Down swings

• MickyCee93
      MickyCee93
      Basic
      What strategies do you guys do to overcome your down swings?

Seriously I have been hit hard over the last few days. Losing about 16-20 stacks with a lot of bad beats.

I seem to always have the 2nd from the nuts with my opponent having the nuts or getting sucked out in a bad beat somehow. Its a sick feeling..

Advice?
  • 11 replies
    • joey1toe
      joey1toe
      Bronze
      Wow sorry to hear that, if I were you I would review my hands and put them up for review on the forum, my biggest downswing so far is at 8 stacks and half of them were just spews because I was on tilt :s_mad: ... just keep a cool head and respect BRM and use a stop loss as well, i.e. I use the -2BI stop loss, which means that when I go under 2 buy ins I stop playing and either review my hands or just take a break because I'm on tilt...
    • MickyCee93
      MickyCee93
      Basic
      Originally posted by joey1toe
      Wow sorry to hear that, if I were you I would review my hands and put them up for review on the forum, my biggest downswing so far is at 8 stacks and half of them were just spews because I was on tilt :s_mad: ... just keep a cool head and respect BRM and use a stop loss as well, i.e. I use the -2BI stop loss, which means that when I go under 2 buy ins I stop playing and either review my hands or just take a break because I'm on tilt...
      ok thank you. Will do that. Is the stop loss a program? or...
    • joey1toe
      joey1toe
      Bronze
      I think there's a stop loss feature in tilt breaker in HM2 but I don't use it I'm just self aware at the tables, when I go under 2 buy ins I stop playing, actually I would recommend stop playing whenever you feel tilty or just not in the mood to keep playing, saves you money, trust me. :s_cool:

Also when at the tables you should have as little distractions as possible: no distractions! phone, girlfriend, parents, brothers, friends, tv, radio, etc... it's just you and the poker tables +EV :s_love:
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      There are 5 advises i can give you

1- Move down
      2- Study
      3- Study more
      4- Still study
      5- Study study study

You will be surprised that even though you think you may be making the right decisions you will still come up with quite a few leaks in your game

Leaks keep coming in our game and we are really never aware of them until we hit some road block and rework on our game

I am not saying your game is bad but rather you can always improve and downswings are probably the best times to improve

Good luck keep us updated
    • MickyCee93
      MickyCee93
      Basic
      Originally posted by abhi147
      There are 5 advises i can give you

1- Move down
      2- Study
      3- Study more
      4- Still study
      5- Study study study

You will be surprised that even though you think you may be making the right decisions you will still come up with quite a few leaks in your game

Leaks keep coming in our game and we are really never aware of them until we hit some road block and rework on our game

I am not saying your game is bad but rather you can always improve and downswings are probably the best times to improve

Good luck keep us updated
      Yeah I'm going to take a bit of a break and study a bit more. Hence why I joined the forum :D

Definitely have a few weaknesses in my game. Just got to work out what they are. I think a hold onto my Aces and Kings a bit to much post flop when my opponent is showing strength.
    • MickyCee93
      MickyCee93
      Basic
      This is how I have been making most of my lossesKnown Players:
      MP2: $2.37 - 119 bb
      MP3: $1.87 - 94 bb
      CO: $2.58 - 129 bb
      BU: $2.17 - 109 bb
      SB: $6.21 - 311 bb
      BB: $4.66 - 233 bb

0.01/0.02 No Limit Hold'em (6 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 2.1.10728.5

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:heart: , A:spade:
      Hero posts small blind ($0.01), BB posts big blind ($0.02), MP2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises for $0.09, BB folds, MP3 calls

Flop: ($0.22 - 11 bb) T:heart: , 8:heart: , 2:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $0.14, MP3 raises for $0.63, Hero 3-bets $5.97 and is all in, MP3 calls and is all in, Hero gets uncalled back ($4.34)

Turn: ($3.76 - 188 bb) 6:club: (2 Players)

River: ($3.76 - 188 bb) 4:club: (2 Players)

Do I fold after he re-raises?

He had 2 pair in the end
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      First mistake i think is raising to 4.5x cuz u have AA
      do you raise same size with all ur other hands? like say if you have JT or KQ or AT ?

Post flop is fine not much to do UL he got 2P but he prolly goes broke with any Tx so wp

The only way to beat these bad beats and bad variance is putting in volume
    • MickyCee93
      MickyCee93
      Basic
      Originally posted by abhi147
      First mistake i think is raising to 4.5x cuz u have AA
      do you raise same size with all ur other hands? like say if you have JT or KQ or AT ?

Post flop is fine not much to do UL he got 2P but he prolly goes broke with any Tx so wp

The only way to beat these bad beats and bad variance is putting in volume
      Yeah he Limped in so I usually raise about 4x when someone limps in before me.
    • Superbrain
      Superbrain
      Basic
      High pp is a tricky hand to play post-flop, quick advice is to proceed with caution and have the ability to lay it down if your analysis leads you to believe that you are behind as the hand progresses.
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      ah didnt see the limp
      I guess its played fine then
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by MickyCee93
      What strategies do you guys do to overcome your down swings?

Seriously I have been hit hard over the last few days. Losing about 16-20 stacks with a lot of bad beats.

I seem to always have the 2nd from the nuts with my opponent having the nuts or getting sucked out in a bad beat somehow. Its a sick feeling..

Advice?
      I was whining in my blog about losing a bunch, and TheMarxBros3 made this reply.
      Mind Games

Riding on 2nd best is an easy trap to fall into -- especially if we do things like call down w/ 2nd pair and win. They're called bluffcatchers for a reason -- they're meant to test bluffs, not to challenge good hands.

Human beings have brains that are wired to repeat successful actions. You must train yourself to think in terms of situations: Ranges, player tendencies, hole cards, board texture, stack sizes etc. The same action in one situation is death in another.

Since following his advice, I've dropped my VPIP/PFR from around 26/20 to around 23/19 but it has made a HUGE difference in my win rate. Mind you I could just be on a heater -- it is hard to tell sometimes.

So tighten up, see what happens.

Now for my contribution:
      Select 5 or 10 of your "bad beats" -- hands where you lost with 2nd best (not really a bad beat) or lost because you were ahead but got beaten on the river.

How many of those could you have possibly won by being more aggressive on the flop or turn?

I find that most of my losing sessions involve being far too passive post-flop.

This is a two-edged sword, though -- if you get TOO aggressive, you end up losing big pots.

Best suggestion:
      Pick a couple of those hands and post them for evaluation in the hand evaluation forum.

Best of luck,
      --VS