Getting in to SnG's

• evolv87
      evolv87
      Bronze
      Hey all, I've just gotten back into poker and leaving it for a few years. After returning I played about 50 tournaments or so (and lost in most of 'em) then I remembered this website. Since then I have re-read through a lot of the material and videos and my play has improved dramatically. I'm now focusing on STT SnG's and plan to move of the limits with good bankroll management. Here's my graph since returning:

My SnG stats so far:

Switched to SnG's at around 50 tournaments played. Small sample so far but I feel like I keep getting better every session. Big thanks for all the material and a special shout out to Collin Moshman for his videos, they are unbelievably helpful. I'm super psyched to keep moving up the limits.
  • 22 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey evolv87,

Awesome. :) Collin is one of my heroes. :f_love: I actually had the pleasure of playing against him in NVKS' Non Smoking is +Ev tourney.

He had an unfair advantage because he was only playing 40 tables. :f_eek:

Keep up the improvement,

Laz
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      I will be following this one!
      Nice results so far, on a small sample but still good indicator that you are moving in the right direction.

Are you back to 6 or 9 max? Turbo or regular speeds?

GL and all the best!
    • evolv87
      evolv87
      Bronze
      Hey guys, thanks for the kind words! I'm playing 9 man turbos for now as they seem to suit my style of play the best. I increased my bankroll enough to get into the $1.50 games now and so far so good at that limit.

Can't believe how clear my head is when playing this time around. The strategies and gameplay just seem to make more sense now, who knows why :D I'll post another graph soon if I hit a milestone or something.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hey evolv,

Thanks for making the thread, this could easily become one interesting journey.

I'll be following.

Best of luck,
      Fran
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      any updates? :)
    • evolv87
      evolv87
      Bronze
      Well the $1.50 9man SnGs on PS turned out to be significantly harder than the $0.50 games :evil:

I got through the $0.50 games after around 400 tournaments. So far I've played about 1500 at $1.50 in a mix of turbo and turbo KOs. I was BE to start $1.50 for a long time and just wasn't doing enough studying and review of my play :f_mad: . I've added a lot more time for review and I have really improved my push fold play. I definitely have many leaks to patch up but I was making some serious ICM mistakes in the push/fold stage that I have now resolved. My results are starting to improve and I'm gotten much better at multi-tabling. Here's my PT graph since I got into SnGs on PokerStars:

I've been trying to find other players at the same limit to help each other out but that has been unsuccessful so far. I managed to make gold status so I've been reading and re-reading the new articles. I have to say that Collin Moshman's :s_evil: videos are phenomenal and have been extremely helpful in improving my game. I've watched several of them multiple times. Here's hoping that I can move up to the $3.50 games in September :D
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Very nice progress, keep us updated! glgl!
    • darchvile40
      darchvile40
      Bronze
      Hey evolv..

I like your thread and find it interesting as im kinda in the same boat. I also play 9man sit and go,s and have been playing for last 8 months or so on and off. I play on titan and pokerstars but have stopped on PS because i was breaking even for ages and found them hard to beat. Titan on the other hand i have almost tripled my 20euro deposit playing just 9man 1dollar sit and go,s.
      I usually play 2 or 3 tables only i find any more is too much how in gods name are ppl playing 12 and so on lol............. im beat after playing 3 games espically after getting heads up in 2 or more :)
      I also like colin moshman and am going to get his book cant remember which one but looked good, and will be upgrading to silver status soon too.
      Any tips on beating the PS games since u seem to be cracking them. i will continue on titan but the thing that bothers me is the traffic, its not great, hardly anybody playing above 1 dollar sit and go,s which is bad for me cause i wanna move up X(
    • Minnow2Hook
      Minnow2Hook
      Bronze
      triple 8 poker is another good site. The 1.50/sng/6H & 2.80/sng/6H & 3.00/sng/9H are great training tables. Don't need a huge BR' if your skills are at that Level. I'm about become a Gold member in a week.
    • evolv87
      evolv87
      Bronze
      Thanks Fran, I will try to remember to ;)

