How far have you made it?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Totally agree with Nick.

During my old VC days, I used to play these regularly and once managed to win 4 Mauri in a row (need 5). What happened? Well of course, I was so conscious of staying in to get 1st again ended up playing far too tight and went out 5th/6th.

My advice is that these are possible (dispite the low starting stack), but please please please just keep playing each as a single tournament and forget how many you get.
      At the end of each week, check your tournament history to see if you actually managed 5 in a row or not.

To beat 8/9 opponents is one thing, to beat the matter between your own ears is quite a different ball game.

Good luck.

Bart.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Well i know i should write this BUT man is a lot of cash in game so why you don't join some poker channel for few players to help you out ;) Just a thought and good luck,

slikec
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      that's a pretty bad piece of advice...
      That would be collusion and will definitely result in ban and bankroll freeze
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      well ive finally played it and guess what, i lost.
      Ive seriously got the feeling that the site is rigged now. I finished 7th, everyone was playing fairly tight (well) i had average stack of 1400 with blinds starting to get heavy. 7 left, AQ utg with BB only 395 chips, so i min raise to put him all in, he calls with 56 and wins. I am then left with just over 1000 on my BB, i have shit and lose my blinds till next utg on which i have 99 and push my remainig 700. Guy in mid has slightly more puts his all in (about 900) with A5o.....flop JJ6 turn Q river Q.......That is such a joke, that was probably the biggest game of my life and ive had sick luck. If I win against the short stacks 56 i am fairly healthy with 1800, if I win with 99 I am also ok with another player nearly out. But no it has to screw me!!! I got a real feeling that this wasnt just variance, the site knows. I really dont know how I could have won this game, I think it was impossible.

Playtech is a fucking joke, oh and btw the online support still wont reply to me.
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      I know that I will lose those hands over time. I will lose with 99 v A5 25% of the time and I will lose AQ to 56 40% of the time (roughly). There is a 10% chance I will lose both. These are the only hands I went to showdwn with, and unbelievably I lost. So you tell me does this look suspect? When so much is at stake...I lose a 9:1......oh such a coincidence

I will now be withdrawing my money and leaving Titan and (I'm sorry to say) poker strategy. I cannot believe how often I get screwed over on it, and when the stakes are high even more so....read my post; big pots, best hand, keep losing. The online support NEVER respond to me anymore, only their fucking cash table popups and cash table/ECOOP automated support. The software is shit, and tournament structure is awful (reg moved from one BB to another). I am going to take a break from online poker (to clear my head from this horrendous experience) and move back to another site in the future, probably full tilt. Bye bye, gd luck and dont play on Titan. Titan is fucking awful and IS rigged.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Titan, and ipoker in general are not rigged, fraudulent or any of the other things you have suggested. What you experienced is standard variance.

Jackpot SnG's by their nature are more difficult than standard SnG's for various reasons, not least:

> You start with a smaller starting stack, typically 1,000 as opposed to 1,500, forcing a more aggressive stance.
      > You tend to pay 20% rake as opposed to 10% on a standard SnG ($5 upwards, all are 20% below $5).
      > Due to the very nature of these games, people see the $$$ end goal and play (however unintentionally) different from their usual game.
      > Due to the jackpot nature, you get gamblers with little sense that try to double up quickly.

During my previously stated VC attempts at these (Maui) Jackpots & a couple of ad hoc attempts recently on Titan, I've always (over time) recorded a small loss.
      However over the same time periods I achieved a significant profit competing in the equivalent standard Sng at the same level ($5).

So my advice would be to stop swearing, stop feeling sorry for yourself and try to achieve lower goals first.

For me, the standard $5+0.50 SnG's beat the Jackpot $5+1.00 SnG's everytime.

Sorry if you think this was harshly worded, but get so fed up with workmen blaming their tools and it is sincerely meant only as a suggestion to help, take it or leave it.

Hope this helps someone.

Bart.

EDIT: By the way, the 'average' chance of winning 1x SNG is 10% (1 of 10 players), the average chance of winning 5x consecutive is 0.001%.
      Of course, hopefully you will be playing above average, but still a hefty mountain to climb and luck/variance/sukouts will always figure somewhere along the way.
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      I appreciate your post Bart and know what your saying but believe me it is seriously suspicious. I have made a nice profit on Titan from playing "above average" poker over the last 2 months and have done on almost every site I have played on over the last 5 years. I know it is extremely difficult to win 5 in a row,not that ive tried much before now.

I do feel sorry for myself, wouldnt you? Ive been bad beat twice in a game that had so much at stake. Rounders is true in that you always hear about the ones that made it but not the ones that failed, well hear me. So many times I have been so close to a "big" win in my poker (loosely) career only to have some outrageous bad luck at the final hurdle. The type of win that would enable me to not work for 2 or 3 years and concentrate on playing poker. Before anyone replies about BRM to this (quoting from an article) I havent just been playing high stakes games looking for 1 big win, I have played satellites, freerolls etc building from low buy-in. I dont know if anyone remembers party pokers monster tournament 2 years sgo, I lost out big time in that tournament as well.

