Microstakes to a cruise around the world

• TheFireBeard
      TheFireBeard
      Bronze
      Cheers Shane! Appreciate the words of encouragement :D

12th October, 2014

This week I ran hot, again :P I just can't lose a hand!
      I'm making sure to stay humble and stay conscious of variance, no winners tilt for me, I'm still studying every day, and I put in a record amount of volume this week, I'm working hard and it's showing off.

Although I now have the bankroll to move up to the $3.50s, I won't do that, because I know I'm just getting super lucky. Instead, I'll wait until my EV line reaches the necessary 100 buyins for the $3.50s, so I've got about $50 in EV to go. That way I'll know that I earned my 100 buyins, and not rely on luck.

Graph for the week:

Goals for next week:
      - 1000 games [COMPLETE]
      - Run 7km in total [COMPLETE] (ran 7.5km)
      - watch one 6max hyper vid by Truck T every day [COMPLETE]
      - post one interesting hand in the hand-review section after every day of playing [FAILED]
      - 9 tabling (9 table for at least 30 mins every session) [COMPLETE] (10 tabling comfortably)
      Bronze
      Keep up the good work, Subbed :)
    • TheFireBeard
      TheFireBeard
      Bronze
      19 October, 2014

Quite a swingy week, but I crushed it for the last 200 games :s_biggrin:

This week:

- 1k Games! (despite working for 2 days)
      - +$40 in bonuses!
      - Cutting out all negative thoughts
      - 10 tabling!
      - played some $3.50s to get a feel for them, check out the regs and whatnot

Updated graph since I got my first coaching lesson:

Once that red line hits $200 I'm moving up. :s_cool: I'm so close! Watch out $3.50s, I'll be there within a week!

I feel I have a solid grasp on the preflop game and push/fold GTO. I can also adapt to opponents tendencies. But I still have so much to learn! Exploiting regs, defense ranges, advanced bubble dynamics, and post-flop play are firmly in my sights at the moment, as well as CONSTANTLY reviewing basic GTO ranges, basic preflop play at 25bb level, c-betting, basic board textures, etc etc. I'll NEVER stop reviewing the basics because I'm the kind of person that needs to repeat something thousands of times to get a firm grasp on it. I know there are people out there that can master something in a few hours/days, but I hope to beat them by utilizing a sickening work ethic! Next week I want to hit 12 tables and put in more hours (2hour sessions instead of 1.5hours), and ramp up my volume. I won't stop until I can 24 table comfortably.

Thanks for reading and run good everyone! :s_love:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Bossing :s_evil:
      Bronze
      Nice one mate, move up imminent for sure.

A q for you. How do I just show the last 100 games in HM2, i have looked through all of the filters but can't seem to suss it?

Steve
    • TheFireBeard
      TheFireBeard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 177272

A q for you. How do I just show the last 100 games in HM2, i have looked through all of the filters but can't seem to suss it?

Steve
      Not sure about that one Steve. The best I can think of is to use the "Date Range" button to select the dates which you roughly think you played those 100 games in. But to show the exact latest 100 games I'm not sure. Good luck with it mate
    • Shuttled
      Shuttled
      Bronze
      Good stuff! subbed :s_biggrin:
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheFireBeard
      Originally posted by 177272

Steve
      Not sure about that one Steve. The best I can think of is to use the "Date Range" button to select the dates which you roughly think you played those 100 games in. But to show the exact latest 100 games I'm not sure. Good luck with it mate
      Yup found out. You can't do it FAF all the millions of things it can do and it can't do number of games, typical me.
    • shanesmith
      shanesmith
      Global
      Good luck at the $3.50,s matt *millionare* firebeard :)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by shanesmith
      Good luck at the $3.50,s matt *millionare* firebeard :)
      Looks like you'll be on your cruise well before I have my Gold Coast penthouse. :tongue:

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi :D
    • TheFireBeard
      TheFireBeard
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for the well wishes.
      Though I think you spoke too soon Lazza :P

27th October, 2014

So I moved up to the $3.50s! They haven't been kind to me though :D

Bye-bye bankroll ;)

This week I got the flu and took the strongest medication I could get without a prescription, so that I could heal as quickly as possible. This didn't work in my favour though, the pills I took had codeine in them, which made me feel less sick, but also clouded my brain and lessened my ability to concentrate, which did bad things for my game as I was playing. I chose to try to limit my volume while I was playing at a sub-optimal level, hence why I didn't finish my 1k volume goal.