@darchvile
      I'm probably not the best person to give advice at this time in my poker career but here are a few things that have helped me show a bit of profit at $1.50:
      - Review your play around the bubble (3-6 players). You can start by looking at the hands where you were eliminated and check the push/fold or call ranges on HoldemResourcesCalculator or ICMizer. Lots of players at this limit are making ICM mistakes and are usually calling too wide or pushing way too tight at this limit. You can exploit these players and benefit from their mistakes as often they will eliminate each other and you can sneak into the money. Fixing leaks at this stage will show a significant increase in your ROI.
      - Try to understand the stack dynamics around the bubble. With a big stack you can put a lot of pressure on the middle stacks and accumulate extra chips so you have a big lead when the bubble bursts. If you are the short stack, see if there are weak players that are calling too loosely around the bubble. They will make ICM mistakes (especially in KO SnGs) and you can either get your chips in with +EV or you can be patient and see if there is a confrontation amongst the big/middle stacks. Always be aware of the stack dynamic and adjust your play accordingly! Many players at this limit adjust there play to the number of players remaining and do not factor the chip stacks.
      - When you get to silver status, there is a great video on multi-tabling from Collin that I have adopted in to my playing style.

When you get more comfortable with the push/fold stage you will be able to make a lot more systematic plays so you shouldn't feel as mentally fatigued afterwards :D
    • Minnow2Hook
      Minnow2Hook
      Bronze
      Blake Eastman told me to try another poker site. I'm doing triple 8 now. I was playing the 1.00/sng/6H & 1.20/sng/6H. I am beating them now. I am now playing the 1.50/sng/6H & 2.80/sng/6H and finishing 2nd or 1st. Collin M has helped and watching a lot of vids. Learning what fold equity is & how it works is cool. K I'm done blabbering.

Fish need bait, Like minnows
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hey man, Welcome back to the game!

As a fellow SnG Player, I'll be checking out your blog and your progress. Good luck!
    • evolv87
      evolv87
      Bronze
      Thanks Ramble!

@Minnow I would agree with you that the games on PokerStars are tough and if you are looking for a better profit it might be wise to switch sites. I would never argue this fact because most poker players are looking to get the best returns back on their money and time spent. However the toughness of the games is what has really motivated me to work on my own ability as a poker player. Although my ROI is certainly nothing to brag about, I had to work really hard for every bit of it and I think that the amount of studying and self analysis I've already done will help me when I reach future limits :pokerface:
    • evolv87
      evolv87
      Bronze
      No big news to report as of late, almost built the BR up to take a shot at the $3.50s

Figure I would share this though as it was my first time:

Hello evolv87,

Congratulations on your performance in last week's Sit & Go Leader Boards. A cash prize of USD 10.00 has been credited to your account. This credit can be viewed under the History section on the PokerStars Cashier.

Anyway, there seems to be an awful lot of decent but not great regs in the games now so I've started to do a bit of table selection. We'll see if that pays off.

Back to the grind...
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Nice little boost to the bankroll when you're already running good is always nice - Congratulations!
    • Minnow2Hook
      Minnow2Hook
      Bronze
      Congrats on your up swing. Having fun with the Reg's. Lots 25% of my BR' But I'll patch up those leaks & continue to Grind away. :s_cool: :s_cool:
    • RbrtV
      RbrtV
      Bronze
      Nice results. Sometimes we see each other at the tables, i'm currently play 0.5 stt's. In next week i'm gonna move up so be alert :f_biggrin: .
      Definitely will be follow this thread. GL!
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      How much time did it take to play all those 1.5$ 9mans and whats ur roi in them?
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      GL moving up stakes ;)

Nice to see ppl starting from the lowest stakes being able to move up due to hard work and studying!

Doing something similar atm (but in MTSNGs) and the feeling u get when moving up just 1 stake is nice!

GLGL

/AlcopopDK