Table selecting

• Kokuruz
      Kokuruz
      Bronze
      Hello lads!
      I know that table selection is very important (easy opponents=easy money), but what should I look at when choosing a table?
      My thinking is that I should check for players at the table and if there are a lot of players with less then 100BBs that they are weak fishy players.
      Then I take at the avg. pot size and %players on the flop.
      Since I am a TAG I'm thinking that I need to search for tables where the avg. pot size is bigger and a bigger % percentage of players on the flop since I am not looking to collect the blinds as a TAG, and I want to get the big pots.
      Is my thinking correct and am I missing on anything else?
  • 12 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Kokuruz,

You may actually be thinking a little backward here. When table selecting it is best first to recognise the good regs and mark them and then try to avoid tables with more than 2 regs (6 max) or 4 regs (FR)

My personal opinion is you are thinking a lot deeper than you need to. Having said that I don't know what limits you are playing.

Please don't tell me you are playing NL50+

Regards

Laz
    • parikal
      parikal
      Bronze
      ok, i think if you want play against fish you must select tables like them.
      just find an empty seat and jump in!
      it works great for me.
    • Kokuruz
      Kokuruz
      Bronze
      I'm playing 2NL
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Kokuruz,

At NL2 it is not necessary to table select. Are you sure you are a TAG or are you tight passive. A TAG will have figures like 26/22 24/22 etc while a tight passive will have figures like 22/14 20/8.

The difference lies in the.hands you limp. I like to think of myself as a TAG but I will continually slip back into the TP way because I'm a nit.

Check your figures and it will tell you the type of player you are.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. We welcome them

Laz
    • Kokuruz
      Kokuruz
      Bronze
      HEM2 says I'm a TAG :)
      20/15
      AF 3,1
      3b 5,2 (a bit loose here I guess, depends on the table)
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Originally posted by parikal
      ok, i think if you want play against fish you must select tables like them.
      just find an empty seat and jump in!
      it works great for me.
      Ironically, this has a grain of truth :f_biggrin:

1) Tables with non-empty waiting lists are overrated. When you're invited to the table, one of its fishes will usually have gone bust and usually replaced by a reg. Occupy those lists if you're comfortable with them popping up all the time and with rejecting them without losing focus on the currently played tables, but don't hold your breath anyway.

2) If you suddenly jump onto a table with 5 regs, at least one of them will quit because they're smart too and won't play in -EV lineups; that seat will eventually get replaced by a fish because a reg just won't sit there for the same reason :f_biggrin:

Actually, I think the 'table rejection' approach (the term is courtesy of Tommy Angelo) is more viable: occupy as many tables and empty waitlists as you can, but sit out or quit a table after you find out that it's been or become bad. This way, you won't miss promising tables that are misrepresented in the lobby (e.g. a fish or two have just sat at a previously nitty table and the table VPIP stat hasn't gone up yet).

Also, I code opponents with (provisional) colours every time I leave a table (or the opponent sits out just before quitting), and rely on colours more than on lobby stats.

I previously wrote on the topic here.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kokuruz
      20/15
      AF 3,1
      Not a TAG. Looks pretty nitty. And 5,2% 3bet is not loose, it's not even close to loose. :D It's also nitty, I mean people will always only set mine against you.

I play something like 31/26/10.
    • Kokuruz
      Kokuruz
      Bronze
      Thx for help all of you I immidieatly started colouring players. And specially ty tony for your effort.
      GL and HF at the tables!
    • whiteace
      whiteace
      Bronze
      Nice. good to know. Tnx
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      20/15
      AF 3,1
      Not a TAG. Looks pretty nitty. And 5,2% 3bet is not loose, it's not even close to loose. :D It's also nitty, I mean people will always only set mine against you.

Possible difference between 6-max and FR maybe?

Also, the default HM2 categories may be a little dated -- especially in fast-fold games people play differently.

Just to make sure I wasn't spewing nonsense, I looked them up:
      Tag -- default values are the same for both 6-Max and FR
      *I don't know if the "hands" number is overall or opportunities
      5 < PF 3Bet < 10 (100 hands) (if < 5 then ABC player if the other values are the same -- AF ignored)
      12 < PF VPIP < 25 (30 hands) (if > 25 then LAG -- 3Bet and PFR ignored AF > 2)
      8 < PFR < 25 (30 hands)
      AF > 2 (10 hands)

Now that I know that, I might just edit my 6-max TAG values a wee bit.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      20/15
      AF 3,1

Possible difference between 6-max and FR maybe?

Also, the default HM2 categories may be a little dated -- especially in fast-fold games people play differently.

Just to make sure I wasn't spewing nonsense, I looked them up:
      Tag -- default values are the same for both 6-Max and FR
      *I don't know if the "hands" number is overall or opportunities
      5 < PF 3Bet < 10 (100 hands) (if < 5 then ABC player if the other values are the same -- AF ignored)
      12 < PF VPIP < 25 (30 hands) (if > 25 then LAG -- 3Bet and PFR ignored AF > 2)
      8 < PFR < 25 (30 hands)
      AF > 2 (10 hands)

Now that I know that, I might just edit my 6-max TAG values a wee bit.

Cheers,
      --VS
      Can't find him mentioning that he plays FR. So I always assume 6-max as default.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      I still don't know why 20/15/5 can't be TAG.. Sounds like default TAG preflop approach to me.. Even with lower vpip like 18-19 still TAG stats PF. Postflop aggression frequencies would tell more if he is TAG or not ..