Two months in .....sooooo many questions :)

• versaith
      versaith
      Basic
      I got hurt at work so I've had two months off and am really enjoying poker. I play the FL 36 person tourney (6-MAX) for $1.50 ....I played heads up for my first week or so to give me an idea what was going on but have settled in to these tourneys. I am up about $100 at this point, but over the last 2 weeks I've been kinda struggling with the same questions.
      Q#1 - I'm curious what other players do when you are the player directly beside the small blind and everyone has folded and it is now your play and you are strong with AKs, AKo, AA, KK, QQ....or if you are kinda mid level with KJo, K10o etc....I have been just calling with AA and KK but raising with pretty much everything else
      Q#2 - everyone has folded and you are the small blind and you are mid to garbage like Q7o, 78o....say I call Q7o and the flop comes up K,8,7 .....if you check, the other guy will just bet and yadda yadda yadda.....and is it a bad play to just call and then if they dude raises to just fold? What happens is I call, the BB raises....so I call again...the flop comes up and unless I flop the nuts, I've just made a quick donation next door to what could have been absolutely nothing
      Q#3 - Maybe because it's on these micro tables but raising doesn't seem to stop anyone from playing. I was just AKs and raised pre flop. I was beat promptly by K8. So if I'm not stopping shrapnel from playing and I'm not making that much more money, should I give away my position?
      Q#4 - It seems almost every player is playing things because they are suited to try and get a flush. Again I was the position before the small blind and there were no takers. I raised with KJ. BB folded and SB called. After the turn he was all in so we flipped over. It was KJo versus 2,3clubs. He eventually won with a flush. There is no way he would have played that hand if it was 2,3o and yet, his odds pre-flop are only increased a few percent being suited as opposed to unsuited...I think it was 68 to 32 versus 64 -36
      Q#5 - Ax ....this just never seems to be profitable for me. I don't care if it's A 9, I seem to lose money. All of the websites say A2,3,4,5 arent that bad because you can get the straight. Bullshit. How often does that happen? And in FL the payoff just isn't good enough. They are kinda like low pairs to me. They just seem to lose me money over the long run because when they hit it isn't for tons.

I am mainly interested in people's thought processes. I played a sport professionally that has a significant strategy component so I find it very interesting. Thanks!
  • 4 replies
    • Kokuruz
      Kokuruz
      Bronze
      So my thinking here is:

Q1: Raise all of these hands, vs a very LAG(loose aggresive) type opponent you can go all in with them np well it all depends based on opponents stats, or if you don't have a HUD atleast try to pay as much attention to how many hands your opponents are calling/raising/3betting preflop.
      In general vs a very tight player(NIT) only go all in with AA, KK and with hands like 88-QQ just call, vs a bit looser opponent you can 4bet even AKo and vs LAGs just do what I mentioned above.

Q2: Here you should pay attention to how much are your opponents foldin to a raise when they are in the blind, i.e.: if your opponents almost always folds when facing a raise when he is in the blinds you can profitably raise him even with 72o but don't overplay your hand, and the other way around for players who have to play everytime that they are in the blinds, just fold the trash and play with them when you have something.

Q3: Can't really comment that because I don't know if you guys went all in preflop or did you lose at showdown and how the hand was played.

Q4: Well if your opponents are gambling with flush draws you should be happy because as you see at the percentages you will win 2 out of 3 times. Just because you have 68% chance of winning it doesn't mean you should win 100% of the time just because you have twice the chance than your opponent has. In general focus on the long run and don't let the bad beats get you to tilt and lose to much money.

Q5: Playing Ax hands on 6max tables depends on the position and your opponents tendencies. In general it's hard for me to explain you the A2-A5 hands because there is just so many ways that a hand can roll out.
      I.E.: If an opponent raises from MP2 and MP3 calls I would only play A2s+,ATo+, again it depends on what type of player you are.
      I.E.2: If an opponent raises from the BU you could actually 3bet bluff him with something like A2-A5, but thats advanced stuff.
      In general Ax hands are quite strong on 6max tables.

And besides all of that you are up 100$ after 2 months, you have to be doing something, because no bad player runs good for 2 straight months.
    • versaith
      versaith
      Basic
      Thanks very much!! It's a little skewed because I've played the $5.50 entry four times and cashed twice. The twice I cashed I got really lucky and kind just hung on for dear life against better players. There were also a number of final tables early on where I was trying to finish third and not even attempting to win. The better players are becoming more and more obvious to me and I find it intriguing hearing why some of the better players do what they do.
    • Kokuruz
      Kokuruz
      Bronze
      With your knowledge right now I think its best if you don't do the $5.50 buy ins yet even if your bankroll allows you to do them.
    • versaith
      versaith
      Basic
      Ya, you're right....thanks. I really do get that "out of my league" feeling when it gets to the top 15 or so.

Thanks again!