But this was a blessing in disguise, because having time away from the tables allowed me to devote more time to reading a new book I received in the mail: Poker's 1% by Ed Miller. This opened up a whole new world of poker to me. If you haven't read the book: Don't read it, because you will get way way better at poker and I won't be able to exploit you anymore :P
      I'm crazy excited now, because I get to rebuild my game from the ground up. Still keeping my general strategy in line with what I've learnt over the past few months, but completely changing the way I look at post-flop situations. I strongly believe that if I put in some hard work over the next few months, I'll have a big post-flop edge over the regs at the $3.50s.

Thanks again to all you guys reading this blog. Play hard and run good :s_love:
      Bronze
      UL mate, but love the positive post. Just a minor set back no doubt.
    • shanesmith
      shanesmith
      Global
      Keep plugging away old lad, we have faith you will turn this round :)
    • Exposedd
      Exposedd
      Bronze
      Keep it up! Don;et let the stupid downswing get to you!
    • TheFireBeard
      TheFireBeard
      Bronze
      Thanks for the support guys! It definitely helped :D

2nd November, 2014

So... this happened:

I'm always running so far above EV that I'm convinced I'm a poker prodigy. It's not often that the tables are graced with someone as quick-witted and naturally good as me. As such, I'm proud to announce that I'll be depositing my life savings into pokerstars and moving up to the $100 hyper turbos next week! I'd ask you to wish me luck, but it seems I have enough of that already. :s_cool:

Of course, I'm kidding :P

I've been lazy with study this week. I feel that part of this laziness is because I'm becoming complacent with my push/fold ability. I feel I have a solid grasp of the <10bb stack size part of the game, and I've memorized 90% of the profitable open shoving ranges according to Nash Equilibrium. BUT THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. One thing I've learnt from the rapper 50 Cent's life story is that whenever you feel comfortable, whenever you feel like you've got everything under control, whenever you feel like the money will never stop flowing in, THAT IS WHEN YOU WILL FAIL! Complacency breeds laziness, contentment breeds lack of focus. Even though I feel like I know the ranges and can autopilot pre-flop, I still have leaks!! One leak I can think of is pre-flop calling ranges when late position players shove all-in. My calling ranges are alarmingly inconsistent, and this is my next big thing to focus on. Furthermore, since moving up to the $3.50s, I'm now in an environment with twice the amount of regs, and it would be in my best interest to analyse their game and figure out how to exploit them. Because if they are anything like me, they will have many leaks and inconsistencies. One thing I see often is unbalanced ranges (eg: minraising with <10bb stacks when they hold monsters), so I know there is more to be found.

Next weeks goals:
      - 500 sample size of SimpleNash quiz for preflop calling ranges
      - 13 tabling
      - 1k games minimum, including a day where I play 300 games
      - hit $75 in VIP rewards for goldstar
      - AT LEAST 1 hour of session review every day, including work days
    • shanesmith
      shanesmith
      Global
      Nice work bro, never ever stand still, for every hour played have 20% study, you stand still and I will baseball bat ya, you here me? (and lend me ya graph for a week plz)

Keep up the good work.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Awesome update (not you Shane ;) ). Love this as a quote:

Complacency breeds laziness, contentment breeds lack of focus.
      :s_thumbsup:
      Bronze
      Well done mate, love it when hard work pays dividends.