Postgresql on SSD, yes or no

• SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Hello poker players and geeks :)

I have been looking around google but haven't found a definitive answer.

Does postgresql harm the SSD significantly ?
      My postgresql database works on my ssd drive and I think there is a lot of writing going on there, right?

Should I move it to my regular hard drive ?

Where will I feel the performance drop ? while using HM2 ?

Thanks,
      Sneakyhand.
  • 7 replies
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Platinum
      I am no expert, but i think you are looking at this other way around, i think you want postgres on your ssd because there is a lot of stuff going on, so you get your information faster, at least that would be the reason why i would get sdd in first place - to use it.

It also depends how good is your other hdd, if its quite new and its speed (rpm/s or smth like that) is high than you prob wont feel dramatic changes in performance, if you are using hem for hud and some basic stuff.

Biggest performance drop should be while creating reports and working with huge databases, this is the part where ssd comes handy as it needs to filter a lot of data.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I've been running my postgresql 8.4 db on my SSD ever since I got it, I love it, and if it does trash my SSD, I'll just get another -- I'm never going back.

Which tracker are you using it with?
      Ask them for their recommendation -- just post in the forum here. Both HM2 and PT4 and staff that monitor the forums.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Thanks for advice Vorpal, is it possible to move this thread to this pleased forum, please ? (HM2)
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      Software trashing SSDs is just a old rumour from the early days of SSDs.

Having Postgresql on a SSD will give you a significant performance boost but please buy your SSD large enough, especially if you are going to use Notecaddy you will need a lot of space depending on the amount of hands in your database and the NC definitions you use.
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by netsrak

Having Postgresql on a SSD will give you a significant performance boost but please buy your SSD large enough, especially if you are going to use Notecaddy you will need a lot of space depending on the amount of hands in your database and the NC definitions you use.

Thank you very much
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by netsrak

I went with 225 GB, but I also have a 1.5 TB conventional drive too. The conventional drive holds all data the the OS does not require on the system drive.

For example, HM2 likes to place its archive on c:\HM2Archive -- mine is on G:\HM2Archive.

I also have a NAS device -- all my big stuff -- photos, videos, backups etc are on that.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      By the time your SSD dies from so much writing, if you haven't earned enough money from poker that you can't buy another SSD then you should just quit.
      I have 120gb SSD and run PT4 on it, the SSD cost 60euros, if mine dies I would just get another one. SSD's are pretty sweet.