My last try at poker

    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Hello, my name is Filip and this is going to be my poker blog. I've never had one although I've been playing for few years. As title says it's my last try at poker(at least for some time).

      I've tried many different formats and games, from HUSNG's all the way to 2-7TD. Last thing I was serious about was PLO, I've put a lot of hours in but with small roll and rake on micros(plus my stupid decisions) varience almost killed me. I was doing fine on PLO5,10 and was transtioning to PLO25 but then came time of the year when every player has BIG dream, it was SCOOP time. I lost like 80% of my roll in those series. I was pretty mad at myself at that point and my volume and work on the game suffered.

      Enough about past, I've withdrawn everything from my Stars account and I had left 27$ on my skrill who knows why. So, I decided to give another shot to Poker and I deposited those 27$ on Betfair. Many people say iPoker is full of regs and game aren't beatable anymore but I highly daught. I say you can beat and outsmart anyone if you work hard enough. I am going back to game(NLHE) that I learned first, was even staked at one point :f_cool: .

      My weekly goals:
      -read at least one chapter of Applications of NLHE, after I finish that book I go to Mathematics of Poker
      -10k hands for start
      -take a look at at least 3 hands here on PS every day
      -review hands after session that I marked

      Any feedback is more than welcome. I'm also looking for study partners and skype learning groups for sweat sessions and strat talks.
  • 42 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Joined: 23.06.2008 Posts: 5,622
      Hi there Filip it's nice to have you here blogging. :)

      I think most of us have gone through a bad bankroll management stage in one form or another, so you aren't alone there I assure you. :rolleyes:

      Now, what you perhaps need is this:

      [Coaching] From Zero to Hero - Master the Basics and Refine your Game

      Just turn up and ask any questions you'd like to and learn how not to go broke but how to win and enjoy it. He really is a good coach, trust me on this.

      And at the micros there are not only a lot of worse players, you'll soon find the so-called 'regs' aren't a lot better! :]


      I do wish you good luck with this blog and hope you have fun with learning, but if you need any further help just ask!

      Regards,

      Mal.

      Mal.
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi there Filip it's nice to have you here blogging. :)

      I think most of us have gone through a bad bankroll management stage in one form or another, so you aren't alone there I assure you. :rolleyes:

      Now, what you perhaps need is this:

      [Coaching] From Zero to Hero - Master the Basics and Refine your Game

      Just turn up and ask any questions you'd like to and learn how not to go broke but how to win and enjoy it. He really is a good coach, trust me on this.

      And at the micros there are not only a lot of worse players, you'll soon find the so-called 'regs' aren't a lot better! :]


      I do wish you good luck with this blog and hope you have fun with learning, but if you need any further help just ask!

      Regards,

      Mal.

      Mal.
      Hi Mal, Ty for warm welcome. I checked out the link you posted but unfortunately I'm not a silver star and i won't be able to access those coachings. Thx for suggestion.

      Regards,
      Filip
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 23.03.2011 Posts: 9,217
      Hey Filip,

      Indeed it's nice to see you blogging. :)

      The best place to look for study groups is on our Learning to Win board.

      Just either advertise your own study group or check the board for existing ones.

      Have fun

      Laz
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey Filip,

      Indeed it's nice to see you blogging. :)

      The best place to look for study groups is on our Learning to Win board.

      Just either advertise your own study group or check the board for existing ones.

      Have fun

      Laz
      Ty Laz, I'll check it out soon
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      So little update, after 2.5k hands my bankroll reached 45$ which is good and I'm happy about it. I do however want to increase the volume a bit, only playing 2 days. Tommorow I'll review all hands I marked throught sessions and will review 2 or 3 regs, to see how can I increase my expectation against them.

      Will post graph when I reach 5k hands :D
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Today i reviewed every hand I marked in previous sessions. I've also reviewed play(hands went to showdown) of 2 regs and found way to exploit them, I can read their game easy now.

      I had one BE session today where I played 1.1k hands. The goal today is to reach 5k hands from start of this journey.
    • ZapOut
      ZapOut
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.08.2011 Posts: 222
      You are doing very well !
      However i would not suggest to make hand number as the limit of day.
      Only because imagine if you lose 3 buy-ins straight away, would you like to continue play if you have xxxx hands more play ? It will make only pressure for you. What others think ? What would be professional look at day limits, is it the x amount sit&goes or x number tourneys per day(just the amount, lets say 100 sit&goes and 10 tourney), or x number sit&goes an tourneys in buy ins, like 10 for sit&go and 5 for tourney ? Same with cash games, what you think, in buy ins or hand limits per day ? What would be the best approach to bankroll ? Having bankroll lets say 100 buy in for every format. I myself will have buy in limits of losing streak. Winning streak could take for whole day once in a while :)
      Anyway, just my few thoughts.
      Nice that you are doing session reviews, i am doing them as well :)
      Just sometimes i have been skipping some hands, now i wont. I will take it serious. I will watch it like a movie. I will be the director and the movie begins.
      Will try to come up with a story with every hand i play.
      You could try to do it same, you might love it :)
      Wish you best of luck and fun in your journey. Remember to stay strong, no matter what. Because sometimes it is very hard, when you get punched in every street.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Joined: 23.06.2008 Posts: 5,622
      Hey Filip,

      My sincere apologies I totally forgot you needed silver to access that coaching. Very sorry to have misinformed you.

