Ask Drawing Dead director Mike Weeks a question to win his movie

• BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Drawing Dead, the poker documentary starring Dusty 'Leatherass9' Schmidt, is now available to buy in Europe. You can buy it on iTunes, as well as getting versions with French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, and Portuguese subtitles direct from the Drawing Dead website.

The documentary maker Mike Weeks has kindly donated five copies of the movie to be given away to PokerStrategy.com members. All you have to do to win a copy is ask Mike a question by replying in this forum by August 8. We will then publish the answers later, and his favourite five questions will all win a free copy.

The documentary was an independent project by Weeks and follows the fortunes of a big winner (Dusty Schmidt) and a player who lost it all, Michael Korpi. It follows them before and after Black Friday.

Suggested lines of questioning could include:

• Mike's own background in poker
      • His views on problem gambling before and after the documentary
      • What it was like working with Dusty Schmidt
      • How he created and marketed the movie independently with next to no budget
      • What he thought of Bet Raise Fold

You can find out more about the movie here.

• 18 replies
    • ahlinpoker
      ahlinpoker
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      What does the title "Drawing Dead" symbolize? How did it come to your mind? Does it mean that the careers of all online poker players despite all the "highs" will ultimately end at some "low"?
    • Fr0z3nByt3
      Fr0z3nByt3
      Bronze
      After watching this, would a person who doesn't play poker be tempted to try it?
      And for the poker players watching this, would the story of Korpi make them more aware of the sick downswings that can happen or more motivated because of Dusty Schmidt's story?
    • lui69
      lui69
      Bronze
      Hey Mike!

At first - great work there !

I was wondering about your motivation - What was your motivation to produce such a film and why did Dusty became your protagonist.

Cheers
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      How is Michael Korpi doing now? Did he try to play according to BRM at all (Bankroll Management)? He should try this way. To be scared from something and run away is bad idea. :(
    • my5tyle
      my5tyle
      Bronze
      When and what was you "key-moment" after that you realized that poker could affect your life more than you ever thought before?
    • Zanardi1
      Zanardi1
      Bronze
      My question is this:

How do you think Full Tilt Poker can have again the traffic, the brand and the notoriety it had before Black Friday and why doesn't being bought by PokerStars help this poker room?
    • FinalTableTillus
      FinalTableTillus
      Gold
      Hi!

Do you think your movie will draw attention to the topic also outside of the standard degen internet poker audience and if so how does the movie itself or your marketing achieve it?
    • cardman021
      cardman021
      Basic
      Hi,

My question is, though I'm a big fan of Dusty. Why did you choose him? Well, I just thought that there are other more famous poker players out there that I think are more well known like nanonoko.. And what made you decide to create a poker movie?
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Did you consider basing this film on different people in poker that where not seen in the film?? Also if you had to do anything differently what would it be?
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I'm in the process of making a poker mockumentary myself and am wondering how you've tackled the problem of specific poker terminology? Since the poker community has almost its own language, have you just tried to use as little terms that only poker players would know, or just used them assuming most of the audience will already know?
    • Mitra2008
      Mitra2008
      Platinum
      is there any chance that if I ask this question, then I win?
    • SniffvsSnaf
      SniffvsSnaf
      Silver
      Hi Mike! Im not sure if you are aware, off the recent hardships Dusty has gone and goes through. Appearently he claims and has some proof to it, that playing online poker in the amounts he did, is very unhealthy for the brain.

So he is going through some serious mental issues and would give a lot of the millions he won to switch his brain back to the state before he started massive online tabling poker.

So now we have a somewhat fallen hero. Fallen in a way, that raises a lot of questions. Think that theme alone could be the basis for a Drawing Dead II... Wonder about Korpi - maybe he turned his life around in to a win?!.

So question: With Dustys story turning do you consider to produce a sequel?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dustys Blogentry about his recent problems: Dusty Schmidt: This Is My Brain, This Is My Brain On Poker
    • Zugwat
      Zugwat
      Bronze
      How did you actually managed your Bankrollmanagement by grinding up in Stacks through your Games? When did you move to the next Blind Level and when where you went down?
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      Hey Mike, do we get to see Hero table flip or angrily roundhouse-kick villain in the face? Or is there some Hellmuth footage to really bring tears to my eyes?
    • mikelito85
      mikelito85
      Bronze
      How did you do to make such an interesting documentary with just 20k$?
    • hasiha
      hasiha
      Bronze
      Hey Mike,

was it difficult to combine the good and the bad aspects and to remain objective?
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      Every pleasurable activity has a potential downside to varying degrees - alcohol, drugs, sex, smoking, gym.... Some obviously more damaging than others!

So taking into account all the pluses and minuses that you have seen at close hand, do you believe that poker has - both on an individual and broader level - a positive EV for society?

Cheers. And well done on your sterling work!

Charlie
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      The winners are:

lui69
      Fro3nByt3
      clerkenwell boi
      ahlinpoker
      SniffvsSnaf

Mike's answers will be on the site on Friday.

I will add the winners as friends, please accept my friend request and forward your email address to me so I can get you the prizes.