Issue installing SideKick! Need it for Promotion ASAP :)

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      I run on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I just downloaded "SideKickSetup.exe" from the website and started it, after accepting the conditions and pressing continue I get an error message from "Microsoft .NET Framework" saying:
      Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.
      If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The system cannot find the file specified."

Here are the details:
      See the end of this message for details on invoking
      just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
      System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
      at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
      at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
      at PSC.Setup.SetupContext.ConditionallyInstall(WebBrowser browser)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
      at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
      at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
      mscorlib
      Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
      Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8000 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)
      CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
      ----------------------------------------
      SideKickSetup
      Assembly Version: 1.0.909.1
      Win32 Version: 1.0.00909.1
      CodeBase: file:///C:/-%20Scourger%20-/Source%20Files/Downloads/SideKickSetup.exe
      System.Windows.Forms
      Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.7905 (win9rel.050727-7900)
      CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
      System
      CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
      System.Drawing
      CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
      To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
      application or computer (machine.config) must have the
      jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
      The application must also be compiled with debugging
      enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
      <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
      </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
      will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
      rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Tried every compatibility mode with and without administrator rights, with and without antivirus/firewall.
      Nothing changes.

Please help :)
  • 6 replies
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm forwarding this to my colleague to look at this closer, tomorrow.

We'll get back to you asap!

BR
      Markus
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrk1988
      Hi,

I'm forwarding this to my colleague to look at this closer, tomorrow.

We'll get back to you asap!

BR
      Markus
      Aaaaah thx! I was losing hope xP
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi AtrociousNightmare,

The error message is pretty ambiguous.
      My dev machine's Win 8.1 x64 and I just checked on a clean VM, too. I couldn't reproduce the issue.
      So instead of investigating further, here's a quick workaround:

Open Internet Explorer (important, other browsers won't work) and navigate to http://sidekick.pokerstrategy.com/ApplicationServices/Apps/42/Prod/Install/PokerStrategy.com%20SideKick.application

This should launch the app installation.

Cheers,
      M.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PS.Markus
      Hi AtrociousNightmare,

The error message is pretty ambiguous.
      My dev machine's Win 8.1 x64 and I just checked on a clean VM, too. I couldn't reproduce the issue.
      So instead of investigating further, here's a quick workaround:

Open Internet Explorer (important, other browsers won't work) and navigate to http://sidekick.pokerstrategy.com/ApplicationServices/Apps/42/Prod/Install/PokerStrategy.com%20SideKick.application

This should launch the app installation.

Cheers,
      M.
      Forgot to update here, sorry.

After you wrote that, I remembered I entirely disabled (from the windows features thing) IE from my pc (die you microsoft!).
      After turning it back on, the installation worked normally.

I have to say that's a very unusual installation process from you, and I would like to know why it has to go through IE.

I hope I won't have to keep IE on on my pc just because of SideKick.
      And I hope you will develop a version that is not bound to it :D
    • PS.Markus
      PS.Markus
      Bronze
      Hi,

We use ClickOnce as installation engine. Mainly because it's incredibly easy to deploy updates. That way we can make sure, that everyone receives the latest version with the e.g. new missions before we start the promotion. So that's very unlikely to change.

We took for granted that every Windows installation provides IE to be honest. In fact you're the very first (who we know of) who actively removed IE from his system. So there wasn't much of a need to explore other ways.

To answer your questions (in theory, I haven't tested this, but I'd be interested in actual results):

IE is only needed to start the installation from the web location, other browser just download the file. Updates should be handled directly by the ClickOnce engine, so IE should not be required for that.

It's also possible to feed the web location directly to the engine (pretty much what IE does instead of downloading):
      code:
      rundll32.exe dfshim.dll,ShOpenVerbApplication http://sidekick.pokerstrategy.com/ApplicationServices/Apps/42/Prod/Install/PokerStrategy.com%20SideKick.application

Cheers,
      M.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PS.Markus
      Hi,

We use ClickOnce as installation engine. Mainly because it's incredibly easy to deploy updates. That way we can make sure, that everyone receives the latest version with the e.g. new missions before we start the promotion. So that's very unlikely to change.

We took for granted that every Windows installation provides IE to be honest. In fact you're the very first (who we know of) who actively removed IE from his system. So there wasn't much of a need to explore other ways.

To answer your questions (in theory, I haven't tested this, but I'd be interested in actual results):

IE is only needed to start the installation from the web location, other browser just download the file. Updates should be handled directly by the ClickOnce engine, so IE should not be required for that.

It's also possible to feed the web location directly to the engine (pretty much what IE does instead of downloading):
      code:
      rundll32.exe dfshim.dll,ShOpenVerbApplication http://sidekick.pokerstrategy.com/ApplicationServices/Apps/42/Prod/Install/PokerStrategy.com%20SideKick.application

Cheers,
      M.
      You Rock!