PokerStrategy.com Bootcamp - Create your game plan with w34z3l! (Equilab ranges now ITT!)

• 25 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      First podcast is now available:
      Approach to Gameplan
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Guys,

Thanks for attending the 2nd session of the bootcamp live coaching this evening! For those of you who weren't able to join us, here is a link to the podcast:
      Preflop Gameplan

So firstly homework....

As we discussed in the session, many players have a gameplan for the standard situations preflop. (If you don't instructions how to import mine are below). So I'd like for you take a les common situation for example squeezing ranges or overcalling ranges or iso-ing ranges.

You don't need to do these ranges for every position and from every position (although you can if you want to). Instead just create a fictional scenario and decide what your squeezing or overcalling (or whatever else) range might be. Feel free to specify certain details such as your opponents stats or his bet-sizing also.

The next session will be on monday at the same time (8.15pm UK time) so I look forward to seeing you guys then.

Ok, now for the equilab ranges.....

Firstly you will need to download the PreflopUserdefined.ini file from my msn skydrive here http://sdrv.ms/15HzpdY

(The link is perfectly safe it's just the msn onedrive linked with my email account)

Second you will need to make sure you can access hidden folders on your computer

#1. Open any folder
      #2. Top left click Organize -> Folder and Search Options
      #3. Go to View-tab
      #4. Find somewhere in the middle -> Show hidden files and folders.

Once you have done this take the downloaded file and import it into this location ----->

C: \ Users \ [YourUsername] \ AppData \ Local \ Equilab \ >import into here<

Next time you fire up equilab the ranges should be visible under user defined ranges. They will be under the dropdown box w34z3l's walkthrough. The GTO ranges are based on game theory calcs and may also be of interest but they are not the recommended ranges for nl25/nl50.

Enjoy!
    • Arboraeer
      Arboraeer
      Platinum
      nice coaching!
      But i cant find the ranges in my equilab even tough i followed the instructions :f_frown:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Arboraeer
      nice coaching!
      But i cant find the ranges in my equilab even tough i followed the instructions :f_frown:
      Hmmm...
      What operating system do you have?

What DOES show under user-defined ranges?

Let us know the answers and it may be possible to get it working for you.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • halcyoon
      halcyoon
      Bronze
      Hey w34z3l,

Great coaching and videos, keep up the good work! Equilab ranges work just fine, had no problems.

Cheers!
    • NJboy
      NJboy
      Bronze
      I've got a fishy question about the GTO ranges. Thanks for sharing btw :) Worked all fine.
      Why is 3bet range from SB slightly lighter than from BB?
      And why 22 is played and 33 isn't?
    • vandeuren
      vandeuren
      Bronze
      still have to study these openranges, but i guess when ur in sb, u still have to worry about bb, when u are bb u r HU

curious about the 22 / 33 thing, can't come up with reason for that
    • NJboy
      NJboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vandeuren
      still have to study these openranges, but i guess when ur in sb, u still have to worry about bb, when u are bb u r HU

curious about the 22 / 33 thing, can't come up with reason for that
      Yeah that's exactly why I asked the sb and bb thing. Cause it makes no sense to me to 3bet lighter from SB than from BB when you face more than one opponent.
    • vandeuren
      vandeuren
      Bronze
      just guessing here, but maybe we want to flat more hands in BB than in SB, because if we flat in sb, we risk a squeeze from BB.
      Our strong hands we don't flat in sb perhaps go in our 3bet-range instead
      but to be honest, this makes me want to review the vid on opening ranges, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned there somewhere
    • Arboraeer
      Arboraeer
      Platinum
      it works now ty!
    • vandeuren
      vandeuren
      Bronze
      it's in start video defending from the blinds, from the walkthrough series:
      -sb you don't want to flat that many hands, because you can get squeezed by BB
      -so in sb you are still defending , but do so by 3betting hands you might consider flatting in BB
      -in BB you are closing action, so you can get heads-up by just flatting
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/33934/

don't think it is mentioned here, but i guess you can expect bb not to be cold4betbluff you when 3bet from sb

22/33: been looking at 3bet, coldcall, en rfi ranges for sb and bb, can't see where you play 22 but not 33 exactly, not sure what you mean there.

