More I play, more I lose

• DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      It's simple as that. Today i my 10th consecutive losing day... It doesn't sound like much, but I have lost 10 full BI (1000BB) at NL30. At full ring.
      l I can't win anything. 10 losing days. Oh my god...
      I won't even post the hands here, because, well, you have all seen the suckouts. :) Villains are just sucking out...

I just need to whine a little, usually it helps.

It is just hard to play, when you expect a lossing session. I very much know this is wrong, but it seriously very very hard to do the opposite. It try to be optimistic. I took a whole MONTH off poker, I got a job, and recently started from scratch. Same crap happens!

Currently I'm just playing back to ABC poker, it usually works. This time doesn't.

I'm still in good hopes, just grinding and hoping the downswing ends. Breakeven would be heavenly. :)

I'm hoping you guys have more luck! ;) Just leave some money to the fishes, so when this ugly period ends, I can kick ass again. :)
  • 10 replies
    • HoofdVogel
      HoofdVogel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrFunk
      Currently I'm just playing back to ABC poker, it usually works. This time doesn't.
      Keep playing ABC poker on these limits, no need to play different on these limits.
      Monthbreaks are a bit long, a day or a couple days are enough to clear youre mind.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      same as you, ive lost like 14-15BIs now on NL20 with fullstack. Im gonna get to gold then I'm gonna stop for a few days/weeks, its not worth playing when variance is against us :)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Im taking it easy on the tables, playing less hours because recently Im losing or breaking even...
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      same as you, ive lost like 14-15BIs now on NL20 with fullstack. Im gonna get to gold then I'm gonna stop for a few days/weeks, its not worth playing when variance is against us :)
      You should put the blame on yourself so you can improve your game.. if you say its variance or an external factor you won't improve (even if it was bad beats, but I am sure in at least half of your losses it was different)
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      You should put the blame on yourself so you can improve your game.. if you say its variance or an external factor you won't improve (even if it was bad beats, but I am sure in at least half of your losses it was different)
      nah I used to never blame variance and I even thought there were no such things as downswings, just players who made bad plays and blame variance.

cant say that anymore though, variance just isnt on my side. sure I made a couple mistakes but I didnt lose 14BIs because of them
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      bah this is definitely variance, I'm just folding too many AA, KK postflop and get raised all the time when i cant call... my QQ getting AK flops, this just sucks :( After all we're all dependent on luck to win... And not to say how many weeks ago I dont win a full BI on one hand... I'm pretty sure I'm playing well, when does this end? :(
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      bah this is definitely variance, I'm just folding too many AA, KK postflop

so you just said, I'm playing bad ergo variance...
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Hi again. :)

Well, the downswing does not seem to be over, it's really sick what is happening lately.

I have one question though. How do you motivate yourself after 13th consecutive losing day? Thirteen! 13!!! I'm really starting to have a negative mindset toward winning. Before I go and play I'm pretty much convinced that I will have a losing day. And it is going on for over a month.

I mean, it is really hard to even start playing, not to mention having the mindset to play your A game and crush the games again. I play and I play, have a few days break, but it keeps on going. I think the downswing is starting to have a serious impact on my play.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      When I was playing Nl10-100SH I had losing swings up to 15 BI in the space of 2-3 days. Its really frustrating, but its just something you need to accept. You can't just blame variance or just blame yourself. I'd say it's ALWAYS a combination of the two. You can't say you played every hand perfect, and you can't say you never got unlucky during a loosing period so obviously it's not just one or the other.

The best thing for me is just to 'ignore' the swings (easier said than done, I know :tongue: ) and focus all my energy on playing to the best of my ability. If I'm confident I'm playing the best I can then I can't have regrets about losing sometimes. I think this is the biggest thing you need to work on... when you're at the tables you can't think about 'winning' or 'loosing', you have to be thinking about making correct decisions in every situation.

I'm sure you can make it through ;) No winning players make it without encountering setbacks.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrFunk
      Hi again. :)

Well, the downswing does not seem to be over, it's really sick what is happening lately.

I have one question though. How do you motivate yourself after 13th consecutive losing day? Thirteen! 13!!! I'm really starting to have a negative mindset toward winning. Before I go and play I'm pretty much convinced that I will have a losing day. And it is going on for over a month.

I mean, it is really hard to even start playing, not to mention having the mindset to play your A game and crush the games again. I play and I play, have a few days break, but it keeps on going. I think the downswing is starting to have a serious impact on my play.

1. Post your big pot losing hands on the forum for analysis.
      2. Post your small pot losing hands where you were not sure what to do.
      3. Post your winning hands where you were not sure what to do.
      4. Identify what you did wrong and what you should have done.
      5. Try not to make the same mistake again.
      6. If you didn't make any mistakes(yea,right) then they were bad beats and you should be happy there's fish out there calling with worse.
      7. Take a break from poker, play less tables or play less hours until you feel ready again.