Private Coaching with Tackleberry

• Tackleberry
      Tackleberry
      Coach
      Coach
      Hello, dear Pokerstrategy Member,

welcome to my “Private-Coaching-Thread” and thank you very much for the interest that led you to this place! :-)

My name is Jens (just call me „Tack“ if this name is too difficult to pronounce :-)) - and being slightly beyond 40 years old I´m certainly among the elder guys here. Recently somebody even told me how nice it was that I´m still engaged in GTO-strategy ... at my age!! :D

It all began 2006 with a pokershow in TV … a time at which Poker - assumed as a pure game of chance and luck - seemed as interesting to me as the athlete's foot, when “all of a sudden” the banner advertisement of Pokerstrategy.com caught my attention. A strategy? Really? Something to learn? Something to master? Always interested in challenging experiences I immediately registered with Pokerstrategy.com, got my start-bankroll and began grinding the lowest stakes on Limit Hold´em.

Now I wish I´d be able to say that the rest was history, but that was not the case, unfortunately. I worked my way up and somewhen switched to NLHE. Still I´m not sure if starting with Limit Holdem did more good or more harm to my game. Anyways, I´ve read about three dozen books, had several coachings with different coaches and worked my way up the stakes - many times, only to get thrown back on a moreless regular basis.

2011 everything started to finally running smoothly, in 2012 I got pro - supported by a second source of income as a self-employed project manager. Another downswing, immediately after starting my pro-career, almost had destroyed everything, but the support of my spouse as well as the backing of my (by now) best poker buddy helped me keeping my head above water.

It´s round about one year now when I started shifting my strategy from the „exploitive“ approach in the direction of GTO-play, as I finally had to admit that I am not good (and never was) in clearly detecting the habits and tendencies of my opponents and adjust accordingly. Too often I just ended up wrong and made horrible plays - when I failed in outguessing my opponents. That way I never really found “my own game”. Since I stopped the “guessing game” and concentrate on my own strategy, my game almost skyrocketed.

Currently I´m playing mainly NL200 Zoom on PokerStars, sometimes NL500 Zoom and from time to time I can be found playing NL200-400 on iPoker.

Now, after this introduction, let´s come to the point and talk about the subject “coaching”:

What makes me an outstanding coach?

As described, I have long-term experience in poker, as well as profound knowledge in pokermath, GTO, stat- and database analysis and analysis-tools in general (as HM2, PT4, CardrunnersEV).

Beyond that, I have been working for over 15 years as a management trainer and coach. I have a strong feeling for how to transform knowledge in the best possible and efficient way, individually designed according to my students.
      Furthermore, as you can probably imagine after the introduction, coaching and knowledge transfer simply are topics that I´m really enjoying, especially when I see that my work bears fruit.

When should you consider hiring me as your coach?

• You´re convinced that the mathematical part of the game takes a more important role than “outplaying” your opponents.
      • You want to spot and eliminate weaknesses and leaks in your game / strategy and prevent your opponents from taking your money by exploiting those.
      • You want to learn the ideas behind GTO and / or learn how to actually implement those into your game.
      • You look for a coach who not only has profound strategic knowledge but has experience in coachings and is able to efficiently teach others.
      • Finally, you´re not afraid of your coach´s German accent. :D

In short - you want to be the one who casually puts the .44 magnum on the table and gently smiles while collecting the chips of your opponents … :)

OK, but seriously again …

What can you expect from my coachings?

First of all, I will expect something from you, namely information. I want to know where you stand, how you assess yourself in terms of poker, what stakes you play, what motivates you, what your plans for poker are and what led you to consider taking private coaching.

The method of the coaching itself will follow your personal ideas and goals. If you want to improve your game and strategy, I´ll regularly start with a video-review or - preferably - a database analysis (at least 50k hands needed). After that, in our first session, we will talk about the topics and issues that resulted from my first analysis and we will set up a plan for your coaching.

Of course we are free to simply talk about certain strategic topics if you like or analyze hands, deeply diving into optimal range construction.

In any case we will define the goals of your coaching together and create a master plan, an overview, what and how you should work on for the next period of time.
      That way you will improve your game step-by-step.