@W34z3l
      Importing the ranges worked fine, only thing is I lost my own ranges I constructed (play Fr) by having to replace the old userdef file(still have my old one as backup)
      could you maybe think of another way of importing ranges in future, or does it work if you rename file or copy-past pure text in file (for me it didn't, there is some coding involved, I'm not a hacker. Anyone else had this problem?
      sorry to bother you with this technical matters
    • NJboy
      NJboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vandeuren
      it's in start video defending from the blinds, from the walkthrough series:
      -sb you don't want to flat that many hands, because you can get squeezed by BB
      -so in sb you are still defending , but do so by 3betting hands you might consider flatting in BB
      -in BB you are closing action, so you can get heads-up by just flatting
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/33934/

don't think it is mentioned here, but i guess you can expect bb not to be cold4betbluff you when 3bet from sb

22/33: been looking at 3bet, coldcall, en rfi ranges for sb and bb, can't see where you play 22 but not 33 exactly, not sure what you mean there.

@W34z3l
      Importing the ranges worked fine, only thing is I lost my own ranges I constructed (play Fr) by having to replace the old userdef file(still have my old one as backup)
      could you maybe think of another way of importing ranges in future, or does it work if you rename file or copy-past pure text in file (for me it didn't, there is some coding involved, I'm not a hacker. Anyone else had this problem?
      sorry to bother you with this technical matters
      I personally 4betbluff a lot vs SB from BB but yeah, I guess that's not the majority of the players ;)

22/33 thing I'm talking about the GTO section

I lost my own ranges too :(
      I'll mess around a bit with those files, if I find a solution I'll post it here.
    • vandeuren
      vandeuren
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NJboy
      I personally 4betbluff a lot vs SB from BB but yeah, I guess that's not the majority of the players ;)

22/33 thing I'm talking about the GTO section

I lost my own ranges too :(
      I'll mess around a bit with those files, if I find a solution I'll post it here.
      maybe you are ahead of the curve.
      I c you have only bronze status so can't watch the vid i refered 2. sorry for that. It also means you can't follow bootcamp, so

please note that:
      -it does not make much sense to play GTO at the micro's the majority of the time
      -the ranges are not absolute, you should change ranges and opensize according to villains stats, stacksize, aggro players behind, villains calling tendencies, postfloptendencies...
      especially for 3bet-range you should not just 3bet only these hands and always 3bet them
      -ranges give an indication on how much you should open vs standard opponent, this can vary dramatically, esp in late position ( because Bu and BB are nits, we open our co much wider (more like 45%) and perhaps also smaller (like 2x)

Just thought I should give you this warning, your not supposed to just copy these ranges in your game but they are guideline for your own gameplan, it helps you think about constructing your own ranges according to situation
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      There's also the case that with it being bvb, the sb could easily be stealing a huge range at micros (often nearly atc), so bluffing from the bb could be bluffing with the best hand and sb folds, which is not the result I would want. I do realize it's all situational of course.
      I'm no coach but I hope that made some sort of sense, maybe one of you super-duper types can explain it better. :)

And of course we shouldn't take the given ranges as gospel; they're a baseline starting point and we must adjust to the situation at hand as each villain/hand brings new challenges. :)

I would like ranges for deep stacked games with 250bb buy-in, since they seem to play a bit different to 100bb ones.

Regards,

Mal.
    • vandeuren
      vandeuren
      Bronze
      I agree on the previous, was mainly referring to fact that 3betsb vs bu is larger than 3betbb vs bu. ( is the way I understood NJboy's question, could be wrong here)
      guess what you are referring 2 is blind vs blind, where of course flatting from bb against sb open makes more sense than 3betting light for the ranges you give
    • spl4t
      spl4t
      Bronze
      shouldnt there be a coaching today?

e: never mind, for some reason the coaching wasnt listed anymore. but now it is again...
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Yesterday's podcast is now avaliable:
      Postflop gameplan
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Enjoy everyone!
    • SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      There was a coaching? The coaching just disappeared and I did something else. I thought it would be canceled. :f_confused: