Best way to improve overall game, living in Cal?

• Bogey13
      Bogey13
      Bronze
      Hey guys, new to the site and have few ?'s to pose to everyone out there. Im in California and cant play online for $ (uggg). Since i know alot of the strategy for playing online is a bit different than live, where should i spend the majority of my time improving my skills? Online for free seems like a waist of time, should i only spend my time at live tables since thats the game im going be playing for $ or will the online free play help my live game or hurt it. I know it may be a stupid ? Any thoughts? Any advice is welcome.....
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Bogey13
      Hey guys, new to the site and have few ?'s to pose to everyone out there. Im in California and cant play online for $ (uggg). Since i know alot of the strategy for playing online is a bit different than live, where should i spend the majority of my time improving my skills? Online for free seems like a waist of time, should i only spend my time at live tables since thats the game im going be playing for $ or will the online free play help my live game or hurt it. I know it may be a stupid ? Any thoughts? Any advice is welcome.....
      Hi, Bogey13
      Welcome to the forums!

How are your basic hand reading skills? In other words, how accurately can you put your opponent on a range?

That skill seems common to both online and live play.

There are lot of articles in the strategy section that probably apply to both.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • 99PROBLEMSS
      99PROBLEMSS
      Bronze
      Have you checked out the [Edited by VorpalF2F] network, you can play online poker there. [Edited by VorpalF2F] is one of the sites you can play at in the US.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, 99PROBLEMSS,
      I've edited your post as you can see.

One of our forum principles is that we do not discuss non-affiliated poker sites.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • Bogey13
      Bogey13
      Bronze
      My Hand reading skills are very basic. Ive learned alot from everything ive read so far. Im working my way through articles and am really enjoying the site. Putting my opp on ranges has been a challenge so far, but im looking forward to checking out some of the tools on site to improve.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Bogey13
      My Hand reading skills are very basic. Ive learned alot from everything ive read so far. Im working my way through articles and am really enjoying the site. Putting my opp on ranges has been a challenge so far, but im looking forward to checking out some of the tools on site to improve.
      Yessir, that is the one big challenge.

Part of the problem is that we tend to assume that our opponents are playing sensibly.
      I recently lost a hand where I had AK on an A25 flop, K on the Turn and I forget the rest.

Villain had open raised UTG. He held 34o and I was pretty much hooped from the start.

How do you read stuff like that?

Peace,
      --VS
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      I guess sometimes you just have to be the sucker (like in your case here)
      Doyle Brunson says that very well
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      Have some fun! Watch the old High Stakes poker shows online, then play some live poker with frieds. PS offers great articles on beginner math too.

Once you are excited, if you are o.k. with tourneys there are some free poker rooms with like WSOP or WPT, dont remeber... where you pay a monthly fee to play in tourney with real prizes.

From IT perspective I would suggest looking into ways of configuring your PC to work with DNS of states where online poker is allowed, if you want to play cash games online. Make sure its legal thing to do though....