Can you be succesful just playing Sit n Go's and MTT's?

• Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      I have been playing a month and a half now (properly at least) and there seems to be no doubt that I play much better in these games that ring cash games. I have steadily lost money in the ring games and took my initial $50 down to about $22. I have however won 5-6 MTT's now, just dollar or two buy in's but from 45-490 players. I pretty consistently place in these as well as small sit and go's. However most players seem to make most of their money in the ring games from what I understand. I have managed to get the $22 up to about $370 now so I guess it can be done. Opinions?

Cheers
      Jonaton
  • 5 replies
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      To make money with MTT's you must have big bankroll, a lot of time and big nerves. But there are so many grinders that play SNG's and they make a lot of money.

You can play a lot of tables and on the low limits the opponents are so bad, that is very profitable to grind.

Best regards,
      kukkiwonBG
    • Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      Part of my problem is I seem to play better against better players and I find the call anything and pray of the low limit tables harder to play against than players who play seriously. The only time I have made money in ring games is the two times I played outside my BR (which I no longer do).
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      You need to get the "I play better against better players" mentality out of your head right away.

You want to play against poor players. I doubt very much if your sample size at ring games is anywhere near large enough at the moment.

You can easily go through a downswing where poor players consistently crack your AA with a stupid 2 pair hand on the river. THAT'S GOOD!! It might not seem it at the time but it is.

Do you really believe that players who play ATC are going to beat you in the long run if you always play quality hands? Of course they won't. If you sit down at a cash game in the future, remember to say this to yourself, "I WANT TO PLAY AGAINST POOR PLAYERS".

Sometimes it feels like a lottery when playing against poor players, but in reality it isn't. Just remember that in the long run playing quality hands will make you a winner against the fish.
    • Urbanen
      Urbanen
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by PokerHammer
      You need to get the "I play better against better players" mentality out of your head right away.

"I WANT TO PLAY AGAINST POOR PLAYERS".
      quote]

Very well said, you make the money from their mistakes!. Although odds are in your favour, luck can still be against you. Just persist.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      my BR is currently around $1761 and I mainly play 9 handed SnGs
      I play 4-9 tables profitably. It is posssible to build a BR with SnGs