Why is the postion called that way?

• Kytzy
      Kytzy
      Basic
      I understand it from a basic hold'em strategy view of the game. meaning early middle and late and that's all i know.

why is the UTG called that way... Hijack the postion that steals.. Why is Cutoff called that way... what does he cuts off.. the best position right... who has the gun??? gunning for something or somebody?? (doesn't that means to bet? to fire the gun?)
      before the hand starts... who shoots who? the dealer shoots the small blind? the small blind shoots the big blind... on this theory the UTG is UTG of the Big blind???
  • 7 replies
    • jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      It may have it roots from the wild west I don't know lol.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi Kytzy,

As far as I know, "under the gun" means something like "under pressure" in this case, and the position is called that way because the player UTG is under pressure to go first preflop, and typically play out of position postflop.

The Cutoff is called that way because he cuts off the dealer's ability to steal the blinds.

I'm not completely sure about any of this, though, so if anyone knows any better, feel free to correct me.
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      money man money, cut off steal blinds ,re raise ug orr double bb or sg CO D BEST LAST TOO BET,confusois say use the hud for this
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Originally posted by htghguuh
      money man money, cut off steal blinds ,re raise ug orr double bb or sg CO D BEST LAST TOO BET,confusois say use the hud for this
      +1
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Harrier88

The Cutoff is called that way because he cuts off the dealer's ability to steal the blinds.

And the Hijack is called such because he hijacks the CO's chance of cutting off the button (dealer).
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skodljivec
      Originally posted by htghguuh
      +1
      +1
    • rtweedale
      rtweedale
      Bronze
      Hi-jack is standing with the gun. Under the gun is the man facing the gun.