Can't beat the rake

• Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      So I received the $50 starting money a couple of days ago, all ready to use @ Mansion Poker (IPoker sucks big time, but of course I already had accounts on all the sites I'd like to play at :) )
      I went on to play $0.10/$0.20. Didnt really work out as I lost $25 pretty fast. After that I won a bit, and thanks to $10 of cleared bonus I'm almost back where I started.

I multitable $0.10/$0.20 limit fr, played 5500 hands there and my winnings are -$16 (-2.97 bb/100) :(
      But ... I payed $34 to mister Rake!!!
      So actually I am a winning player (if you can say anything about that with that sample), but this rake is killing me!

I am sure my game has leaks, but is it even possible to beat these stakes with the rake??
      How did you deal with this, people that build there bankroll from $50 playing limit? How high were your winrates? Did you stick to the starting hands chart (like I try)?

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      The rake is always big, but 0.10/0.20 FR is definitely beatable. I had a winrate of 2 PTBB/100 for some 15k hands at that limit (playing with the $50 starting capital). :)

Always stick to the SHC (basic or bronze), and you'll be ok. :D

GL.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      I think I've been running bad, not hitting outs too many times when given odds to call etc. But there must be some things I'm not doing right.

I'm playing approx 10 tables. This forces me to think quickly and really get the shc into my head. I probably make some mistakes postflop. But playing 10 tables really forces me to play my own cards and not try to pick off on peoples tendencies etc. I've been playing quite some 6max nl before, but I really want to get back to the root and go from there on. I'm not gonna read the bronze strategies until I got the basics right and can play my hands kinda robotically.

I'm gonna review every hand and write down all mistakes I made (according to the basic strategy) after every hour of play from now on.

O, and just to let you know, if that doesnt work out, I'm suing you, Amirapuato ;)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Ka0s,

The rake is definitely beatable- especially if you are playing tight and not getting involved in too many unnecessary pots. If you are still working on your pre-flop / postflop game then by all means don't 10 table! Play 4 tables at the max and perfect your game. You have to first establish quality before you get into quantity.

As it is right now you will probably lose money due to leaks and lose even more due to multi-tabling.

Post hands in the sample hands board, watch videos, read articles and visit coachings :) If you work on your game relentlessly you will have no problems moving up limits.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Thanks for replying both of you,

I took your advice SoyCD, at least for a little while :D
      I started with 4 tables, but kept adding one whenever I felt comfortable I still played all hands according to the basic strategy (focussing on quality). I ended up with 9 tables again :)
      I can take it because I'm not a total newbie and basically it's pretty much fold, fold, fold.
      Of course I will cut back down to 3 or 4 tables when I'm inplementing new strategies.

After reading the basic strategy again and watching the videos, I realized there were some standard postflop situations where I was making mistakes. Of course postflop is where the most money is won/lost.

I played 1000 more hands @ 11 bb/100 (not ptbb).

Thanks again, I'm really feeling more comfortable now knowing that I'm on the right track.