Passion & Poker

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Hello PS community.

Today i just wanted to discuss our passions and poker.
      Once upon a time, when i used to play live, play alot more with friends and less online, i felt way better about poker. It wasn't a "grind", i had alot of fun and really just enjoyed playing the game and trying to figure out things by myself.
      But as of lately, like many of you, i've been playing alot more online and multi-tabling.

I was just wondering if anyone else is feeling like myself, feeling like multi-tabling is becoming more of a job then a hobby. Don't get me wrong, i want to work at poker and become a better player - but i feel the more i dive into to it - with strategy and how much volume you have to put in, in order for varience to even out, the more i'm losing passion for the game itself.

I'm currently thinking of perhaps just limiting myself to 1 table of Zoom instead of my usual 4, and really try to feel the game again.

So my main question to you is, how do you currently feel about poker? And if you have felt like i've feel, and managed to regain your passion, what steps did you take to ignite the fire once again?

Thanks!
  • 4 replies
    • 4empion
      4empion
      Bronze
      Hi. I had felt like you... If you don't take recoil from your kind of activity - it will need throw or take a break express. It's all the same nothing good from it.
      I met with poker 3-4 years ago and dreamed, that it will be wonderful free single work for me. It was be very interesting play in poker. But now I'm understand, this is not the case. I faced the next challenge: Tilt, heat. In results ''i'm losing passion for the game itself''.
      Now I ''try to feel the game again'', how you had write. For this I had do the next steps:

1. Broken my dream: to get fix up in a job.
      2. Set a goal myself in the real live.
      3. Take a break in the poker (for me it was be one month)
      4. Set a goal myself in the poker.
      5. Begun playing and go to the my goal, actually remember of it.

It was be do recently (only one month), but I already have nice results and , the chief, I'm try to feel the game again. I'm thinking , that psychological staff -
      the grandest staff in the success any work, not only the poker.

And the last: if you want play many table at once and save you good feeling to the game , you need train your mind: attention, memory... And you must be train your level in the poker, of cause, actually. And, the grand: you must be feel to good in this work.

(Sorry for my english: I'm from Russia)
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Obviously for me poker is a job and not a hobby anymore, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer your question. But still... Even though it's a job, it's still fun for me... Generally speaking :) I don't know about you, but battling with other regs is so much fun for me. Of course there are bad moments (losing days, downswings, tired of grinding), but that's basically in every other job there is.

The biggest problem here is that ppl are equaling having fun with winning. And with poker, that's a problem, because you can't win constantly. Specially now when games are tough. So maybe you should think that poker is just another video game. I love games, but besides few instances, I'm really bad at them. But that doesn't stop me from having fun :)

You could also try some other (predictable?) solutions:
      - Switching from Zoom (which is the most robotic variant of game) to regular tables?
      - Play live from time to time, to break monotony.
      - Play some other game. For example, go to PLO2 and gamble a bit. How's that not fun? :)
      - Take a break.
      - Write a poker blog, record some sessions, comment on your play.
      - Do a challenge.
      - Join a promo on your site.
      - Find some poker friends to talk poker with.
      - Rail high stakes games :P

GL
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Platinum
      I think Corey summed it up quite good.
      I had a similar dilemma a while back, the way i got my passion back was through studying, i learnt to appreciate it i wanted to learn something new everyday. At least for me it is quite exciting thing :D .
      I can recommend a good book for this - The Art Of Learning by Josh Waitzkin.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      stop playing zoom, reg tables are much more interesting and fun