Ok, so my statement about ipoker being rigged is not fact....but prove to me it isnt. Noone keeps a thorough check on these things to provide clear proof. The outcry of cheating from an inhouse player of Absolute poker a couple of years ago proved it is definitely possible to cheat at online poker and for games to be "fixed". What it also done is make any form of this almost taboo within the internet poker industry because nobody would go near Absolute poker afterwards (for good reason). So who's to say this doesnt go on.....but is just not talked about for fear of bad publicity. Using my game as an example, say I got 8 friends to sit round the table with me to ensure I won the game. Rather than the company issuing potential cheating going on on their site (fear of bad publicity) it would be much easier and cheaper for them to ensure I lost the game. It would be perfectly possible for the one remaining player to win every showdown he is involved in, and very difficult to be proved fixed. I am not gonna say any more about online poker cheating I have given you an alternative approach to not blindly follow what others tell you. Believe what you will, but not everything is black and white (dont mean to patronise)

The only tools I use are my poker skills (yes I know your referring to the site), I have looked back over the hands that I played and the only hands I would have won are the other two I played AA and AQ. If my opponents had stayed in the hand I probably would have lost them as well. It is perfectly possible for me to lose 50 hands on the trot against 10 players, it is strangely suspicious that this basically happened in such an important game. I believe I did nothing wrong in this game, there was simply no possible way I could have won it.

Anyway, there is not a lot can be done about it now, I have to move on. Starting by moving my money away from Titan. I apologise for swearing. Everything (other than rigged) I said about Titan is true (and fact), agree with me or not, it is an awful poker site.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Just reading this shows that it pains u lots. Why wouldn't it. U said it urself, a few years off, possibly get into poker all together, live a life of comfort and who knows what else... looks nice doesn't it. You had a lot riding on that SnG at least in your head u did. I wonder how much attention u would give this if it was just another of your attempts to get one of the first 5 of the row. It sucks and everything u wrote here could be true, why not. But think about it from another angle, not just your own:
      What is the biggest and best comercial these pokerrooms get? People shouting their heads off at how much they won here or there or how much money they cashed out from poker. Examples we see either on TV or from ppl we know. That's why we are all here right? We heard money could be won, liked the idea of it and saw ourselves being able to do the same. So why not give it a toss. The prize is great, hence the lure is strong and the whole concept seems to be working too! Imagine u get the offer for a game from a company u would never have heard of in your email inbox saying u could win a load of money by playing another card game ... how would u feel about that? U hear about people wining lots, maybe see it on TV or even at a friends house while he is playing. U realize there's not reason why you couldn't do it! Well guess what... not everyone makes it fast, soon or even ever. So why take away from themselves the best of promotions they can get?

I don't really know how long have u been playing poker but I myself am in my 3rd year now and this is only the 2nd time of my "career" that I have won "serious" amounts of money in the span of a month or 2. The first time I blew most of it due to inexperience, the 2nd time (now) I'm looking for ways to preserve it and maybe even give myself a shot at getting more with it or just improve my chances to get more money. What u had is a poker experience. Hard on you from your perspective but I'm sure there are many many stories out there like yours or similar. It's up to you wether u want to learn from this, draw what u can from it and give it another toss or just leave it all behind. If you managed to get 4 in a row once why not again? And again? And win the 5th SnG on one of those occasions?

The hardest thing is to start over. To go back to the beggining and try again. To put urself in that starting point u felt u have left behind long (or maybe it just seems long/far) ago/away and start from that miserable point again. Trust me I know because in a way I had to do it myself and it was with poker and maybe some other things in life. This is where strenght of a poker player shows. The good ones always look at it, figure out if they did anything wrong or what they should do better next time and try to move on. If u have what it takes to become a good poker player u will do the same.
      I wish u all the best and I hope u don't take what I wrote here in a bad way. GL to you whatever u decide to do :)
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      Ye everything you say is true. To start over is the hardest part in anything. Who was it who said every journey begins with a single step? (something tzu i think, liu tzu?) anyway that first step is a long way away at the moment now. All I want to do is beat myself up, kick walls and headbutt stuff but I have refrained myself (except one insta kick of my living room wall, was like a natural reaction lol). I am in serious pain (not my foot), and have let my frustrations out on this forum (pen is mightier than the sword eh......change that quote to keyboard for the 21st century I think). I cannot start over now, I have to sort my head out and I cant play on Titan anymore because it frustrates me too much. Its hard not to blame the tools when they disconnect at vital points or move you from one BB to another, its not your fault and should not happen. So I need a fresh start, new site, new bankroll, new goals and new motivation. 3/5 I will need a break for and before this I will play nowhere near my best game.

The problem with me looking back over where I went wrong is that I do not believe I did anything wrong, I just lost. I cannot gain anything from that, I got my chips in ahead twice, if this happens in a short stacked sng you just cannot win, its impossible.

This is another moment in poker for me where I have come so close and yet so far. I have had big wins (for me anyway) like several £1k+ tourney wins in the past, my first ever game online I won a 3000 player $1 tourney. But this doesnt change your life, and on 4/5 occasions I have been very very close to that. I have confidence in myself that one day i will be able to make a good living out of poker but this day is getting further and further away. I have other life issues I have to concentrate on now and thus a break from poker is probably good for me anyway.

Thank you for that post, it has helped me calm down quite a bit

P.S. What you say about advertising loud mouth winners is the other side a company can take. If someone has cheated, rather than take bad publicity and legal/investigating costs they can just make a big song and dance about it to advertise. Looks far better for the company and industry as a whole.