Playing down for easy money

• billnmex
      billnmex
      Bronze
      I recently found official poker rankings and have been surprised to find how many quality players that have won 10s of thousands of dollars are playing in the micro stakes. As a relatively new player I was checking why I can manage in MTTs on poker stars to get in the final hundred but rarely past the top 25 and was surprised to discover the quality of players playing down to this level- I have no problem with anyone doing this-hey easy money-and it will make me a better player.Any advice on how to play these types when I do get one at a table. When I am sitting with one it throws me off my game.
  • 2 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by billnmex
      I recently found official poker rankings and have been surprised to find how many quality players that have won 10s of thousands of dollars are playing in the micro stakes.
      Hi, billnmex,
      It is volume x winrate x time
      If you play 10,000 hands per week, at a winrate of 5 bb/100 you win 500 bb per week.
      At NL 5 that is 25 bucks. Do that for 400 weeks and you have your $10,000

If you play more, or with a higher winrate, then you can obviously do it faster.

And I agree -- the better players survive longer. They get more value from their good hands, and seem to be able to recognize when to fold their not-so-good ones.

They also have a wider range of plays and know how to use them.

To beat them you have to join them -- study the game and practice.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      One way of not being exploited by these players is to always play push/fold versus them when the effective stack is below 15-17 big blinds instead of minraise/fold.

Another tip would be to standardize your action time so they can't get a timing read on you.

Also remember that short stacked poker is pretty straightforward and they won't make crazy, fancy plays, so there's not much reason for you to fear them that much.

And finally, DON'T bluff them.