half my br gone

• excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      ok i have lost half my bankroll in 2 days. i am now back to $52 after a horrendous run. part bad play part pure shit luck. tonight i have lost $20 so far on stuff like AQs losing to TT after flop going AT5 and turn being A again. i am completely despondent.

main reason is because last night i went in as a chip leader to the final table of a $3+0.30 rebuy, top 5 paid and i went out 6th after seeing ak and KQs defeated.

this has affected me massively as i was going to be at $150 and found myself at 60. why why why why. i was chip leader and i went out 6th. fucking ridiculous. what the hell was i thinking. it is quite possibly the most pain i have experienced in poker in my life.

i think i may very well lose everything now. sss doesnt work, tournament strategy doesnt work and i am also an idiot.

sss is fundamentally flawed people with poker tracker know what you are like and fold at every single raise. if you raise less than the recommended then you invite all sorts of tv poker fans who want to play like negranau and you end up sucking out. what am i supposed to do now that i am back on $50 after weeks of working my way up..
  • 49 replies
    • VicoII
      VicoII
      Bronze
      type "poker+psychology" in google and read it all.
      i'm serious.
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      can i tell you something?
      if you know you are playing bad, THEN DONT PLAY FOOL!
      no offense, tilt happens; but you must be hard minded and go through it; dont surrender...

so you were bubbled huh? get used to it, happens all the time... THATS POKER
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by excelgeo

i think i may very well lose everything now. sss doesnt work, tournament strategy doesnt work and i am also an idiot.

sss is fundamentally flawed..
      So who do we believe, those who are using SSS and making money, or the self proclaimed idiot?
      Personally I will believe my own subjective reality as I can plainly see the strategies working for me.... and I look through the various blogs and see the strategies working for others... and I see you posting hands... no wait, thats hand. As in one. Get real, suck-outs (bad luck) happens, bad play is costing you money. Your boat is leaking and you are bleeding your bankroll into the chum pool. Best get your head on straight if you want to be a poker pro.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      main reason is because last night i went in as a chip leader to the final table of a $3+0.30 rebuy, top 5 paid and i went out 6th after seeing ak and KQs defeated.

this has affected me massively as i was going to be at $150 and found myself at 60. why why why why. i was chip leader and i went out 6th. fucking ridiculous. what the hell was i thinking. it is quite possibly the most pain i have experienced in poker in my life.

You came 6th in a $3 buy-in after being chip leader? And you feel bad? Imagine what guys feel when that happens at the WSOP Main Event on TV!

It happens to everyone, not just you. If you can overcome/control your tilt then you will succeed in poker.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      I had a similar expierience, final table at a $10 dolar 45 man sit&go if I win i recover my loses and I'm 2nd in chips I get JJ , call a raise from the BS , flop comes 245 rainbow, the guy goes all in I call He shows 66 , turn 6.

What happened next is the same story we all know : "i'm playing good, but stars is rigged" , "I can't win these stakes because they play too bad" and all sorts of crap until I recovered the patience and eventually my bankroll

my advise:

- Poker is all about patience, suckouts happen (KQ vs AK will suck out 3 out of 7 times) The "rigged hand" were my jacks lost was a 76-24 , but that can't get you out of your game.

- Tournament poker is kind of hard if you start thinking too much on the money, tilt will come if you start thinking "if my aces hold i would have won those 2k, how could he call with KJ!!!!!" , and tilting because of 1 hand is dangerous , and when poker starts being painfull the game sucks.

- Read the articles, go to the coachings, post hands, SSS works, it's swingy as hell, but it works,
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello excelgeo,

One of the most important aspects of playing good poker is the psychological aspect. Having a good mental approach to poker is often much more important than knowing about odds/outs/etc.

I will therefore link you to this article: Professional Attitude since it is an important foundation, and our series on tilt:

Tilt: Introduction
      Tilt: Bad Beats and Variance
      Tilt: Scared Money
      Tilt: Excessive Play
      Tilt: Of Fish and Shark

since they help you in a lot of more aspects than just controlling tilt. Poker in this early phase should not be about money - but improving. Like it or not you are currently at the bottom of a long staircase representing learning. Don't get too caught up in the money aspect while you are still in the shoes of a beginner.

There is so much material here which can help you improve. Take/Read/Watch/absorb it. The money will follow in suit.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD

I will therefore link you to this article: Professional Attitude since it is an important foundation, and our series on tilt:

SoyCD
      I don't like this article because it';s states the following :"If you want to start playing poker profitably, then you should be aware of the following statement:

"There is no downswing in poker - only poorly played hands""

It's so wrong actually, there are downswings in the poker and it can be easily proves statistically. I understand there must be encouragment for improving but you can't neglect the fact of variance in poker, it would be lie.

Or you can just analyze some pros' play, find really few mistakes in many hands but see them loosing 10 buy-ins in a row.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Solomaextra

SoyCD
      I don't like this article because it';s states the following :"If you want to start playing poker profitably, then you should be aware of the following statement:

It's so wrong actually, there are downswings in the poker and it can be easily proves statistically. I understand there must be encouragment for improving but you can't neglect the fact of variance in poker, it would be lie.

Or you can just analyze some pros' play, find really few mistakes in many hands but see them loosing 10 buy-ins in a row.

Nah actually the author is right... too many players say its a downswing although its poor play. You should always place the fault of your overall loss of a session to yourself, never say its a downswing. You won't improve your game if you just stick with that statement.

Also a lot of those statistical losses can be avoided by pressing the fold button when the signs are obvious.
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar

SoyCD

Nah actually the author is right... too many players say its a downswing although its poor play. You should always place the fault of your overall loss of a session to yourself, never say its a downswing. You won't improve your game if you just stick with that statement.

Also a lot of those statistical losses can be avoided by pressing the fold button when the signs are obvious.
      Your post just indicated you don't have any clue what statistics is. Also, I am not talking about wether it's ok or not to blame the downswing but what I am trying to say is that downswings exist and it's a mathematical fact.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze

SoyCD

Sure the statement goes over the top by stating there are no downswings at all (because there surely are) but for most players - especially those starting out with poker - these "downswings" are either #1 variance or #2 bad play. (in regards to your example - 10 buyins is still what I would consider plain old variance).

A lot of players like to fall into the "downswing excuse" since its so easy. In turn the expression is the most over-used and wrongly used term in Poker. "Oh I hit a downswing yesterday and lost 5 stacks" is something so commonly heard and simply takes away responsibility of the player and puts it off to "statistics". A similar note about putting responsibility to others is addressed in the "Of Sharks and Fish" article.

This kind of attitude doesn't lead you to be improve your own game, since its "just a downswing". It leads you to ignore your own responsibility towards causing the downswing. Therefore the article puts it very extreme and says "There are no downswings - winning and losing at poker is based on your skills" and over the long-run this is correct - since there are no "lifelong downswings".

I think especially for beginners, the article gives very important insight into the kind of attitude that is needed, which is why I like to recommend it.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      this game can pick you up and shoot you down so easily..

update

before my massive downswing i had $110.

then i dropped at 28.

i just finished a $5 tournament, 484 players. came 8th and got knocked out after i went all in with KK, AQ called and an A hit the flop...

won $60 but i am still unhappy at the result. i could have won more than $100.

but still, on the up again that is something to take away isnt it?
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      2SoyCD, you are absolutely right, by the way, that new psychological article is amazing!
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar

SoyCD

Your post just indicated you don't have any clue what statistics is. Also, I am not talking about wether it's ok or not to blame the downswing but what I am trying to say is that downswings exist and it's a mathematical fact.
      Of course I know what statistics are... I was just trying to what Soy said. As you can see I said "overall losses" not "one loss". Players tend to forget all the bad play they did during a session when they lose their BI after villain hits a one outer or so.

Downswing is the most common used excuse for just about anything...
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze

update

then i dropped at 28.

i just finished a $5 tournament, 484 players. came 8th and got knocked out after i went all in with KK, AQ called and an A hit the flop...

It is so obvious by this comment why you are losing your bankroll so fast... It is not a downswing; you are playing out of your range! Why in the world would you play a $5 MTT with a $110 BR (or a $28 BR)? Of course, the prize is bigger, but the odds of winning a 500 player tourney are much smaller than a sng.

I suggest you to strictly stick with the bankroll management articles. If you want to take a shot at a MTT, play one with a smaller buy-in.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      This sentence is worth a million :)

I currently am expiriencing "Poor played hands" -downswing of about 21BI.
      Actually i was thinking the same thing yesterday before i've read this thread. I am trying to find a reason why was i progressing so nice and quick a week ago at NL25, but now i've lost so much in a short time. I tried to review the way i played when i did good and the way i played when i did bad. I've found out that after loosing 2-4BI my agressiveness turned from 7-8 to 2. Plus that i was calling way too many hands, ppl were stealing my blinds and raise/stealing me way too often. I know i played bad and i can't blame anyone else but myself for a loss of money, because i found out the reason for it.

I rather switched to NL10 where i feel totally comfortable with 160BI and thus i can play my A game most of the time. If i'd continue to play at NL25 i am sure i'd loose my BR soon.

I think everyone should review his play after a "Poor played hands" - downswing
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      Originally posted by AquamanBT

update

then i dropped at 28.

It is so obvious by this comment why you are losing your bankroll so fast... It is not a downswing; you are playing out of your range! Why in the world would you play a $5 MTT with a $110 BR (or a $28 BR)? Of course, the prize is bigger, but the odds of winning a 500 player tourney are much smaller than a sng.

I suggest you to strictly stick with the bankroll management articles. If you want to take a shot at a MTT, play one with a smaller buy-in.
      interestingly enough i am at $168 now, i didnt exactly follow bankroll management as to which limits i should stick to, but playing the limits that i am playing now it somehow works better for me.

I think br management is good and all but if you dont appreciate the limits and therefore dont play as you should then a change in limits could be considered?

i moved from .05/0.1 to 0.1/0.25 and i am enjoying it even more and it is more profitable.

to think where i was 5 days ago.. :D
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      you're probably on an upswing, what will you do if you lose 2 buyins? You'll desperate and play with scared money that's how you'll be.

And is it because of that you posted a hand where you had 40BBs?

You have to read the articles and review your whole strategy. you'll just go broke this way
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      please stick to brm under every circunstance, even a more conservative one if you don't want to move down.
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      but as it is now i am within br management.

$190 and i am playing 0.10/0.25