How to play against diffrent opponents?

• timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I have problem.

Now as I have been playing with some opponents I noticed that I really don't know how to play against them

Problem is with agressive and passive opponents.

Agressive villains wil re-raise me often, then I 4-bet and make a cbet and ofc they can't lay down a hand so they push. Should I passive like hell?

With passive villains it's worse. I raise 3 hands str8 they fold until decide to call I cbet they call we check it to river and he shows 2 pair and over all I'm -$.

What lines should I take against them?
  • 8 replies
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      their is no specific line you can take because heads up is very player dependent and dynamics and game flow matter a lot .
      as a rull of thumb you should cbet against anyone until you have a reason not to do so .
      against a passive one when you realise he has started to call cbets light cbet less as a bluff and start cbeting for value . also in some spots where you feel his weak you can go for some 2nd barrels if he isnt a station

against aggressive opponents that call 4 bets light you should 4 bet just for value and dont cbet if you dont hit the flop because you invest too much money .
      dont 4 bet all your 2 face card hands , call more 3bets in position to hit top pair and let them donk their stack to you if their are bad aggressive players
      if they are good aggressive players just quit them ( but good players dont usualy call 4bets)

dont feel sory by the money you lose with a cbet . this makes you result orientated and you wont be able to take the corect decisions because thinking about the money will alter your game and you will take lines that you wouldnt take normaly ( checking behind when you should bet , check / calling when you should check/ raise ... etc
      once you start thinking about the money involved and you start veryfying the cachier after every action it is better to quit because you will just burn money if you continue
      gl
    • Ami2
      Ami2
      Bronze
      got the same problem, more with the calling stations
      met a guy yesterday he took 60$ from me (10nl, from my total 240 bankroll) just by calling 75% from the BB, then at first donking 50-70% flops, and in general just by taking weird lines, turning passive after an hour or so
      I then switched to about 35%-40% pfr from the sb, and it pretty much crushed him, unfortunately he decided to call it a quit after I recovered about 15$ from him.
      So yeah, in my opinion just tighten up to at least 50%, and bet for value against stations.
      Against maniacs, same pf range, but try miniraising pf, and raising small post flop and crap like that, to try inducing them to raise/shove v light, they tend to do this most of the time.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Ok I met one pretty tough opponent today and would like to know your ideas how to play against him.

He was playing 48/64 style, he was min betting from SB (rarely never 4-bets), he slowplayed monsters, when he had a hand he wouldn't lead out OOP, he made tricky plays and I lost 2 stacks to him. The guy is pretty solid and on showdown I usually got beaten.

What range should I call his minbets (getting 3:1 odds)? The problem was that thanks to him being in position he could always out play me.

Ofc he is capable of 2 barreling (or even 3 barreling I'm not sure).

Any ideas?
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      1) especially in hu, there are no general strategies. every match is new and u have to adapt to your opponent always one step faster than he adapts to your play. i could write books to all your questions, its just not possible to answer your questions in short. in every situation you have to think about how to counter attack his strategy. when somebody is minraising bu, u can and should call many hands oop and c/r many flops and turns with a wide range. try to identify how often an what flops he checks back and what boards he always cbet/fold. or u can donk out 3 streets hard without a polarised range which will give him a hard time even ip.
      the most important thing is to be creative, balance your lines and ranges and always keep concentrated and adapt immediately once your opponent saw a funky hand at showdown etc.

2) every hu player who wants to crush midstakes is good adivsed to get a dc account and check out the hu series there (especially prynniraiding I & II)
    • Ami2
      Ami2
      Bronze
      Originally posted by timukasr
      Ok I met one pretty tough opponent today and would like to know your ideas how to play against him.

He was playing 48/64 style, he was min betting from SB (rarely never 4-bets), he slowplayed monsters, when he had a hand he wouldn't lead out OOP, he made tricky plays and I lost 2 stacks to him. The guy is pretty solid and on showdown I usually got beaten.

What range should I call his minbets (getting 3:1 odds)? The problem was that thanks to him being in position he could always out play me.

Ofc he is capable of 2 barreling (or even 3 barreling I'm not sure).

Any ideas?
      Id start calling any aces, suited kings, some offsuit kings too k7o+, offsuit queens q8o+, suited queens q7s+, jacks suited j7s+, connectors 75o+, T6s+, 67o+ stuff like that, depending on his post flop style too. Just take advantage of the cheap price / flop
      3bet your normal range, maybe just a bit wider, but just a bit

I hope it helps
    • Ami2
      Ami2
      Bronze
      PS: that calling ranges are for a loose minraiser (80%+ steal or so)
      But I think they can be used againt any minraiser, adapting just by playing tighter postflop I think.
    • Balanarm
      Balanarm
      Bronze
      I started playing HU some weeks ago(I am NLSH player) and I am doing very good, I watched many HU videos before that tho, like 20, and read articles, attended every HU coaching on PS.

What I noticed is HU is more complicated than SH, because f.e. triple barrels are very profitable for me so far(selective of course, vs certain opponents). Vs calling stations it's just bet-bet-bet(or raise) for value and no bluffs, because they become around 0 EV and it's very swingy.

Mix everything vs good opponents and play straightfoward vs calling stations.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Mix everything vs good opponents and play straightfoward vs calling stations.

you don't have to play against good opponents on low/mid stakes at all)
      just search for loose/passives and shove some tight value poker) more then enough to be a descent winner at these stakes)