Hello from Belfast

• Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      I've been a member for a few months but never checked the site until last week when I took up a Facebook offer of free training by Tiltberger.

It all began 12 years ago when Betfair introduced poker to their platform. I deposited £20 and played 25c/50c NL. I had a few bevvies in me and the only knowledge of poker I had was one tip not to go chasing with low pocket pairs. Next thing I knew I had £300 in my account. I immediately withdrew this and learned the game from the bottom up. I guess if I had lost the £20 then I wouldn't be here telling my story.

I discovered all sites ran freerolls so I proceeded to go through most site's and playing with the site's money and not my own. I'm now well into 5 figures profit over the years but like most newbies I never kept records so I don't know how much I've actually lifted. I've never had a losing year but I was a freeroller for many years. I still play the odd freeroll but for now I'll play anything from a €2 Jackpot SnG to the odd shot at €20 games.

I'm still a micro stakes player but there's plenty of free cash to be had. I've been playing the €2 Jackpot Sit and Goes on I-Poker under a variety of usernames. I've hit the jackpot once and hit the post a few times. I'm well bankrolled for €10 but not €20 games but I find these €2 games whale filled and it's easy winnings. I now count myself as a semi pro player, I make decent pocket money from the game but my volume is only around 20 games per day.

I don't table select but I think table selection is the best thing you can do to help your win rate. I'd also play the €5 jackpots but I there's just too many regs in these to make them profitable. To win 5 in a row is near impossible.

Highlights of my "career"

2 all expense trips to Dublin for the Boyle IPO including hotel and beer money
      Trip to the England v Paraguay World Cup match 2008
      4 trips to London thanks to Betfair (I'm a hopeless live player)
      €2k Jackpot on I-Poker
      Ipod, PSP and a few other gadgets/ books
      Turned several freeroll wins into 4 figures (currently $320 on PaddyPower from an initial free $5.)
      Several $1k score but nothing much bigger.
      Current PC set up was built from poker money and is tailored specifically for poker.
      I'm sure there are other wins/ prizes I've forgot about.

I've an 11% ROI on Pokerstars in 8,000 but just can't get out of the micro's on the site. Support says I've net withdrawn £2,000 but I generally avoid Pokerstars because most of the decent regs play there. I think a $1.50 on Pokerstars is the same standard as a €10 on I-Poker.

I'd like to take up one of the offers but I've went through most site's in my freeroll days.

Anyway, hope to be an active member. Good luck at the tables.
  • 9 replies
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Hi, jackpot soulmate! :) :f_thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure most of us have started careers with a heater, there's nothing to be ashamed of. That's how the poker industry works - most players flake after losing a few BIs, but those who do win get hooked and some of them gradually become great players, that may be your case too :)

As for my own relationship with STTs, it was actually the first format I played after shipping a freeroll for $8 back in Jan 2009 while a straight-A math student because I was (and still am) a bankroll nit and had no money online for anything else. I liked the format for its relatively fast pace that doesn't require as much commitment as MTTs (which I play pretty only in big fishy series and pretty only Omaha ones; it's sad that iPOPS doesn't get a single Omaha event ever).

During my first poker-quitting period last summer, I spotted William Hill's double points for tourneys, and the sheer amount of cashback thrown away in that August promo made me drool over $23.50 (then) Rio SnGs (15% rake machines as you know). I proceeded to play about 2K games (70% Rios, 30% Forts), didn't do nearly well because Forts are an utter regfest with 1 recreational per table (as well as €50+ superturbos, there's alas not that more money to be had than at Stars), but am pretty sure I'd have some post-cashback bread and butter in Rios if I continued. I had a series of 5 wins there, did some meditation magic before playing the 6th one (for €60K). Well, I'm still alive after that SnG because the meditation had been really good :f_biggrin: but still have to grind.

The money and the risk-reward ratio on offer in €5 Mauis (currently) and €10 Twisters is so immense, though, that I now prefer them for the grind when my main PLO20-50 games are bad. Mauis are boring to death, though.

Good luck at the tables (except for running exactly at EV against me, hehe)!

Regards,
      Tony (aka Jack Potter)

P.S. Though you likely don't understand Russian, you might use some translator to read the blogs of our frequent JPSnG opponents Oleg aka Catch27 and Misha aka Mishantiy. Alas, Catch is grinding exactly €2 Dirty Dozens for that €2K JP now - withdrawing to end the mortgage and a downswing have destroyed his BR. A Russian regposter Denis aka beermixtoday is also grinding Mauis and chatting with us fellow regs but has recently requested removal of his blog. (Oleg and Denis have both shipped the main Rio JP, Misha has won only two Dirty JPs so far but is such an aggro soul-owning beast, I'm sure he's gonna ship the Rio soon.)

Oh, and what do you think of Spin & Goes coming to Stars.com presumably in October? Are they worth switching over for SNE-2015 if they run at the $25+ level? (To be honest, I'm skeptical of being more profitable at the 30s than in Twister - the net rake at Stars will likely be too darn high as always :f_rolleyes: )
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      One last thought: if you happen to yet have no account with Ladbrokes - the most recent addition to iPoker - definitely have a look at their August promo lineup when it gets published. I'm waiting for it myself and don't really know what they're gonna please us with, but speaking of July, it's been amazing and not even requiring a big grind to get great returns. As of this month, it would take only 22 Dirties a day on 20 days to get SnG Kingdom bonuses (€16 instant + up to €24 pending [more like €20 in reality as it expires in 15 days] - the latter being incompatible with the welcome one, though) + the Duke (VIP4) level giving access to €750 VIP freerolls (worth a few euros a week) + 17.5% cashback from feeding the LB points to the Weekly Booster + the Gold status here on PS allowing to watch most of the recent SnG videos. It adds up to 60-65% if I'm not mistaken.
    • Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      I don't table select at €2 but at €5 I do.