      It does appear you're doing just fine without my interference anyway, so good for you there. These great guys and gals on the forums will keep you on the right track as well, just make sure you post those hands and keep talking!

      Keep going and have fun,

      Mal.
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Originally posted by ZapOut
      You are doing very well !
      However i would not suggest to make hand number as the limit of day.
      Only because imagine if you lose 3 buy-ins straight away, would you like to continue play if you have xxxx hands more play ? It will make only pressure for you. What others think ? What would be professional look at day limits, is it the x amount sit&goes or x number tourneys per day(just the amount, lets say 100 sit&goes and 10 tourney), or x number sit&goes an tourneys in buy ins, like 10 for sit&go and 5 for tourney ? Same with cash games, what you think, in buy ins or hand limits per day ? What would be the best approach to bankroll ? Having bankroll lets say 100 buy in for every format. I myself will have buy in limits of losing streak. Winning streak could take for whole day once in a while :)
      Anyway, just my few thoughts.
      Nice that you are doing session reviews, i am doing them as well :)
      Just sometimes i have been skipping some hands, now i wont. I will take it serious. I will watch it like a movie. I will be the director and the movie begins.
      Will try to come up with a story with every hand i play.
      You could try to do it same, you might love it :)
      Wish you best of luck and fun in your journey. Remember to stay strong, no matter what. Because sometimes it is very hard, when you get punched in every street.
      Hey ZapOut,
      thx for the support. I would personally like that I'm not influenced by how I start the session, although it's impossible. I like to set myself time for playing and I will usually play during scheduled time not depending on how I run. When I first started with NLHE I did the same way as you, I had stop loss. I don't like to stop my session early if I get it in three times flipping or something like that. I'm more bothered by monkeys who call me down with 26o :s_evil: . I think it helps that I played PLO before, and there 10 BI swings during session are very common and I almost got used to that. So now I'm not that influenced by few BIs downswings. I look at it as a challenge, trying to be the best even with the worse cards. Can't win all the time but neither can you play only when running hot. You should try it by yourself.

      I'll definetly try your method for reviewing hands. I find it hard to review them every day, so I do it every few days and do it more effectively.

      What do you play? Which stakes?

      GL to you aswell.
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hey Filip,

      My sincere apologies I totally forgot you needed silver to access that coaching. Very sorry to have misinformed you.

      It does appear you're doing just fine without my interference anyway, so good for you there. These great guys and gals on the forums will keep you on the right track as well, just make sure you post those hands and keep talking!

      Keep going and have fun,

      Mal.
      Hey Mal,

      no worries about that. I'll post some hands that I have trouble with tommorow. This blog(plus people) thing really does motivate, at least I feel so.

      Filip
    • ZapOut
      ZapOut
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.08.2011 Posts: 222
      Yes indeed, i am getting bothered too, when those monkeys hit few outers. :evil: And i dont have major tilt issues. I can go with just a laugh. Some spews now and then is normal. None of us is perfect.
      I got your point about bankroll and poker. I actually came up with an idea from your view, adding a little bit of my own.
      Well, good luck at tables. Make your homework and crush them like a pro ! :)
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      This is the graph so far:

    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      In last 2 days it didn't go that well as on beginning. Bankroll stands at 35$, but I played 4.2k hands so rakeback almost covers losses. I'm not too disappointed, it's opportuinity to learn something.

      Yesterday I had a feeling that I was doing something wrong preflop and I figured it out after session. I was 3betting too polarized range OOP which is not good if you get called IP most of the time with marginal hands. Also, SC lose value on this stakes so I decided to remove big part of them from my ranges as if you for example open 87s lot of people on these stakes will call you with J7, T7 and other stuff that dominates your hand. You're rarely gonna smash the flop and when you do you won't get too much action as player pool is very passive.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 23.03.2011 Posts: 9,217
      Hey Filip,

      Awesome. This is why session reviews are so important :s_cool:

      Plug them leaks.

      Laz
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Today's study consists of:
      -watch 'Master the preflop game' video
      -review few winning regs and pick up something useful from their game which I can use against fish

      I've already read 4 chapters of 'Applications of NLHE' and made some calcs considering preflop. I've also started reading verneer's guide for microstakes just to remind myself about basic concepts, I plan to finish it by the end of the week.
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Yesterday I did all the study mentioned before and increased my roll up to 40$ again. Today I started watching strategy video on 3betting.

      I won't play today as I decided it should be good time to have a 1 day break. In past I used to have problems with burn outs so this should help keeping me fresh and motivated. I figure 1 day a week off is OK.
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Yesterday I played around 3k hands and finished BE, it was like :facepalm:
      So after that I studied my own play and reviewed some 3bet spots and figured what should I change.

      Today I got back to 45$ with my roll and so far played 1.3k hands.



      Probably best role model for mindset :D

    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 67
      Haven't updated last few days. It went well, I'm sure I'll be up to NL5 very fast. Bankroll stands at 66$. But first, two weeks vacation :D

      GL to those who will be grinding
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 23.03.2011 Posts: 9,217
      Hey Filip,

      Hope you have an awesome break. Make sure you come back nice and refreshed. The NL5 guys won't know what hit them. :evil:

      Have fun

      Laz