Life In The Forums

• NextChamp
      NextChamp
      Bronze
      Hey guys, first of all WHASUP!

Just thought I'd drop my first blog, bored as hell and no one to talk to about poker and I guess this is a place where I can just let it all out, speak the mind with whatever I gotta say...I guess I'll be dropping in with some random sh** or what I think about when reading the forums.

There were so many times I came to a brick wall that just put everything about poker in a halt. I was frustrated, confused, felt like giving up and on all the months and years I've played poker. Yea, I was one of those players that just played and never gave a crap about studying in the beginning and just wanting to make some fast cash which was totally the wrong route for practicing the right way to becoming a better player.

I was reading through a few of the forums and came across this thread that really got my attention that had me practicing in a better effective way. So I've been using this method of practicing and everything about it makes me feel like I'm finally doing it the right way. I'm sure there are a lot of ways that work for every individual poker player. I would sure like to know all kinds of ways since I think everyone has their own unique ways. So this one that I've found really got me working my hardest I've ever worked on poker in my life.

I'm most certain this is the breakthrough I've been searching for and it was always in front of me and never gave the time to look at it in better ways and it's probably right in front of everyone too.

So I've gathered a sh** load of information, got my poker tools and equipment, books and notes, videos and training sources, and whatever else I got book marked. Finally found my beginning.

Before I leave, I've climbed my way out of 2nl to 10nl...Currently @ 10nl I should say and when playing at these stakes I've found that there are more regs and more players start to understand the game, so hard work and practice and none of that ABC BS doesn't go here. It's the up field battle that starts and striving forward is the main plan and none of that slack off BS that goes through the mind that corrupts a lot of unsuccessful poker players.

Thanks for listening and glgl
  • 10 replies
    • andiofwbafc
      andiofwbafc
      Bronze
      Nice post :)

Which thread was it that made you change your focus?

Is it still around?

I myself am studying hard to become a better player after a rather poor start to my poker career where I was just trying to make a quick buck.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      greetings OP.

i would say the most important thing to learn is to control your emotions. if you can do this then you will have a big edge over the field. the technical stuff can be learnt by anyone but the mental game is much much harder to master.

welcome and good luck.
    • NextChamp
      NextChamp
      Bronze
      http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/101/coaching-advice/systematic-training-drills-nlhe-1107105/
    • NextChamp
      NextChamp
      Bronze
      I def agree that emotions is one major area and that everyone should learn to control them and what really helps that is putting it in the works, practicing it consistently just like everything else. No one can do anything naturally and it's all about practice that involves when trying to master anything. Poker has so many variables and putting in the hardest work with all of them is a tough thing but isn't impossible. It's all about how much passion and dedication you put into your work that gets it there.

Thanks for sharing Badgerer (y)
    • NextChamp
      NextChamp
      Bronze
      This is a list I always remind myself to read through to keep my mind refreshed when getting down to practicing. I think reminders are always a good thing to have on your desk in front of you.

Identify your skills
      Practice your skills
      Strive for Improvement
      Monitor your Performance
      Evaluate your Success
      Practice Repeatedly
      Practice Intensively
      Practice on a regular daily basis
      Dedication and Passion
      Strive for Unconscious Competence
      Practice isn't always supposed to be fun
      Be Self Demanding
      Always Push yourself
      There's always some way to do it better.
      Always know the research
      Record and reflect more systematically
      Obtain feedback immediately
      Test > Feedback > Adjust

Practice is not Playing poker, Practice is working on your game a way from the tables. imo
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Platinum
      Seems like you have developed a good mindset here, hopefully this have been going on for quite some time, but if this is a new thing to you, be aware and look for indicators that this passion and enthusiasm starts fading away, just being aware of it will make you work harder and prob will keep you motivated through some harder times.

Just some random thoughts while reading this thread.

But while you have all this hype about it i recommend you to check out this thread, maybe you can find something for yourself.

The effects of poker on life
    • NextChamp
      NextChamp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rufus433
      Seems like you have developed a good mindset here, hopefully this have been going on for quite some time, but if this is a new thing to you, be aware and look for indicators that this passion and enthusiasm starts fading away, just being aware of it will make you work harder and prob will keep you motivated through some harder times.

Just some random thoughts while reading this thread.

But while you have all this hype about it i recommend you to check out this thread, maybe you can find something for yourself.

The effects of poker on life
      I sure know what the passion and enthusiasm feels like when it fades away, it reminds me of 2 years ago when I wasn't doing any of this good stuff. After placing 45th in my first major live tourney which was WPT last year is where things stuck me, and you just have to dig deeper into what your trying to get done. And getting more practice might just get me that first place in the future :)

thanks for sharing rufus :)
    • andiofwbafc
      andiofwbafc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NextChamp
      http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/101/coaching-advice/systematic-training-drills-nlhe-1107105/
      Hi,

Thanks for sharing, will be sure to check it out when I have a bit more time on my hands.

All the best, Andio
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Hello Wellow :-)

Thank you for bringing that link, I have seen it in the past and I haven't done anything about it. Now that I read through again, I really want to get some of the drills into my study hours, especially the Mental estimation of equity and also the Hand reading thing with filtering showdown hands in HEM.

I don't feel like playing blind is the wisest thing to do in Micro-limits ^_^
      Actively watch a training video, perhaps makes sense, although have to pick up a video that review a play in our limits (nl5 in my case).

Anyways, good luck ;)
    • NextChamp
      NextChamp
      Bronze
      The thing with poker math, I've never really been so good at it and I'm talking about the deep heavy stuff that can fill the whole page for just one hand. I know pot odds, counting my outs and making the right calls or fold due to the odds and all the other basic math you learn in high school. But does it really have to go further than all the basic stuff? Because at the table your not going to be able to think about it all at once, well I know I wouldn't be able to and remembering the charts or having them right beside you. So what works better for me is discussing all the math about the hand in the forums, (Saves me the headaches). Well of course I won't be talking much math and so what makes that better for me is letting the guys talk the math when they're discussing my hand, I ask a question of two. I just think I'll never really be that good at the math even though I can practice it a ton, and at the same time who would want to teach me? Hmm?

I really think that I over think the math part most of the time so from now on I'm leaving it the mathematicians. And before leaving this post, thanks in advanced to the math guys that put their work in to my hands, very appreciated. Thank god there are such things as "Forums"

I hope one day the math will come out in me but for now, basic math works just fine for me :)