You already see that it´s in my main interest to engage in serious coachings with my students, who should be keen on working on their game. I´m likely no coach for “one night”, not, because I don´t earn enough money then, but simply because I have no fun then - and me having no fun likely will result in you getting inefficient coaching and spending your money for less than the maximum possible value.

As mentioned before, a coaching will be valuable for myself when I can see my student growing, when I recognize that our corporate work bears fruit.
      That´s the reason why I will always offer a reduced trial session to my students, to give you the chance to see if we fit together.

Obviously you´re free at any time to end our coaching (if you didn´t buy a package) if you think you´re not getting what you expected or what´s best for you.

What are your necessary qualifications to get into coaching?

You should …

• use a tracking software (HM2, PT4),
      • have solid basic knowledge of the game,
      • be seriously interested in poker and improving your game,
      • have some basic knowledge of math and serious interest in math-related topics,
      • be prepared to seriously work and bring in ideas of your own.

For the execution of our sessions you should have at least Equilab, Teamviewer and Skype at hand, ideally (but not necessarily) you´d have CardrunnersEV and Camtasia (or a similar tool) available.

Finally let´s talk about the more painful aspect of the topic, the payment. Personally I find it´s a difficult question, as, especially on the low(er) stakes, a reasonable fee stands in no good proportion to the stakes played. Unfortunately that´s something inherent to the topic, but it´s the reason I normally recommend not thinking about private coaching with me before reaching at least NL100. At the end, obviously it´s a very individual decision though …

That said, here´s the

Price List (all fees are based on 60 mins. - if not stated otherwise, valid from 2015-08-01)

Trial session: $120 (45 mins)
      1 hour: $175
      5 hours: $790 (~10% discount)*
      10 hours: $1,450 (~20% discount)*

Payment can be made via Moneybookers, PayPal, PokerStars or Full Tilt.

Package rates can only be granted when paying in advance and are (generally) not refundable.

* Please be aware: package sessions that are not requested within a regular 2-week-period can't be guaranteed shortly anymore; packages have to be used within a six months period, otherwise all unused budgets will be forfeited.

Group coachings can be offered on request.

I hope to have given you all the necessary information to decide if you could imagine hiring me as your future coach.

That said, if I caught your interest by now, please contact me by the ComTool, then I´ll immediately get back to you!

Good luck at the tables – und maybe talk to you soon!

- Tackleberry -
  • 14 replies
    • steveg12
      steveg12
      Basic
      Hi guys,

I'm having trouble writing this because it's hard for me to sum up just how great of a coach, and person Jens is without making a post so long that its unreadable. I have been playing high stakes online since 2003, with occasional shots up to 300-600 nl. Long story short when FTP went down being a US player I switched to live poker, and eventually began to notice I was really falling behind the curve. I had very little idea about gto play, and the more I read the more it confused me, until I found myself going backwards instead of forward. I was a total mess at the time mentally, and as a professional poker player with a family to support, I was willing to try anything.

So I gave the coaching thing a shot with a very well known player/coach, and came away with more unanswered questions and a bad feeling about his lack of effort in general. The next week I took a lesson with Jens. Besides having a very strong understanding of gto play, and the math necessary to answer my questions, he is also able to articulate things to me in a simple logical manner. He quickly answered questions that were literally keeping me up at night, and that other people had failed to do through countless posts and PMs.

He also puts an unbelievable amount of preparation into our sessions. Last week I had a question about a quick comment a pro had made in a video. I typed it up before hand in an email so he could glance at it before our session. Instead of just reading my email he watched the entire video. This is standard for Jens. He will generally work things out on cardrunners EV, so I don't have to just take his word in certain situations, he can show me the right answer. He is an expert with this program, and he taught me how to use it so I can help myself in a lot of spots.

If anybody is on the fence or looking for a coach, my advice would be to just try one session. Even though I have the answers to most all the questions I initially set out to understand, I am continuing because for me personally, the information I get each week is worth much more than the cost of the lessons. Although I've never met Jens in person, besides being a great coach he's also an amazing guy who really takes pride in what he does, and always goes the extra mile to make sure I understand everything.

Steve
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Hey, please add me and message me your skype.
    • himmelsdyk
      himmelsdyk
      Basic
      Hi, very interested in buying the 10h package but have some questions, please email me, [Edited by NutzAreOk]

Posting personal contact information is against our forum principles. All contact between members must be made using community tool.

