Borderline hands for Homegame

• SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      Hey guys
      Me and my friends do a daily/every once in a while "Home"-game SNG with 2 euros buy-in at a local cafe. The prize pool is usually around 10-16 euros.
      Usually the second place gets his buy-in back and the first place gets the whole cake but with more than 6 people usually the 2nd place gets two buy-ins back and the third doesn't pay.
      Anyways those guys gave me a headache for a while until I decided to change my gameplan - that's what I need your help with!

What I keep facing on this table are unreasonable raises at some times, huge bluffs especially when shortstacked and being dominated when you least expect it.

That's mainly because those guys mix good moves (betting the right amount when you have to, deceptive play with monsters, a good number of bluffs, folding early with their weak hands) with weak play (crazy bluffs that'd pay off the guy with the nuts, paying enormous amounts of chips for a miraculous draw, not betting when they'd have to, too many bluffs as mentioned but let's say it again, entering the pot with weak hands every so often)

So I tried TAG and it really gave me the edge to rule the table once or twice but in general people are more alert and the board structure is not always in your favour (got AKs but a different colour's on the board, straight possibilities etc.)
      It's hard to make someone fold when they are really believing in their draws for example which makes betting a hard thing to do.

The thing is not beating one or two guys but beating this particular game which would mean good money for a guy like me.

Picture this: You got A :heart: K :heart: and your raised preflop. 3 guys call. Now the board comes as follows: K :diamond: T :diamond: J :heart:
      You're on the button and there's a bet about a third of the pot. You raise and the next card is a J :diamond:
      Those guys will bluffbet the hell out of your neves. And you never know when they got it.
      At other times you will have a clear advantage but they will fold too easily.
      Say you got the same hand/board as before and you want to protect your hand against someone who could be drawing to a flush. You bet like half the pot and they fold instantly, showing all they had was trash and if you'd have let them in their hand just one more street they might have found more interest in playing their 2nd best hand against you (but you never know).

So I decided to loosen up a bit and widen my ranger.... which still didn't get me where I wanted since I didn't do it in the right way.
      See the point is you have to be more often in the pot so that you can catch one of these moments when you'll get payed off real good. That's why I started creating a new range.

Today I want to show you my borderline range with hands that I'll play everytime I'm in the latter positions (LP+/CO/BTN) and only when there's no aggressive player acting after me in the blinds/CO/BTN position.

Here's the range, I'm very open minded about your ideas and your suggestions for improvement/critic.

Thanks a lot for reading this, I hope we can work it somehow
  • 7 replies
    • jonnyZ
      jonnyZ
      Bronze
      interesting! I also play in a home game like once a month with players that are capable of doing very (imo) strange plays, making it really hard to read them. When I started playing with these guys I got, like you, a big head eache. However after playing a couple of evnings with them I started to figure more and more how eache player where thinking. Even though they might be very irational they still have a clear pattern and clear tells. So I am really varying my style and range alot depending on the players on my left or the ones in the hand. Are you playing with the same players all the time?

I Think you can expand that range to include lower suited connectors and lower suit one gappers. Even some more 2 gaps. These hands have good playability and with your edge against these players post flop you can play pot controll or bluff with good Equity on some boards and when you hit the monsters they are likley to pay you off if they have something.

Have you tried to 3b in position with a wider range and include like suit one gappers etc? Just to iso in pos against one player instead of 3-5 ?
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      No it would be quite dangerous doing the latter because the people I'm playing against usually c-bet big so I need to hit the board to be able to go on playing
    • jonnyZ
      jonnyZ
      Bronze
      They cant cbet when you have the lead pf. Or do they just donk alot on the flop in 3betted pots ?
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      No actually they might be careful but they still bet when they have a good hand and hit the board.
      Anyways it's still something to think about, because sometimes they'll call a 3bet with hands like J8s, so I could just steal the pot on the flop when an ace hits the board. On the other hand they like shoving and even bluffshoves sometimes when the pot is big preflop.

What you did inspire me to do tho is to play some borderliners like suited gappers more aggressive preflop which completely changed my approach on how to play with those guys and THAT is awesome!
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      just play 35/27/12 and you won't go wrong.
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      35/27/12 means what?
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      VPIP, PFR, 3bet.