There's nothing worse at a table full of regs that are all playing the same game. I know I can adapt but so can my opponents. With a table full of reg's you are fighting over 3 prizes and with the rake I don't think there's value especially with the 5 win requirements.

Next step up is €20 which is a big jump. I've no probs taking a shot but I haven't a bankroll to keep playing these. I'm a nit with a decent bankroll sense. I've played a few, even made a profit but these are shots and not a regular game I'll play.

I don't want to play good players, I'd rather chase the whales ;)

I recognise the "potter" alias :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there Ovalman and welcome!

It seems you know what you're about so I won't give you the beginners guide today and bore you to death!
      Tony knows his way around and will help keep you on the right path with these games - I on the other hand am a complete fish, you'd love me on you right! :tongue:

I will however, wish you well butif there is anything I can help you with please just ask.

Very best regards,

Mal.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by gadget51
      I on the other hand am a complete fish, you'd love me on you right! :tongue:
      Yeah, come grind Mauis with us! :f_cool:

In 2 hours from now, the Maui JP goes up to as many as 5600 BIs. Even if you play so weak that you'll ship it only once in 56K games (in the case of 11.5% of 1st places in the 10-man SnGs, with the 'grandmaster strength' being <20K games, corresponding to 14% of 1st places), you'll still have a 10% extra ROI just from the JP. Seriously, Mauis are by far the biggest games in town now :f_love: (until someone ships that JP and Rio fans return to their realm).

Btw, Ovalman, I totally agree with your selective approach. One of the reasons is that I find it suboptimal to play more than 4 Mauis at a time - if I happen to win 4 in a row, I'll never forgive myself for having to play the 5th one right away, without due preparation. And they fill up so fast that I have to skip ~half of them at peak hours (the reggy hours when selection makes sense at all), so why not skip the most reg-infested ones?

I haven't been seriously into Mauis so far, but I think I can start grinding them more systematically from Tuesday on, adding two €10 Twister tables to avoid boredom and ensure proper daily rake.

Oh, and consider starting a blog in this subforum so that more people see your progress and we can converse there.
    • Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      The problem with the Maui's is the poor structure. It really is a nitfest with 4+ regs in every game. Combining these with the higher rake, there is no value in playing. I think the best players in these would struggle with an ROI in double figures..

The value lies in the Dirty Dozen games, there is a lot of really bad players TBH and most of the Regs make mistakes (in my eyes). I've only a handful of players tagged in red (ie. dangeroius/ pretty good), the rest are either rock shovetards, ABC regs or lagtards.

My username comes from my football team I support. Oval is the home ground of Glentoran FC. I'm not fat or round, honest! We played Partick Thistle in a friendly yesterday and I was at the match.

My combined bankrolls across all I-Poker skins would enable me to play the RIO games but on any one site I'm not rolled for them. I had a shot at them when I came home from the match (Dutch courage).

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zrmdr5.png

These are a far better structure and definitely beatable. The only problem is I'm not a reg in these so I'm an unknown. I'm sure I make loads of mistakes even though I work hard on my game. One reg started 3 betting me after a while (I was pretty laggy TBH) so I 4 betted to combat this. I think he was just picking up on one of my stats TBH but I will get caught in the cookie jar at some stage. The more I play at this level, the more stats my opponents can rip me apart. I'd much rather play these than the €5 Maui's but my bankroll prevents me being a reg.

I think I've discovered a way to make 110% rakeback on William Hill. Much of it is paid out in tournament tickets but these tickets have value. For £58 paid per month you can get around £64 in value back. It requires a Betfair or Betdaq account though as some of the value is paid in free bets. They give out a £15 free bet for €28 in rake paid but if you use matched betting you can lock in £12 risk free. Much of the rest of the value is in tickets won but most of these games have low numbers and it's easy to cash.

I like to think out of the box at times. As I said I'm semi pro :D I try and give myself a weekly wage from the game but I look at different ways I can work things to my advantage.

Edit: How do I add an image?
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Ovalman

Edit: How do I add an image?
      Hey Ovalman,

Yeah I remember you from our 45 man group. Unfortunately that was recently wound up as the most active posters moved to 6 max STTs.

Unfortunately you need minimum bronze status to display images in your posts.

Check the free money page and our list of partner rooms.

Either taking advantage of the free money (if you are eligible) or signing up to one of our available partner rooms will give you the 1 SP (StrategyPoint) necessary to achieve lifetime bronze status. Bronze status also allows you to send friend requests and PMs through our community tool., as well as opening up more strategy and videos.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Cheers

Laz

P.S. Enjoy a freebie
    • Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      I'd a decent ROI in the 45 man games but as I've stated I think there are better players on Pokerstars in general. A $1.50 is the same level as a €10 on I-Poker. The value lies away from Pokerstars. It's senseless playing $1.50 games when I can beat €10 elsewhere. The only game I play on Stars is the Pokercast which I've won 3 times. I always look for added tourneys and extra value when I can.

Yes I'll take up one of the offers but I seem to be grinding on 3 sites and making decent profits so I'm not sure when I can fit it in :D
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Let's continue the discussion in your blog.

To add a link to it into your signature (to appear under your every post), click 'Your profile' on the top left (of a forum page), choose 'Edit Signature' and, in the editor, click the picture with a globe and chain ('Add Link').