Regards
      NutzAreOk
    • himmelsdyk
      himmelsdyk
      Basic
      I sent you a message a week ago, just checking in to see if you got it.
    • Tackleberry
      Tackleberry
      Coach
      Coach
      Meh, that´s so weird, I literally wrote you a wall of text one week ago - but it´s gone. :(

Just replied once again ... and saved it locally - just to be sure. :D
    • himmelsdyk
      himmelsdyk
      Basic
      I bought 5 hours from Jens where he used the first to do a database review of my last 50K hands. He then made 4 lessons about my biggest leaks. I was very impressed with how much work he had put in before our first session, it was obvious it was way more then the one hour he charged for it.

He is always on time and well prepared for our sessions and very generous with his time.

He is very passionate about the game and wants to give you as much info as possible so he talks fast but is very good at expressing his thoughts in English even tough it is his second language.

I have been very happy with the coaching so far and have just bought an other package and is looking forward to working on my game for many more hours with Jens.
    • Tackleberry
      Tackleberry
      Coach
      Coach
      Wow, thank you very much for the nice words! Very appreciated!!

And it´s such a great pleasure to work with you ... I´m looking forward to our upcoming sessions! Thanks again.
    • 4s4s4s
      4s4s4s
      Bronze
      By others your rate is very high. But I think it's worth it.
    • lanceryosuke
      lanceryosuke
      Basic
      Jens is by far the most patient poker coach i ever dealt with. Most the coaches around are either very impatient because they expect you to know certain stuff when you don't but Jens always make sure i know the logic of a certain concept before he moves on. He responds to skype alot whenever i have doubts or questions about my lessons and he never fails to put things across so i can remember it by hard. He explains concepts in a very articulate way and its relatively easy to follow even for a player like that in horrible in maths. You dont need to worry even you have no clue about GTO because he is an expert in these and his framework could definitely shape your game heading in the right direction. Thank you coach for providing me such good inputs and bringing my passion to the game
    • Tackleberry
      Tackleberry
      Coach
      Coach
      Here is another review from one of my coachees, who asked me to publish it in his name, because he wants to stay anonymous:

I have been playing midstakes professionally for 7 years (limit > husngs > mtts > 6max nl, and now I mostly play sngs), with poor work ethics and game selection.

My approach has always been quite theoretical, but messy and (too?) creative. I try new stuff at the tables all the time.

I hired Tackleberry as a weekly sanity check for 10 sessions.

We mostly did hand reviews of formats he wasn't hugely familiar with: NL shorthanded with a wide range of stack sizes and a bit of husngs.

I would explain my thought process on range construction on most spots with the HHs I had marked in between our sessions.

From reviewing these hand histories, spots I was regularly puzzled in emerged, and Jens would confront the ideas I brought up (some of them really fancy/terrible) for my range construction.

Most of the time, he was able to show me how my strategy was flawed and exploitable (e.g., if you do that, then your checking range sucks and you're not respecting his equity advantage on such or such board) and he'd usually be able to come up himself with what could be a decent strat. The few times in which he wasn't able to do that, he looked up the spots in range building tools.

So basically what I got from our sessions was a deeper understanding of the big picture. I am grateful for that.
      Also, the fact that I knew I was going to be able to speak about spots I had been putting down made me more focused during my sessions.

On the minus side, I would have hoped that Jens got me a bit more into the nitty-gritty of range building tools, but I guess it's hard to change ingrained (bad?) habits and what we've done has for sure helped my game. And my results have been better. (In before lol samplesize etc).

Oh and did I mention that Tackleberry is organized, professional and agreeable? Three qualities most poker players lack in my opinion. He's quite funny too btw.

We're also both non-native English speakers, yet communication was smooth.

To put it in a nutshell, Tackleberry is a very adaptable, nice guy with deep understanding of poker theory.

You should hire him too.
    • Anchiz
      Anchiz
      Bronze
      what?
    • Tackleberry
      Tackleberry
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Anchiz
      what?
      Thank you very much for spending your very first post to bump my thread. :) If there's anything I can help you with, let me know.
    • 4s4s4s
      4s4s4s
      Bronze
      After I got my br and money to pay you I will write to you.
    • Tackleberry
      Tackleberry
      Coach
      Coach
      You are always welcome!